What is Azerbaijan Transit Visa, and how does it differ from other types of visas? What documents do I need to apply for it?
Azerbaijan is between Europe and Asia and has a population of around 9 million. The country is known for its oil reserves and tourism. Recently, the government has improved the visa system and now offers multiple transit visas to tourists.
Transit visas are for travelers who wish to visit another country for less than 72 hours. They allow visitors to stay in the host country for 24 hours. Please keep reading to learn more about Azerbaijan Transit Visa, its application, and its requirements.
In this article
- Where is Azerbaijan?
- What is Azerbaijan Transit Visa?
- Reasons for Azerbaijan Transit Visa
- Countries that can travel to Azerbaijan with a Transit Visa
- Azerbaijan Visa Requirements
- Visa Application Process for Azerbaijan
- Azerbaijan Transit Visa Fees
- Visa Processing in Azerbaijan
- Frequently Asked Questions
Where is Azerbaijan?
Azerbaijan is a country located in the Southern Caucasus region. The country borders Iran and the Republic of Armenia to the north, Georgia, Turkey to the east, and Russia to the south.
The country is also a landlocked state with almost 78,000 square kilometers. The capital city is Baku.
What is Azerbaijan Transit Visa?
With an Azerbaijan Transit Visa, travelers can travel via Azerbaijan for a maximum of 5 days.
This visa has a limited validity period. It allows for a five-day stay in Azerbaijan. Therefore, if you intend to stay in Azerbaijan for only a few days, this visa is the ideal alternative.
The visa does not allow you to work or start a business in Azerbaijan. In addition, you must have proof of adequate cash for your stay in Azerbaijan, as well as a return ticket or other travel arrangements.
To receive a transit visa, applicants must apply at a foreign Azerbaijani embassy or consulate.
Reasons for Azerbaijan Transit Visa
There are many reasons why a person might need to travel through Azerbaijan on their way to another country. Some main reasons include tourism, business, or moving between different parts of the country.
Azerbaijan has a well-developed infrastructure, making it easy for tourists to get around and see the country’s many attractions. The country is also home to some of Central Asia’s most important transport hubs, making it an ideal transit point for travelers heading to other parts of the region.
Business travelers also find Azerbaijan a convenient workplace because of its stable economy and efficient government institutions. The country also has strong links with Europe and the Middle East, making it easy for companies worldwide to do business here.
Countries that can travel to Azerbaijan with a Transit Visa
Azerbaijan is one of the countries that you can visit with a transit visa. You must enter and leave the country through a designated border crossing. You can find the list of approved border crossings on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website. The following countries can enter their territory with a transit visa for five days:
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Brunei Darussalam
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Holy See (Vatican)
- Iran (the Islamic Republic of)
- New Zealand
- Republic of Korea
- San Marino
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Sri Lanka
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- United States of America
Nationals of countries not included in any of the above lists must apply for and get a regular sticker visa before visiting Azerbaijan.
Azerbaijan Visa Requirements
For those individuals that require a visa to travel to Azerbaijan, the following are the requirements:
- A completed Azerbaijan visa application form: You can complete it online.
- Your passport or other travel documents must be valid for at least three months beyond the duration of your anticipated stay in Azerbaijan. Make copies of the main page of your passport or travel document.
- Two recent color pictures that meet your biometric identification criteria
- A copy of your medical insurance certificate
- Evidence that you paid the visa fee (receipt)
- An application made by the inviting party and approved by an applicable executive power authority, a registered copy of a certificate (for non-governmental organizations), and a document demonstrating the purpose of an invitation
Transit, tourism, official, and personal travel visas do not require these documents).
For people under the age of 18, traveling without a parent or a legal authority, the following supplementary documents are required:
- Notarized birth certificate copy.
- Permission from parents or a legal representative.
- Copies of parents’ or a legal representative’s identity documents.
Visa requirements for tourist purposes:
- Evidence suggests the trip’s goal is for tourism, such as a tourism coupon.
- Reservation confirmation for a room at a hotel, campground, tourist lodge, or another similar establishment.
Visa requirements for scientists and educators:
- Proof demonstrating you have enough money to cover your study and living expenses in the Republic of Azerbaijan.
Medical treatment visa requirements:
- Evidence indicating you have a condition that needs to be examined or treated.
Private visits require the following visas:
- a copy of the inviting person’s identification
- Evidence showing you can cover the trip’s financial expenses.
- Document proving the invitee is a family member.
Transit visa requirements:
- If necessary, copies of your destination country’s visa.
- The plane ticket to your last destination.
Visa Application Process for Azerbaijan
To apply for an Azerbaijan visa, you must follow and fulfill several steps outlined by the country’s authorities.
You must submit your application 15 days before your planned trip to Azerbaijan.
All documents should be sent to the diplomatic missions, embassy, or consulate of the Republic of Azerbaijan in your place of residence, together with proof of payment of the applicable fees.
It is important to note that if you plan to stay in Azerbaijan for more than 15 days, you must register in your city of residency.
Azerbaijan Transit Visa Fees
An Azerbaijan transit visa costs USD 20 and must be secured before arrival in Azerbaijan. The transit visa is valid for up to ten days and permits you to enter Azerbaijan several times. Azerbaijan has no immunization requirements for obtaining a transit visa.
Visa Processing in Azerbaijan
A normal Azerbaijan visa can take up to a month to process. However, if you can demonstrate that you require urgent medical treatment in Azerbaijan or that your close relative has died here, your application will be approved within 48 hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Azerbaijan a safe place to visit?
Despite how it is frequently depicted in the media, Azerbaijan is a safe nation to visit. Pickpocketing should be avoided by tourists, especially in Baku. Scams and frauds are also common among travelers, such as street sellers and taxi cabs. Additionally, false police officers can also issue fake tickets.
Is a visa required to pass via Azerbaijan?
To cross the country, visitors must get an Azerbaijan transit visa. This visa has a limited validity period. It allows for a five-day stay in Azerbaijan. If you intend to stay in Azerbaijan for only a few days, this visa is the ideal alternative.
What documents are necessary for a transit visa?
Valid passport with at least two blank pages and a validity period of at least three months beyond the expiration date of the desired visa. 2. A copy of your passport and copies of any visas with entry and exit stamps from the countries visited.
How do I apply for a transit visa?
Complete the application for a Temporary Resident Visa and pick a transit visa from the list of choices on the form to apply for a transit visa. If you are traveling to or from the United States, you may not need a transit visa.
Is it possible to apply for a transit visa online?
Eligible candidates for an India transit visa can fill out the online eVisa application form, which takes a few minutes to fill out with a basic passport, passport, and travel details.
Can I obtain a visa at Baku International Airport?
Yes, visitors can apply for visas on arrival at the E-ASAN Self-Desk Kiosk, located in the arrival hall on the second level, just before the Passport Control Area.
How long does it take to get a transit visa?
Usually, most transit visa applications are processed in a few weeks or less. However, processing times vary depending on the visa office and whether any extra processes are required. We will return your passport and other original documents to you once your application has been processed.
To sum up, most nationals require a transit visa for Azerbaijan, which is reasonably easy to obtain and is valid for up to 5 days. This criterion does not apply to citizens of a few nations. The application for a transit visa is straightforward and can be completed entirely online.