Starting from July 31st this year, most of the Canadian immigration entrants will be required to provide their biometrics as according to the new policies regulated by the government of Canada. The new protocols set up by the Canadian government encompasses all Canadian immigration entrants including students, individuals processing for work permit, permanent residence and even those who are here on visitor visa. From 31st July this year, it is mandatory for all these immigration applicants to provide their fingerprints as well as a photograph.
Important Features New Biometric Regulations
- The new protocols also has a special merit for individuals who visit Canada on a regular basis on visitor visa, for study or work permit. As per this regulation, these entrants are only needed to give in their biometrics once in ten years.
- The Canadian government is noted to observe these new rules for the residents of European, African, and Middle East countries from July 31.
- Although, residents of US, Asia, Asian Pacific countries will have to follow a similar protocol for Canadian immigration application beginning from December 31, this year.
- There are several cases of exemptions from this regulation, which comprises of; children below 14 years, individuals above 79 years, State or Government heads, accredited diplomats, UN nationals on official visit to Canada, Cabinet ministers, and applicants who have a valid ETA.
Importance Of Biometrics For Immigration Purposes
- These protocols are excused for individuals that hold a US visa and are traveling through the country.
- Lastly of all, protected individuals or refugee claimants who have already provided their biometrics during their study or work permit, are too freed from this new regulation revealed by the Canadian government that will soon begin in the year.
It is an obvious fact that biometrics plays quite a special role in gathering unique information about an individual’s identity. With the aid of biometric information like fingerprints and facial features, it becomes quite easy to single out one person’s identity from another. It is this ability of verification that makes biometrics so crucial for immigration purposes. Other than these, there are a lot of advantages of biometrics that can prove quite helpful for immigration security.
- Check fraud identity
- Prevent criminal entry into the country
- Identify deportees and stop them from illegally entering the country
Until biometrics collection services become available, anyone applying for a visa, study or work permit, or permanent residence in Canada will be not be required to provide biometric identification as part of their application.
Where can I give my fingerprint and photo?
The process of giving biometrics is fast and secure. It may take only a few minutes to complete when done at a Visa Application Centre (VAC) or authorized service point.
To support the expansion of, its biometrics program, Canada is opening new Visa Application Centres in countries where biometrics collection demand will grow. There are currently 137 VACs worldwide that provide biometric collection. If you are in the U.S., you can go to any of 135 Application Support Centers.