Steps in Getting an Antigua and Barbuda Residence Permit
Are you wondering how to obtain Antigua and Barbuda Residence Permit? If that is the case, this blog post offers much for you to learn.
There are many reasons why foreign nationals may need to extend their stay in Antigua and Barbuda. Some common reasons include when married to a citizen, enrolled in a school within the country, or employed by an Antigua and Barbuda-based company.
Generally speaking, living in Antigua and Barbuda has many advantages, such as that the country has a warm climate and numerous tourist attractions to visit year-round. These include Nelson’s Dockyard, Long Island, Darkwood Beach, and Galley Bay.
This blog post will discuss how foreign nationals can get Antigua, and Barbuda Residence Permit no matter their origin. This blog post also covers the eligibility criteria, required documents, and more.
What is Antigua and Barbuda Residence Permit?
An Antiguan and Barbudan residence permit is an authorization for foreign nationals to stay for an extended time in Antigua and Barbuda as long as they have been living legally or married to a citizen of the country.
To obtain this permit, you must apply through the Immigration Department of the Government of Antigua Barbuda.
Furthermore, there are wide-ranging categories of Antiguan and Barbudan residence permits for work visa holders (A), students (C), married persons (B), entrepreneurs and investors (D), homeowners and retirees (E), as well as persons of independent means (F).
It is equally essential that Antiguan and Barbudan residence permit holders adhere to the country’s laws, including avoiding tax evasion.
Benefits of Holding Antigua and Barbuda Residence Permit
A residence permit for Antigua and Barbuda offers several benefits to its holders, as follows.
- It allows its holders to study, work or live in any location within the country. Besides, you can change your job anytime without losing your residency permit.
- The Antiguan and Barbudan law protects foreign nationals with valid residence permits.
- The permit qualifies its holders for several social benefits, such as healthcare coverage.
- Antigua and Barbuda Residence Permit holders are eligible to apply for citizenship after seven years of being a legal resident.
- Supposing that you included your dependents in your Antigua and Barbuda residence permit application, they can stay with you in the country as long as your application gets approved.
Eligibility Criteria for Antigua and Barbuda Residence Permit
To be eligible for an Antiguan and Barbudan residence permit, you must fulfill the following conditions.
- You must have been a legal resident of Antigua and Barbuda for a minimum of four years. Contrarily, you are eligible, supposing you’ve been married to a country citizen for at least one year.
- It is equally important not to be an illegal resident or have a criminal record in the country.
Antigua and Barbuda Residence Permit Requirements
While applying for an Antiguan and Barbudan residence permit, you must provide the documents listed below to the nearest embassy or consulate.
- Your original passport (must be valid)
- A photocopy of your passport’s bio-data page
- Proof of completing the required fees
- A Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) issued by the authorities in Antigua and Barbuda or anywhere you’ve stayed for more than six months
- Medical certificate obtained from a healthcare specialist in line with the Immigration Department, Government of Antigua Barbuda.
- Birth certificate (if applicable)
- Marriage certificate (required to prove that you are in matrimony with a citizen of Antigua and Barbuda)
- Letter from Statutory Boards to demonstrate you have paid your taxes
Take note that the Chief Immigration Officer may request the submission of other documents while reviewing and deciding on your Antigua and Barbuda residence permit application.
Limitations of Antigua and Barbuda Residence Permit
Here are descriptions of several things that a residence permit for Antigua and Barbuda disallows for its holders.
- You are ineligible to work in the country, supposing that you hold a non-worker resident certificate.
- Foreign nationals with an Antiguan and Barbudan residence permit cannot participate in any political activity.
- You must discontinue your stay in Antigua and Barbuda if found guilty of a severe crime and have been instructed to depart from the country.
How to Get Antigua and Barbuda Residence Permit
To get a residence permit for Antigua and Barbuda, you are required to apply to the country’s Immigration Department. Its application process is easy to undertake and would not take much time.
