Visiting the Republic of Armenia brings a series of satisfying experiences, so you may need to obtain an Armenia visa before leaving your home country or at the port of entry. This, however, depends on your nationality.
Visiting Armenia is a unique and rewarding experience. The country is famous for its monasteries, great culture, fascinating history, culinary art, and beautiful scenery. Armenia is also well-known because of its many ancient churches, the first country to adopt Christianity. Some exciting attractions in the country include Geghard Monastery, Tatev Monastery, Garni Temple, Noravank Monastery, Cascade Complex, and Mount Aragats.
This blog post discusses the exemptions, requirements, processing time, cost, and validity period of the different types of Armenian visas. However, there is much more to learn here, including the types of visas, visa requirements, and eligible countries. Continue reading to find out!
In this article
- Armenia Visa Types
- #1. Armenia Transit Visa
- #2. Armenia Tourist Visa
- #3. Armenia Temporary Residency Visas
- #4. Armenia Diplomatic Visa
- Exemptions for Armenia Visa
- Different Ways to Apply for Armenia Visa
- #1. Through a diplomatic mission of Armenia overseas
- #2. Online application method
- #3. Armenia Visa on Arrival
- Armenia Visa Fees
- Processing Time of Armenian Visas
- Visa Requirements for Armenia
- How to Get an Armenia Visa
- Step 1: Collate the required documents
- Step 2: Get in touch with an Armenian diplomatic mission
- Step 3: Apply for an Armenian visa via one of the application methods
- Step 4: Pay your visa fee and submit your application supporting documents
- Step 5: Anticipate the Armenian diplomatic mission’s decision
- Duration of the Visa
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Armenia Visa Types
There are several types of visas for foreigners who intend to travel to Armenia for different purposes.
Here are the major ones.
#1. Armenia Transit Visa
This type of visa enables travelers to pass through the Republic of Armenia to their destination country. It allows its holder to stay for not more than three days.
#2. Armenia Tourist Visa
An Armenian tourist visa allows for short stays, especially for business-related activities, sightseeing, medical treatment, or visiting a close relative or friend in Armenia.
#3. Armenia Temporary Residency Visas
These visas are for foreign nationals who must stay in the Republic of Armenia for up to one year. It is ideal for foreign workers, businesspersons, and international students. The visa is also open to families who want to reunite in Armenia.
#4. Armenia Diplomatic Visa
This type of visa is open to diplomats, as well as to persons who hold a valid diplomatic passport.
You can also check out some of the top places to visit in the Republic of Armenia.
Exemptions for Armenia Visa
Armenia’s visa policy allows citizens of a few countries to enter the country visa-free for a maximum of 180 days every twelve months.
These countries include:-
- Countries that possess membership with the European Union
- The United States of America
- New Zealand
- The United Arab Emirates
- South Korea
- Hong Kong
- San Marino
- The United Kingdom
- Vatican City State
Different Ways to Apply for Armenia Visa
Foreigners can apply for a visa to the Republic of Armenia in the following ways.
#1. Through a diplomatic mission of Armenia overseas
This is the most common way of applying for an Armenian visa. It requires you to visit an embassy or consulate of Armenia in your country of residence.
At the diplomatic mission, several consular officers assist you in starting the visa application process.
#2. Online application method
Another easy way to apply for an Armenian visa involves using an internet-enabled computer to log on to the Armenian Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ eVisa portal.
Remember that this application method is open only to foreign nationals who qualify for a visa on arrival.
#3. Armenia Visa on Arrival
Citizens of certain countries can apply for an Armenian visa upon arrival at the country’s port of entry. You do not need to apply for a visa online or through an Armenian diplomatic mission.
The following is a list of countries whose citizens are eligible to apply for an Armenian visa on arrival.
- Costa Rica
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- El Salvador
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Chinese Taipei
- Democratic People’s Republic of Korea
- Lao People’s Democratic Republic
- The Marshall Islands
- The Bahamas
- North Macedonia
- Trinidad and Tobago
- The Dominican Republic
- The Philippines
- Saint Lucia
- The Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- Brunei Darussalam
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Saint Christopher and Nevis
- Papua New Guinea
Armenia Visa Fees
The following are the fees applicable for the issuance of different types of visas to Armenia.
