Steps on how to apply for a Bahamas Permanent Residence Permit
If you are a non-Bahamian National wanting to reside in the Bahamas long-term, you may need to know about the permanent residence permit.
The Bahamas Permanent Residence Permit (PRP) is a visa that allows foreign nationals to live and work in The Bahamas indefinitely. It permits foreigners with good ethical and moral standards to stay in the Bahamas for an extended period as they enjoy a good, stable, and productive life in the country.
To stand a chance for this permit, you need to read this article to the end, as we are set to enlighten you about the Bahamas permanent resident permit and how to apply for one.
About the Bahamas
The Bahamas is a country with more than 700 islands in the Atlantic Ocean. The capital and largest city of the Bahamas is Nassau, and its economy is based on tourism, banking, and fishing. Generally, the country is safe, and the cost of living is low. You can get by on a budget of $1,000-$1,500 per month, including rent.
The climate is beautiful, and the beaches are some of the most beautiful in the world. Also, the people are friendly and welcoming, and you will get to enjoy many activities (both indoor and outdoor) in the beautiful country. Whether you’re looking for a peaceful place or an action-packed vacation, there is something for everyone in the Bahamas,
Bahamas Permanent Residence Permit
Firstly, a permanent residence permit is an authorization endowed by the proper authority to individuals willing to live in a foreign land permanently. It is a sort of opportunity for foreign individuals to enjoy the basic amenities provided by the visiting country.
Therefore, the Bahamas Permanent Residence Permit is a status given by the department of immigration of the Bahamas for individuals who want to stay in the Bahamas for a long time unless revoked. This status comes with many opportunities, such as the right to work and live in the Bahamas. However, you cannot vote with a permanent residence status.
Eligibility criteria for the Bahamas Permanent Residence Permit
Undoubtedly, the status of a permanent residence in the Bahamas is not a piece of cake. You must satisfy one or two of the following criteria to be selected for the permit.
- If married to a Bahamas citizen, you must live as husband and wife for not less than five years.
- If you are a child born legitimately out of the Bahamas, either of your parents must be a Bahamas citizen to apply for the permit.
- Also, you’re eligible for this permit if you’re an investor or financially independent individual with a place of residence in the Bahamas.
- Prison and police officers employed for less than ten years in government service can apply for the permit.
- School teachers or lecturers employed in charitable, religious, or government service for not less than ten years are eligible for the permit.
- Likewise, a professional nurse employed in a private hospital, government services, or healthcare facility for less than ten years can apply as a permanent resident.
- Priests or ministers of religion engaged in religious activity in the Bahamas for a minimum of 20 years can apply for the permit.
- Medical professionals or doctors who have gained employment in a medical health care center on government services in the Bahamas for not less than 20 years can apply for the permanent resident permit status.
- A citizen of Haiti who has documentary proof or evidence (excluding a Haitian passport) of citizenship. Under the department of affidavits, the department must accept the documents provided by the Haitian for continuous residence in the Bahamas.
- An individual who has a residence permit or work permit, or any other legal status for more than 20 years in the Bahamas
Requirements for the Bahamas permanent residence permit
To apply for this residence permit to continually stay in the Bahamas, you need to provide the following documents for your application.
- You need to obtain the Bahamas permanent residence permit application form.
- The processing fee of the Bahamas permanent residence permits is $200. You can pay the residence permits by credit card, debit card, postal money, cash bank certified check, or money orders. Note that this money is not refundable.
- Your original medical certificate. This certificate must not be older than 30 days before you submit your application.
- A police clearance certificate. It must not be issued earlier than 180 days and must be valid for five years of residence. This particular requirement applies to applicants who are 14 years or older.
- At least two passport photographs. You must take it on a white background with a two-by-two size and have been captured within the last six months. Remember to imprint your name on the back of your photo.
- Your original birth certificate. It would be best if you translate it into English, with the postage stamp of Bahamas on it. You can get this stamp for $10. Likewise, it would be wise if you got verification by the Consulate and authentication from the ministry of foreign affairs for your application.
- If applicable, you can add a copy of the naturalization of your spouse.
- Also, if you have children, you should include their original birth certificate.
- Importantly, it would be best if you consisted of a work permit or other permits to reside in the Bahamas.
- If applicable, have the documentary proof of payment of the tax for your real property.
How to apply for the Bahamas permanent residence permit
Undoubtedly, becoming a permanent resident of the Bahamas, it’s pretty eventful. You need to meet some criteria and follow some legal steps to earn this status. They are:
Step one: Check your eligibility for the Bahamas permanent residence permit
Before deciding on applying for the residence permit and paying the non-refundable application fee, you must check your eligibility. We have provided the eligibility criteria in the sections above. Therefore, endeavor to go through it to know if you will stand a chance to reside permanently in the country or not.
Step two: Obtain the Bahamas permanent residence permit application form
Without a doubt, if you have confirmed your eligibility for this residency status, you should go online to obtain the form for the application. But, again, ensure to fill in your details correctly, and ensure that the information you provide is the same as the details you have in other documents.
Step three: Visit the Bahamas consulate or embassy
After completing your application form, you should visit the Bahaman embassy or Consulate to hand in your application. Note that you must include all other documents in this process’s different sections for optimal consideration.
Step four: Pay the application fee
The cost of applying for a Bahamas permanent residence permit is a non-refundable $200. Since the fees are non-refundable, ensure that you meet the selection requirements before proceeding to the embassy for application.
Step five: Wait for your application response.
You will get a response to your application within six weeks to thirty-three weeks of application. If you receive a congratulatory message, you have successfully certified the requirements and attained the status of a Bahaman resident.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it easy to get citizenship in the Bahamas?
Undoubtedly, obtaining citizenship in the Bahamas can be difficult, depending on various factors. These factors include your place of residence, your marital status, and your level of investment in the country. However, with the assistance of a qualified immigration lawyer, it is possible to obtain citizenship in the Bahamas.
What is the difference between a resident visa and a permanent resident visa?
There is a big difference between a resident visa and a permanent resident visa. A resident visa allows you to stay in the country for a certain period. However, a permanent resident visa will let you stay in the country indefinitely.
Does a permanent resident visa expire?
A permanent resident visa does not expire, but the Bahamas authority can revoke it.
Can I Immigrate to the Bahamas?
Yes, you can immigrate to the Bahamas. The process is relatively straightforward, and there are several visa options available. However, you should be aware that the cost of living in the Bahamas is high. Also, there are several restrictions on who can live there.
Is the Bahamas an excellent place to live?
The Bahamas is a great place to live, with plenty of sunshine, beaches, and friendly people. The cost of living is also relatively low, making it a great place to retire or raise a family. However, some downsides exist, such as the lack of infrastructure and limited job opportunities.
Can a permanent resident apply for citizenship?
Yes, a permanent resident can apply for citizenship. To be eligible for citizenship, you must have been a permanent resident for at least five years and have met other requirements. These requirements include being able to speak English and passing a citizenship test.
Finally, the Bahamas permanent residence permit is your sure way of enjoying life in the beautiful country of the Bahamas. We have provided all the needed requirements for your application. Also, there are steps to apply for the permits and the eligibility criteria. Once you have your documents set, you can proceed to make an application as soon as possible.