Are you a Beninese Citizen aiming to immigrate to Canada, or one who is already a resident of the country? Then, it is crucial to have enough information about the Beninese Embassy in Canada and what services you can benefit from.
The Beninese Embassy can be of help to Beninese residing in Canada in many ways. Unfortunately, many do not know so much about the essence of an embassy to see the need for contacting them.
The content on this page will guide you on everything you need to know about the Beninese Embassy in Canada.
Also, for the sake of Canadian citizens who have dealings in Benin, we have included the address of the Canadian consular in Benin and the services you can obtain there.
In this article
- What is an Embassy?
- About Benin
- Address of Beninese Embassy in Canada
- Embassy of Benin in Canada
- Beninese Embassy in Canada Contact Details
- Addresses of Canadian Consular in Benin
- Ouagadougou – Embassy of Canada
- Top 4 Services Provided by Beninese Embassy in Canada
- Visa and Passport Services
- Consular Services
- Canadian Consular Services in Benin
- Expectations of the Canadian Government from Citizens in Benin
- How to Apply for Passport at Beninese Embassy in Canada
- Visit the Embassy for an Interview
- Documents Required to Apply for a Beninese Passport
What is an Embassy?
An embassy is a diplomatic (mostly government-owned) office responsible for providing a wide range of services to citizens of a country who are presently residing in another country. Usually, an embassy functions outside of the country it is representing.
That is, the Beninese Embassy, for example, is only effective outside of Benin to help Beninese who are residing in other countries.
Notably, embassies provide an extensive range of services. If you are currently studying, living, working, or having a vacation in Canada as a citizen of Benin, the Embassy of Benin in Canada is for you! We will be pleased to expose you to all the benefits the Beninese Embassy in Canada offers.
Benin, officially referred to as the Republic of Benin or Republique du Benin in French, is a country located on the coasts of Western Africa. Benin was formerly known as Dahomey and covers an area of 114,763 square kilometers (44,310 square miles).
Essentially, Benin is a French country like most of the other West African countries around it. Nigeria borders it to the east and Togo to the West. To the north-west likes Burkina Faso, while Niger is to is the north-east. The southernmost part of the country borders the Atlantic Ocean at a point known as the Bight of Benin.
Although the capital of Benin is Porto-Novo, the seat of government has for a long time been at Cotonou. Notably, Cotonou is Benin’s largest city by size and economic capital.
Canada and Benin have a favourable long-standing relationship that covers trade, immigration, tourism, education, and government. Both countries first created diplomatic relations in 1962 and have enjoyed a positive bilateral relationship since then.
As of 2017, 610 Beninese students were studying in Canada with valid study permits. As of 2020, Canada’s exports to Benin were worth $24,649,231, while imports from Benin to Canada were worth $595,473.
Address of Beninese Embassy in Canada
Embassy of Benin in Canada
The Beninese Embassy in Canada or the Embassy of Benin in Canada is the only diplomatic representative available in Canada from Benin. However, the Embassy of Benin in Canada represents one out of the 63 different consular and diplomatic representations of Benin across the globe.
On the other hand, the embassy represents one of the 402 different consular and diplomatic representations available in Canada from all over the world.
Currently, the Beninese Embassy in Canada is located at:
470 Somerset St W,
K1R 5J8, Canada
Opening Days: Monday to Friday (9 am to 4 pm)
Beninese Embassy in Canada Contact Details
Embassy of Benin in Canada
Telephone: +1 613 233 4429, +1 633 233 4868, +1 613 233 5273
Fax: +1 613 233-8952
Email: [email protected]
Addresses of Canadian Consular in Benin
Ouagadougou – Embassy of Canada
The Ouagadougou Embassy of Canada in Benin provides passport services to Beninese who want to travel to Canada for work, study, or visit purposes. You can also contact the Embassy for emergency consular assistance.
316 Professor Ki-Zerbo Street,
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
PO Box 548, Ouagadougou,
01, Kadiogo Province,
Telephone: +226 25 49 08 00, +226 25 31 18 94
Fax: +226 25 49 08 10, +226 25 31 19 00
Email: [email protected]
Internet: www.burkinafaso.gc.caEthiopian Embassy in Canada
Top 4 Services Provided by Beninese Embassy in Canada
The Beninese Embassy in Canada offers a diverse range of services to Beninese residing permanently or temporarily in Canada. Additionally, they may also offer consular services to Canadians who may want to travel down to Benin or obtain a passport. Summarily, the top services offered at the Beninese Embassy in Canada are:
- They provide general or specific information concerning the Beninese economy, education, culture, and so on.