- Official visa: Costless
- Diplomatic visa: Costless
- Single-entry transit visa: $20
- Multiple-entry transit visa: $36
- Single-entry visitor visas: $6 (duration of 21 days); $30 (valid for 120 days)
- Multiple-entry visitor visa: $40 (maximum stay of 60 days and valid for six months); $79 (allows for a maximum stay of 120 days and has a validity period of one year)
Processing Time of Armenian Visas
It takes about three working days for most Armenian embassies and consulates in foreign countries to process an eVisa application.
Visa Requirements for Armenia
With the documents listed below, you can meet Armenia visa requirements, regardless of nationality.
- A valid passport (Even six months after arriving in the country, your passport must still be valid)
- An application form for an Armenia visa, which you have fully filled-out with all relevant information
- One passport-sized photograph taken at a recent time
- Travel itinerary, like a round-trip flight ticket
- A residential tenancy agreement, invitation letter, or hotel booking (helps to prove your accommodation in the Republic of Armenia)
- A letter of invitation from your sponsor in the Republic of Armenia
- Evidence of payment for Armenia visa application fee
Take note that the Armenian diplomatic mission might request you to submit some other documents, depending on your purpose of visit.
How to Get an Armenia Visa
The following are the steps in applying for a visa to the Republic of Armenia.
Step 1: Collate the required documents
Before applying for an Armenian visa, you must put together all documents required for the type of visa you desire.
Step 2: Get in touch with an Armenian diplomatic mission
Another critical step involves contacting an embassy or consulate of Armenia in your home country. The aim of reaching the diplomatic mission is to schedule a visa appointment.
Step 3: Apply for an Armenian visa via one of the application methods
The third step in getting an Armenian visa is to fill out the visa application form online or on a diplomatic mission. Then, depending on your country, you may be suitable to apply for your visa on arrival.
An accessible email address is required to apply for the visa online. It would be best to have a valid credit or debit card to complete your visa application fee payment.
Step 4: Pay your visa fee and submit your application supporting documents
This step requires you to visit the Armenian embassy or consulate to submit your supporting documents. You must also pay your application fee at the diplomatic mission.
Step 5: Anticipate the Armenian diplomatic mission’s decision
At this time, you can expect the diplomatic mission to notify you of its decision on your visa application to Armenia.
Duration of the Visa
Below are the validity periods of different types of visas for the Republic of Armenia.
- Transit visa: A single-entry transit visa is valid for three days, while a multiple-entry transit visa allows for a maximum stay of three days and is valid for up to one year
- Single-entry visitor visa: valid for either three weeks or 120 days
- Multiple-entry visitor visa: maximum of 60 days with a validity period of six months; offers a stay of up to 120 days and is valid for a maximum of one year.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I complete the Armenia visa application online?
Yes, you can apply for a visa to Armenia online through the Armenian Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ e-Visa Issuance System. It is also possible to check your visa application status via the platform.
Do US citizens need a visa to Armenia?
No, citizens of the United States are not required to apply for a visa to enter the Republic of Armenia. The reason is that they are among the nationalities granted visa-free entry into the country for up to 180 days.
Is Armenia visa-free for Indian citizens?
No, Indian nationals must obtain a visa before traveling to the Republic of Armenia for any purpose whatsoever.
Do UAE residents need a visa to Armenia?
No, nationals of the United Arab Emirates do not need to obtain a visa for entry into Armenia since their stay does not exceed 180 days.
Do Canadians need a visa for Armenia?
Yes, Canadian citizens must apply for an Armenian visa to legally cross any of the borders in Armenia.
Which port of entry allows for a visa on arrival in Armenia?
Supposing that you are traveling to Armenia via the visa on arrival method, you must be entering through Shirak Airport, Zvartnots International Airport, or Ayrum Railway Station. Visa on arrival is also allowable when entering through any of the country’s land borders in Gogavan, Bavra, Meghri, and Bagratashen.
In summary, the process of obtaining an Armenian visa is straightforward and is doable through the internet. This means that you can apply for the visa right under your roof. So what are you waiting for?
Be sure to apply for the appropriate type of visa that corresponds with your purpose of visit to Armenia.
Thanks for reading!