Marie, Ontario, Canada. Commonly shortened to Algoma U or simply Algoma, Algoma University, is a public or open designated university with its main campus in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada.
The university is a teaching-focused, student-centered postsecondary institution specializing in the liberal arts, sciences, management, and professional degree programs. However, Its vision is particularly aimed at the needs of Northern Ontario.
Located on the former site of the Shingwauk Indian Residential School, Algoma University has a Special Mission to provide and cultivate cross-cultural learning between Aboriginal populations and other communities. Algoma University also offers a course in its satellite campuses at Brampton and Timmins, Ontario.
Algoma University was founded in 1965 and was an affiliated college of Laurentian University in Sudbury. Not until June 18, 2008, that it became officially known as Algoma University College. Made possible by the legislation of the Algoma University Act in 2008, becoming the 19th University in Ontario, Canada, it is also the smallest university in Ontario.
|Type of University||Public|
|Number of Academic Programs offered||30|
|Strength of Students||1600|
|Student: Faculty Ratio||14:1|
|Percentage of International Students||27% (around 30 countries)|
|Famous for||Computer Science Program|
|Domestic Tuition Fee per year||CAD 6,327|
|International Tuition Fee per year||CAD 16,431|
|Language Requirements for International Students||TOEFL, IELTS, MELAB, CanTEST, CAEL and Pearson Test of English (PTE)|
In this article
- Algoma University Ratings
- ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT
- Algoma Application Procedures
- OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT
- HOW TO APPLY
- Algoma University Enrollment
- Attendance Cost
- Tuition fees
- INTERNATIONAL BACCALAUREATE
- Academic Financing At Algoma University
- Algoma University Programs
- Graduate Certificates
- Undergraduate Certificate Programs
- Algoma University Admission Requirements
- Algoma University Admission Requirement For Int’l Students
- Algoma University Admission Requirements For Nigerian Students
- Algoma University Admission Requirements For Indonesian Students
- Algoma University Admission Requirements For Chinese Students
- International Student Scholarship
- International Baccalaureate Scholarship
- Entrance Scholarships
Algoma University Ratings
Based on 18 Students Rating
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT
Below is the minimum English language requirements for international applicants whose first language is not English, therefore, to apply as an international student, you must meet one of these English language test.
- If you are an applicant who has not met the English language requirements, you can also get admitted through the university’s English for Academic Purposes Program (EAPP).
- Once you complete the program at level 4 or 5 with a grade of 80% and above, you will be credited to have satisfied the English Language requirement. This will award you three credits toward your academic studies.
- This Pathway does not apply to students applying to any programming in the School of Business and Economics.
Note: if you apply for admission at the Timmins campus of the institution, you will be assessed individually.
Algoma Application Procedures
As an international student looking for admission to the university, you are to follow the under-listed admission steps:
- Application Portal: Online Application
- Application Fee: 125 CAD
- Supporting Documents- The following are the required documents you must provide
- Secondary School Certificate
- Higher Secondary School Certificate (CBSE/ISC/State Board)
- Proof of English Language proficiency
- Copy of Passport with photograph page
- Specific program requirements
- Make sure to submit copies of all your transcripts, including secondary school transcripts, secondary school diplomas, postsecondary school transcripts, and diplomas/degrees, if applicable. You must upload your documents on the AU Application Portal.
- Should any school and transcripts not indicated in your academic history come to light after you have been offered admission, such documents will not be considered for transfer credit evaluation.
- All your documents must come with an Official English Language translation if the original documents are not in English.
What is considered to be an official transcript?
By definition, an official transcript is a transcript that has been sent directly by the issuing institution or education authority using the sending institution’s security features (e.g., secure paper, institutional seal, secure digital encryption, etc.) and which has not been handled by the student in any way.
Official transcripts are often requested for several reasons, will include the following but not limited:
- Confirmation of a student’s unconditional admission,
- Transfer credit evaluations,
- Scholarship assessment, or
- Cases of suspected fraudulent documents.
SENDING HARD COPY BY MAIL
It is important to note that you only have to mail official transcripts if you are requested to do so. However, if the official hard copies of your documents have been requested, you should mail them to the address below:
1520 Queen Street East
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada
SENDING DIGITAL COPY
Upload your encrypted digital copies to your applicant portal (direct AU Application Portal applicants only) or email them to [email protected] (direct applicants and OUAC applicants).
HOW TO APPLY
To apply to Algoma University, follow the under-listed procedure:
- Complete your checklist for the application.
- Gather and submit your documents following the document submission guidelines.
- Supply your official Transcripts.
- Follow the Algoma U. Applyproof process.
Undergraduate Programs: 100.0%
Total Applicants: 1600
Total Enrolled: 1600
Algoma University Enrollment
Algoma University Enrollment: 1600
Undergraduate Enrollment: 1600
Attendance Cost: $13,714
The fees below show the average yearly cost of attendance for international students. Nevertheless, the amount may vary based on the type of course chosen, your preferred accommodation, and your spending habits.
Undergraduate Programs: $13,714 / Year
Residence Room: $5,410 / Year
Meal Plan: $4,600 / Year
- You can be accepted for admission if you have completed an IB Diploma program with a minimum of 26 points.
- A candidate who has scored at least 28 points or higher you qualify for International Entrance Scholarship consideration under a specific IB scale.
- You will have gained consideration for credit transfer if you have achieved 28 points, with a minimum grade of 5 in either Standard (SL) or Higher (HL) Level courses.