- Also, they provide updated information on the processes and requirements for obtaining Canadian Visa or citizenship.
- They may assist in providing contacts of important offices in Benin
- Lastly, they offer visa and passport services and assist those who want to apply for one.
Visa and Passport Services
Essentially, the Embassy of Benin in Canada processes Beninese Visas and Passports to Canadians who need them. A significant advantage of the embassy is that you can readily obtain a Beninese Visa or Passport without having to travel to Benin. Of Course, you won’t be allowed entry into Benin without a valid visa or any other recognized immigration document.
Beninese who are residing in Canada can obtain consular services if they visit the Beninese Embassy in Canada.
Canadian Consular Services in Benin
While all Canadians are responsible for their safety and comfort while abroad, the government of Canada takes the welfare of its citizens who travel out very seriously. Therefore, Canada has strong Consular services in many countries of the world, including Benin.
Generally, the consular services for Canadians in Benin include but are not limited to:
- Providing updated and accurate information on safe travels to Benin
- Providing a travel checklist to make it easier for Canadians to gather necessities for travelling to Benin.
- Helping during periods of medical emergency by providing a list of local doctors, hospitals, and their contacts.
- They also provide contact to local security authorities such as the police in case of robbery or other assault.
- In addition, you can replace a lost, stolen, damaged, or expired passport
- Additionally, the consular can help you contact a next of kin in any circumstance when you require such help.
- Lastly, providing emergency assistance to Canadians 24/7
Interestingly, the Canadian consular in Benin may also offer consular services to non-Canadians. In that case, such persons must be from countries with which Canada has consular services sharing agreements or memorandums of understanding.
Importantly, you should find out what implications being a dual citizen of Canada and Benin may have on the Canadian consular services you can obtain. This is because local authorities may sometimes prevent access to Canadian consular services for persons who are dual citizens.
Expectations of the Canadian Government from Citizens in Benin
That said, to maximize all the benefits of the Canadian Consular in Benin, the Canadian government expects you to:
- Ensure that you have obtained comprehensive travel insurance and health, life, and disability insurance.
- Take personal responsibility for your travel choices. In essence, you are responsible for your personal safety abroad and meeting your financial needs.
- Be proactive. That is, you must have tried out local remedies available before seeking emergency consular assistance
- Respect the local laws that are applicable in Benin
- Additionally, the consular expects you to protect your passport and promptly report any theft or loss of it.
- For your own good, you should keep the contact information of the consular while travelling. If you ever have an emergency, contact the closest Canadian office to your location.
- Lastly, the consular expects you to provide adequate feedback on their services to help them improve. You can do this by filling the Client Feedback Form.
How to Apply for Passport at Beninese Embassy in Canada
Already, you know that you can obtain a valid international passport from the Beninese Embassy in Canada. Here are the steps to follow to apply for a passport from the Embassy:
Visit the Embassy for an Interview
Technically, you will be able to apply for a Beninese passport online. Nevertheless, you must visit the embassy for a physical interview to complete the passport application process. Also, if you have applied on paper, you will submit the application forms alongside supporting documents at the embassy. On the other hand, those who apply online must print out a copy of the completed application form and submit it at the embassy.
Ideally, it takes about 72 hours to process an application for a Beninese passport. However, it could take longer than that for several reasons.
Documents Required to Apply for a Beninese Passport
- A copy of your birth certificate
- The birth certificate should come along with the #1 component or supplementary judgment and the approval PV.
- Your national identity card
- Also, you will need to provide a certificate of residence in Benin
- Proof of your profession. This could be a certificate of employment, education, or completion of an apprenticeship.
- Four passport-sized photographs in either blue, light gray, or beige background
- Next, you will provide an equivalent right that is still in force at the date of the application.
- If you are a married woman, you will submit a photocopy of any legal document that proves the marriage.
- Minors (under 18 years) will submit legal permission signed by their parents or guardian.
- If such minor has divorced parents, the parent who is in the child’s custody must sign the permission document.