Australia boasts a huge English-speaking population, a risk-free environment, and a generally high level of happiness among its population. Currently, Australia has about 5.5 million immigrants. Over 1.2 million of those immigrants migrated from the UK and 486,000 from New Zealand.
The remaining foreign-born population moved to Australia from a variety of countries including India, China, South Africa, Greece and Vietnam. This article will examine why Australia is among the Five (5) Best immigrant Friendly Countries. Let’s take a look at some of the ranking factors and parameters.
Table of Contents
Australia among 5 Best immigrant Friendly Countries
A leading ranking company- US News and World Report placed Australia at 4th position after Canada and Switzerland in the list of best countries in the world for immigrants.
The US News and World Report enumerate some factors before making their final list of best immigrant-friendly countries of the world; it includes Income equality, Labour market and economic stability etc.
Sweden, presently at the top of best countries for immigrants is followed by Canada and Switzerland in the 2nd and 3rd place respectively. Australia acquired the 4th place followed by Germany. But, to utter dismay, the mighty United States of America couldn’t find the place in top 5 but remained at the 7th position after Norway.
Let’s take a look at some ranking parameters assessed by the US News and World Report;
- How much money migrants in each country were able to send abroad
- The United Nations rankings of integration policies in different countries,
- Number of migrants in a country’s population
- And other key parameters
Australia’s General Skilled Migration Program
Australia is rated as one of the best countries to live, work and settle for migrant workers. The low unemployment rate and considerably high wages in Australia lure most of the foreign skilled workers in Australia.
The Skilled Migration program and point-based immigration system introduced by the country is considered one of the best in the world.
Every year, the Australian government releases Skilled Occupation Lists to invite applications from foreign skilled workers and professionals, looking to get work or Permanent Residence Visa in Australia.
An applicant looking at obtaining the Skilled visa in Australia, chooses the occupation from relevant occupation lists and afterwards, submit the online EOI (Expression of Interest) in the SkillSelect system by selecting the desired visa category.
An applicant is required to score a minimum of 60 points based on age, education, work experience, Adaptability, language skills, etc. If the profile of a candidate is selected, the applicants get the ITA (Invitation to Apply) to apply for the visa from the immigration authorities.
Australia Skilled Migration Visa Requirements
The Skillselect system Australia uses is points-based, with applicants receiving points for criteria ranging from Age, education to work experience. Applicants must score at least 60 points for their visa to be issued. The following tables give a detailed explanation of how points are allotted for Skillselect visas.
Below is a free online Australian General Skilled Migration points test for you to know if your score points are enough for your visa.
- Age – you must be under Forty-Five (45) when you apply;
- English language – you should have enough ability in the English language to work in Australia (at least at a good level);
- Nominated occupation – when you apply you choose a skilled occupation, which fits your qualification and skills. This occupation should be found on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List;
- Skills assessment – before you apply, you must have your skills evaluated and assessed by the Australian assessing authority designated to assess your chosen occupation (which will usually have specified qualifications requirements);
- Health assessment – you should be of reasonably good health and all candidates must have their health examined by a panel doctor and take a medical examination; and
- Character assessment – you should be of unquestionable and good character and this too will be assessed.
How To Apply Into The General Skilled Migration Program To Australia?
Australia’s Skilled Migration program is one of the major categories of immigration in Australia. The DIBP (Department of Immigration and Border Protection) has created several avenues to invite and accept skilled workers from foreign countries under various categories, i.e. Independent Point Tested Visa, State Nominated Visa, and Employer-Sponsored Visa.
You can choose to apply any of the above visa categories for skilled migration to Australia. If you are applying for an Australian visa for the first time, it is advisable to take assistance from a tested and accredited Australian Visa consultant. A consultant with its great experience and expertise in the Oz immigration provides important help right from choosing the right immigration program to file a visa application with immigration office.