Note: transfer credits are often given for a maximum of 30 credits, equivalent to year one of full-time study. Credits will be assessed on an individual basis.
Academic Financing At Algoma University
Knowing the cost and financial implications of your desired educational pursuit in Canada as a foreign student can not be overemphasized, therefore it is important to have an estimate of the cost of living in Canada so as to plan adequately ahead and be able to ensure your comfort. Below is an estimated cost and tuition for the 2020 Spring semester.
Algoma University Programs
The under-listed are programs offered by Algoma University
- Anishinaabe Studies
- Business Administration
- Community Development
- Community Economic & Social Development
- Computer Science
- Engineering First Year
- Environmental Science
- Finance & Economics
- Geography & Geology
- Law & Justice
- Political Science
- Social Work
- Visual Arts
The following under-listed are graduate certificate programs offered at Algoma University:
- One-year graduate certificate in Business
- “graduate certificate in Computer Science
- “graduate certificate in Environmental Science
- “graduate certificate in Health Science
- Two years graduate certificate in Human Resources and Business Management
- One year graduate certificate in Human Resource Management
- “graduate certificate in Information Technology
- One year graduate certificate in Mobile Software Development
- Two years graduate certificate in Project Management: Resilience and Innovation
Undergraduate Certificate Programs
- Certificate in Business
- “in Human Resource Management
- Certificate in Marketing Management
- “in Accounting
- Certificate in Community Economic and Social Development
- “in First Nation Social Policy and Community Development
- Certificate in Computing
- “in Geomatics
- Certificate in Akii and Environmental Stewardship
- “in Information Technology
- Certificate in Law and Justice
- “in Public Policy and Administration
- Certificate in Social Welfare
- Interdisciplinary Aboriginal Learning Certificate
Algoma University Admission Requirements
To be eligible for admission to Algoma University, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Candidates applying with postsecondary certificates must disclose this on the application and arrange for the official transcript to be sent.
- Transfer credits may be awarded and determined upon official transcripts receipt.
- A notarized English translation must accompany all documents issued in a language other than English.
- Proof of English Language proficiency
- The transcript must be issued directly by the institution to be considered official.
Algoma University Admission Requirement For Int’l Students
Admission requirements to Algoma University are by Country and the National Curriculum.
This means that each international candidate will be assessed for admission based on their country’s educational curriculum, which is equivalent to Canada’s high school curriculum as a basis for admission to postsecondary education in Canada.
You choose your country and the curriculum that applies to you from the application portal to see more specific requirements:
- If the Ministry of Education recognizes your school and it follows the national curriculum of your country, the admission requirements listed below apply to you.
- If your school follows a curriculum accredited by a country other than that in which you are studying, please select that country from the main list and refer to the requirements for that specific country.
- If you are applying with postsecondary schooling, you must disclose this on the application and arrange for the official, sealed transcripts to be mailed directly from your issuing institution to Algoma University.
- You may be awarded transfer credit, but this will be determined upon receipt of your official, sealed transcripts to be mailed directly from your issuing institution to Algoma University.
- Remember that a notarized English translation must accompany any of your documents issued in a language other than English.
- When proof of English language proficiency is required, test results must be issued directly from the Examining Board. Please refer to the language proficiency requirements for acceptable tests and required scores at the bottom of this page.
- Temporarily, photocopied and notarized copies of your transcripts and documents may be accepted only for a conditional offer of admission. Your transcripts must be issued directly by your institution to be considered official.
Algoma University Admission Requirements For Nigerian Students
- Applicants must have a minimum of 5 subjects (including required courses) with Grades of C5 or higher (one C6 may be allowed as long as it is not a required course), which may be with the West African Certificate Examination results.
- International candidates must apply through the Canadian University application center in Nigeria.
Algoma University Admission Requirements For Indonesian Students
- These applicants must provide proof of English Language proficiency with the Sekolah Menengah At.
- Applicants from this country who do not reside in Canada must apply through the Canadian University Application Centre in Indonesia.
Algoma University Admission Requirements For Chinese Students
- Candidates from China must provide a Graduation Certificate and Graduation Diploma, Original and English Translation.
- Must provide proof of English language proficiency
- Must have Senior School Certificate Diploma
International Student Scholarship
GCE (Cambridge/Pearson) A – Level Scholarship
General Certificate of Education Advanced Level (“A” Levels)
The top two “A” level subjects are required for award purposes (“AS” is not acceptable).
|A* + A||$5000 (Chancellor’s – Renewable)|
|A + A||$2500 (President’s – Non-Renewable)|
|B+A or B+B||$1000 (Dean’s – Non-Renewable)|
|B+C or C+C||$500 (Award of Excellence – Non-Renewable)|
* English Language proficiency test not required
International Baccalaureate Scholarship
International Baccalaureate students must provide official transcripts and proof of their IB Diploma, to qualify for an unconditional entrance scholarship.
|Points Awarded||Scholarship Tier|
|34+||$5000 (Chancellor’s – Renewable)|
|31 – 33||$2500 (President’s – Non-Renewable)|
|28 – 30||$1000 (Dean’s – Non-Renewable)|
* English Language proficiency test not required
- Chancellor’s Award $5,000 renewable scholarship
- President’s Award $ 2,500 non-renewable scholarship
- Dean’s Award $1, 000 non – renewable
- Award of Excellence $500 non-renewable
For more detailed information on these scholarships and the criteria to win the awards, visit the link: https://algomau.ca/students/awards-scholarships/entrance-awards/international-scholarships/