Undoubtedly, it is ideal for applying for the permit in person. However, the Chief Immigration Officer at the Immigration Department will confirm your eligibility for a residence permit before deciding on your application.
Validity Period of Antigua and Barbuda Residence Permit
An Antiguan and Barbudan residence permit is valid for a period ranging from one to three years. Its holders can stay in the country for education, employment, or any other relevant purposes without a few restrictions during its validity period.
Can I Lose my Antigua and Barbuda Residency Permit?
Yes, the Chief Immigration Officer may declare your Antiguan and Barbudan residency permit invalid for some reasons.
These include if:-
- You are no longer married due to divorce or because your spouse, a citizen of Antigua and Barbuda, is deceased. However, you can extend your stay in the country by applying for a residency permit not more than three months after the revocation.
- Relocate from Antigua and Barbuda.
- Participate in politics or promote racism in the country.
- Are guilty of a crime either within or outside Antigua and Barbuda.
- Were discovered to be a fraudster.
- Pose a national security threat to Antigua and Barbuda.
- Travel outside the country constantly for more than six months.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Who needs to apply for Antigua and Barbuda Residence Permit?
Foreigners who intend to stay in Antigua and Barbuda for an extended period must apply for a residence permit. The permit is valid for up to three years and has several categories for various needs.
Where do I submit my Antigua and Barbuda Residence Permit application?
You must submit your application for an Antiguan and Barbudan residence permit at the Immigration Department of the Government of Antigua Barbuda in St. John’s.
Can foreigners work in Antigua and Barbuda?
Yes, foreign nationals can work in Antigua and Barbuda with a valid work permit. However, Antiguan and Barbudan employers must handle the application process for their prospective employees’ work permits. Undoubtedly, its application process can be tricky, as the employer must first search for a qualified person to assume the job position within Antigua and Barbuda. If unable to find one, they can then hire a foreign worker.
Is it easy to get Antigua and Barbuda Residence Permit?
Yes, getting a residency permit for Antigua and Barbuda is a bit easy. Several ways to qualify for the permit include investment, enrollment in an educational institution, or getting married to a citizen.
Can the holder of an Antiguan and Barbudan residence permit vote in elections?
No, Antigua and Barbuda Residence Permit holders must not participate in any political activity, such as voting in elections.
Who issues Antigua and Barbuda permanent residence certificates?
The Chief Immigration Officer at the Government of Antigua Barbuda’s Immigration Department is responsible for issuing permanent residence certificates to eligible applicants.
How do I contact the Immigration Department of the Government of Antigua Barbuda?
There are various ways to get in touch with the Government of Antigua Barbuda’s Immigration Department. First, you can visit its physical location in the country’s capital city in St. John’s; Long and Thames Streets. Another way is to dial (268)-562-1387 or (268)-562-1389 on your telephone or (268)-562-1388 for faxing. You can also send an email to [email protected]
What is the duration of an Antiguan and Barbudan residence permit?
The duration of an Antiguan and Barbudan residence permit is for only three years. On the contrary, depending on your application, its validity period can be for a lesser time.
Can foreigners buy property in Antigua and Barbuda?
Yes, foreigners can become property owners in Antigua and Barbuda. The process of purchasing one is relatively simple as there are several prestigious real estate agents to assist you all through.
Can an application for an Antiguan and Barbudan residence permit be rejected?
Yes, a foreigner’s application for an Antiguan and Barbudan residence permit can be rejected for one or more reasons. Decisions on approvals and rejection are among the responsibilities of the Chief Immigration Officer at the Immigration Department, Government of Antigua Barbuda.
RECOMMENDED LINK: How to Obtain an Antiguan and Barbudan Visa and its Requirements
In summary, holding a valid Antigua and Barbuda Residence Permit offers numerous benefits, including the opportunity to stay, study or work anywhere in the country for up to three years.
If you still feel uncertain about obtaining an Antiguan and Barbudan residence permit, feel free to reach out to us to guide and assist you further.
Thanks for reading!