Botswana is a landlocked country in Southern Africa. To enter Botswana, you will need a valid passport and a visa. You can apply for a visa at your home country’s Botswana Embassy or Consulate. The requirements for a Botswana visa vary depending on your nationality and the purpose of your visit. You must provide evidence of travel plans, accommodation, and financial means.
This article will teach you all you need to plan your trip to Botswana, especially the type of visa, the application process, and all the required documentation. Read through carefully with rapt attention to all details provided for a successful trip.
In this article
- About Botswana
- Botswana Visa Policy
- Countries Whose Citizens Do NOT Require a Visa to Enter Botswana
- Countries That need a Visa to gain entry into Botswana
- Types of Visa
- Botswana e-Visa General Requirements
- Additional Requirements for various Visa types
- Visitors Visa
- Business visa requirements
- Employment visa
- Botswana Investors visa requirement
- Botswana study visa
- Application Process
- Frequently Asked Questions
Botswana is a landlocked country in Southern Africa. The capital and largest city are Gaborone, with over two hundred thousand people. The people of Botswana are of Bantu descent, and the official language is English. The country has a high human development index and is considered a middle-income country.
The culture of Botswana is diverse and includes traditional arts and crafts, music and dance, and cuisine. The economy of Botswana is primarily based on mining, and Botswana is one of the most stable countries in Africa. It has had a continuous democratic government since its independence in 1966. Botswana is a popular tourist destination for its wildlife and natural scenery.
Botswana Visa Policy
If you’re applying for an entry visa, allow twenty-one (21) business days of processing time for the application. Any access granted to your application will be subject to compliance with Botswanaan regulations on immigration before you visit Botswana.
The applicant must pay $321 to obtain their visa or permit reproduced in the case of loss or damage to their access. Please get in touch with the Botswana embassy or the nearest immigration office if you are in Botswana.
Countries Whose Citizens Do NOT Require a Visa to Enter Botswana
Antigua & Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Estonia, Finland, France, Gambia, Germany, Greece, Grenada, Guyana, Holy Sea, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Latvia, Lesotho, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malawi, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Nigeria, Monaco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Samoa, San Marico, Saudi Arabia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, South Africa, South Korea, South Sudan,Spain, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Swaziland, Sweden, Tanzania, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Turkey, Tuvalu, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, the United States of America, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Yugoslavia, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
Countries That need a Visa to gain entry into Botswana
Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, China, Colombia, Comoros, DRC-, Democratic Republic of Congo, Congo (Republic of), Côte d’Ivoire (Ivory Coast), Djibouti, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, Georgia, Ghana, Guatemala, Guinea Bissau, Haiti, Honduras, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan (Kirghizia), Laos (Lao People’s Dem. Rep.), Lebanon, Liberia, Libya, Macedonia, Madagascar, Mali, Mauritania, Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Myanmar (Burma), Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, North Korea, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, the Philippines, Rwanda, São Tomé & Príncipe, Senegal, Serbia, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Sumatra, Suriname, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Togo, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, and Yemen.
Types of Visa
A Botswana e-Visa is an electronic document that grants authorization for an entry into Botswana. The following types of Botswana visas are available electronically via the e-Visa platform. You can access the Visa application form here.
- Tourist visa
- Transit visa
- Business visa
- Study visa
- Investment visa
- Employment visa
Botswana e-Visa General Requirements
To apply for an eVisa, you must demonstrate that you meet the Botswana visa prerequisites. The applicant must be able to provide these requirements:
- A passport from an eligible country validates at least six months from the intended date and has at least six months of remaining validity.
- A recent passport photograph of the applicant.
- A valid debit/credit card for visa fee payment.
- A working email address which to receive the approved e-Visa for Botswana.
Additional Requirements for various Visa types
- Invitation letter from the host/invitee.
- A sworn statement from the host.
- A copy of hotel bookings or residential address where the applicant will be lodging.
- A valid certified copy of the host, national identity/residence permit, work permit/exemption certificate/naturalization certificate(as applicable).
