Applications Open For International Experience Canada 2021 Season

The International Experience Canada programme has opened its application process for the 2021 season.

Candidates aged eighteen (18) to thirty-five (35) from one of thirty-four (34) participating countries can apply in one of three (3) categories:

  • Working Holiday
  • International Co-op (Internship)
  • Young Professionals

The IEC program is arranged using pools, with each participating country having an allocation of areas under each of the three (3) categories.

Some countries allow applications from the same candidate in different pools, others do not.

Applications are open as of March 1, 2021. Candidates who get an invitation to apply have twenty (20) days to lodge a full work permit application.

International Experience Canada and COVID-19 Restriction

Only candidates with a valid job offer and Port of Entry Letter of Introduction can presently travel to Canada due to COVID-19 restrictions. Immigration candidates should be able to start their job as soon as the quarantine is completed.

Basically, the type of work permit application depends on the category. More information on each category and the participating countries are rendered below.

1. Working Holiday

The Working Holiday category is for applicants looking to fund a vacation with temporary work in Canada.

Candidate Profile

  • You do not have a job offer.
  • You want to work for more than one Canadian employer.
  • You want to work in more than one location in Canada.
  • You want to earn some money so you can travel.
  • Working Holiday candidates got an open work permit.

2. International Co-Op (Internship)

The International Co-Op category is targeted at candidates looking for overseas work experience in their field of studies.

Candidate Profile

  • You are an international student registered at a post-secondary institution.
  • You have a job offer for an internship or work placement in Canada.
  • You need to do this internship or work placement to complete your studies.
  • You will work under the same employer in the same location during your stay.

International Co-Op category applicants receive an employer-specific work permit. Internships must be directly connected to the field of study.

Wages must follow the labor laws in the specific territory or province. The law decides if an internship needs to be paid.

3. Young Professionals

The Young Professionals category is for applicants looking to gain Canadian professional work experience.

Candidate Profile

  • You have a Canadian job offer that contributes to your professional development.
  • You will work under the same employer in the same location.
  • Under this category, work must be fully paid and not self-employed.

Young Professionals category candidates get an employer-specific work permit.

Job Requirements

  • Employers must meet labor laws in province or territory, including minimum wage.
  • The job offer must be classified as National Occupational Classification (NOC) 0, A, or B.
  • NOC C jobs might be accepted if you can lodge a post-secondary certificate, diploma, or degree, with your work permit application. Your certificate, diploma, or degree must be translated to English or French.

Approved Organizations Under International Experience Canada

For employer-specific work permit only

  • University of Alberta
  • University of New Brunswick
  • Academic Internship Council (AIC)
  • International Rural Exchange (IRE)
  • International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience (IAESTE)
  • Association for the International Exchange of Students in Economics and Commerce (AIESEC)
  • Mennonite Central Committee of Canada / International Volunteer Exchange Program (MCC/IVEP)
  • Canadian Host Family Association (CHFA) with Communicating for Agriculture Education Programs (CAEP)

Openwork permit only

  • SWAP Working Holidays
  • Go International

Both categories

  • INTERNeX International Exchange
  • Stepwest