- Certified marriage and birth documents (in case of married couples/dependants).
- Certified copies of ordination certificates of religious leaders( for pastors, priests or Bishops).
- Recent bank statement showing solvency.
- Return visa from the country of origin.
- US$30 for a single entry for a three-month stay.
- US$50 for multiple entries for a stay of up to three months.
- US$150 for multiple entries over three months up to two years for dependents of residents.
Business visa requirements
- Invitation letter from the facilitator in Botswana
- Business registration certificate if coming to establish a business
- True certified copies of ordination certificates for religious leaders
- Labour clearance/exemption if staying for a month or more
- Meeting schedule if coming to organize or attend a business meeting.
- Copies of Certificate of Incorporation, Trade License, Share Certificate of host if operating a business outfit.
- Return visa from the country of origin.
- US$50 for a single entry for up to 3 months
- US$100 for multiple entries for a stay lasting three months
- US150 for numerous entries for a period of up to 6 months to 1 year
- Waiver from the labor and social security department or copies of work and residence permits.
- Letter of employment/contract of employment or offer letter.
- Copies of RELEVANT Academic and professional qualifications.
Botswana Investors visa requirement
- Original copies of work and residence permits
- Certified copies of incorporation, trade license, share certificate, list of directors, and bank statement.
- US$100 for multiple entries for a 6-month stay.
- US$250 for multiple entries spanning five years.
Botswana study visa
- Study permit or approval letter.
- Admission letter from a school or institution in Botswana.
- Bank statement showing proof of sufficient funds to support oneself
After arranging all your documents, it is time for the application proper. You need to fill out your details as applicable.
These are the steps.
- Visit the Botswanan embassy, immigration office, or consulate to pick up and fill out Form 1 (Application for Visa) in person.
- Tender the required documents (listed above as applicable) with your application form.
- Check the results of your application where it was submitted after seven business days.
- An approval/rejection letter is delivered to the office where the application was made.
- If the visa is approved, it will be printed at the office where the applicant applied for a visa. If the visa is not yet printed, with permission, the applicant can travel with the letter as proof of a visa to Botswana, and the visa will be printed at the official Immigration Ports of Entry.
NOTE: The Government of Botswana will grant entry to everyone entering its territory who has undergone the primary COVID-19 vaccine series. Proof of a negative PCR Test, taken no more than 72 hours before arrival, is required for travelers not vaccinated or partially vaccinated.
To summon emergency services in Botswana, dial *999 for the Police, *998 for Fire, and *992 for Ambulance (MRI).
Adequately equipped private medical clinics, emergency rooms, and physicians are available in Gaborone for simple medical concerns, but services are rudimentary elsewhere. The ability to pay for healthcare must be established before receiving medical care. More advanced medical care can be accessed in South Africa. Many South African manufactured drugs are available.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Botswana e-Visa?
The online visa system for Botswana allows for digitized visa applications through an embassy or consulate.
Which countries need a visa for Botswana?
Very few travelers don’t require a visa for short visits to Botswana, but many nationalities need to have a visa, whether for a day or night visit. Right now, all travelers must obtain a visa before their arrival by applying online via the e-Visa system.
How long can I stay in Botswana with the e-Visa?
When completing the visa application, the applicants’ options are staying for one month (single entry) or three months (multiple entries).
Can one put in for an e-Visa while in Botswana?
No, applying and receiving an approved e-Visa outside of Botswana is necessary before the visitor can enter the country.
How can I get a Botswana tourist visa?
A certified photocopy of pages 1 and 2 of a passport is required, and if the validity period is not less than six (6) months, two recent color passport-size photos. A cover letter explaining the reasons for travel is required. Flight itineraries and hotel reservations or residential addresses in Botswana are added.
In conclusion, Botswana has visa requirements for citizens of many countries. However, the process is generally quick and easy, and the country is worth a visit for its natural beauty and safari opportunities. If you are planning to travel to Botswana, research the visa requirements for your country in advance.