Brandon University Admission Requirements For International Students

Students who study at Brandon University are trained to be prepared for life and build credible careers as they begin to take jobs upon graduation.

Brandon University is a non-profit higher institution of learning established in 1899. The school is based in Brandon, in the province of Manitoba, Canada. Brandon University Admission Requirements for international students is based on merit and providing the right documents.

All applicants must meet the minimum requirements for admission to Brandon University.

Studying at Brandon University affords students the opportunity to apply for scholarships, bursaries, and awards from the school and the provincial government of Manitoba.

Students who study at Brandon University are trained to be prepared for life and build credible careers as they begin to take jobs upon graduation.

Admission Requirements for International Students at Brandon University

To be eligible for admission at the University of Brandon as an international student, you must adhere to the following:

  • Submit official transcripts so your results can be confirmed
  • Transcripts should be sent from your high school
  • You must submit English proficiency test score which must be from the examination authority. TOEFL results can be sent electronically through the examination centre.
  • If you are in your final year of high school, you must include a letter from your principal or another designate attesting that you will graduate from high school before the start of university education at Brandon.
  • Transcripts not written in the English Language must be translated by a certified translator. Include a note indicating the translator in the sealed document.
  • All documents you submit become the property of Brandon University

Details on the admission requirements for international students at Brandon University are provided below:

Documents Required of International Students at Brandon University

Country Document Required
Algeria Baccalaureat
Australia Any of the Following: Higher School Certificate and Record of Achievement, ACT Year 12 Certificate or Senior Secondary Studies Certificate, Senior Certificate, Victorian Certificate of Education, Year 12 Certificate of Achievement, Tasmanian Certificate of Education, Certificate of Secondary Education, SACE.
Austria Maturazeugnis or Reifezeugnis
Bahamas Bahamas General Certificate of Secondary Education (BGCSE)
Benin Secondary School Certificate
Botswana Botswana General Certificate of Secondary Education/Cambridge Overseas Higher School Certificate/Cambridge Overseas School Certificate
Brazil Certificado de Conclusao de Grau/Certificaco de Ensino Medio/Diploma de Tecnico de Nivel Medio
Cameroon Baccalaureat (Secondary School Certificate) or General Certificate of Education Advanced Level
China Senior High School Graduation Diploma
Croatia Svejedodzba Zavrsene Srednje Skole (Secondary School Certificate)
Egypt Secondary School Certificate
England General Certificate of Education
Ethiopia Ethiopia School Leaving Certificate
France Baccalaureat/Baccalaureat General/Diplome de Bachelier/de l’Engseignement du second degree (Secodnary School Certificate)
Georgia Secondary School Certificate
Germany Reifezuegnis or Abitur/Zeugnis der Reife/Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife
Ghana General Certificate of Education/WAEC
Greece Apolytirion Lykiou (Secondary School Certificate)
Hong Kong General Certificate of Education (GCE)/ The Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (HKALE)
Secondary School Certificate (Studentsprof)
India All India Senior School Certificate/Higher Secondary Certificate/Intermediate Examination Certificate/Senior Secondary (12 Class) Examination
Japan Kotogakko Sotsugyo Shomeisho (Upper Secondary Leaving Certificate)
Macedonia Svidetelstvo za Zavreno Sredno Obrazovanie (Secondary School Leaving Certificate)/Diploma za Polozhen Zavrshen Ispit
New Zealand New Zealand University Entrance Examination/National Certificate of Educational Achievement (Level 3 or higher)
Nigeria General Certificate of Education/West African Examination Certificate (WAEC)
Pakistan Higher Secondary Certificate or Intermediate Examination Certificate
Philippines Senior High School Diploma (K-12 System)
Republic of South Korea Immumgye Kodung Hakkyo (Secondary School Certificate)
Russia Attestat O Srednem (Polnom) Obshchem Obrazovanii
Singapore Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education Advanced Level
South Africa Senior Certificate/Certificate from the Matriculation Board/Conditional Certificate from a University of Technology
United Arab Emirates Shahadat Al-Thanawiya Al-Amma (Secondary School Certificate0
United States of America High School Diploma
Vietnam Bang Tot Nghlep Pho Thong Trung Hoc (Secondary School Graduation Certificate)
Zambia Zambian School Certificate

For more information on the documents required of students from other countries, visit Brandon University’s website.

The Requirements for each document are:

GCE: Students submitting GCE must have passes in at least five subjects out of which two or more must be at Advanced Level. If you have passes in three Advanced Level subjects, you may add a pass in one other subject to make four subjects.

HKDSE: A minimum of level 3 in each core subjects. These include Chinese Language, English Language, Liberal Arts, and Mathematics

International Baccalaureate: Overall score of 24 in International Baccalaureate Diploma. The IB Diploma must include three or more Higher Level Courses. Other courses may be Higher Level or Standard Level.

WAEC: minimum of 5 subjects (including English and Mathematics) with a grade of C5 or higher. Students should include the name, serial number, examination number, exam date and year with the document.

Academic Requirements for Transfer Students

You can get admission into University of Brandon as a transfer student if you meet any of these two requirements:

  • A cumulative GPA of 2.0 or more in all courses if you have attempted at least 9 post-secondary credit hours.
  • A cumulative GPA of 2.0 or more in all courses you took as well as evidence of completion of high school if you have offered less than 9 post-secondary credit hours.

As a transfer student, you are to submit transcripts to prove your results directly from your institution. You may also send it yourself if it comes in a sealed envelope from your institution. Your transcript must not be more than one year old as at the time you are submitting your application.

When sending application as a transfer student, you must include your course outlines with details on:

  • Name of your institution, location, and contact information
  • Course code and course title
  • Course credit hours
  • Session or term you took the course
  • Topics covered in the course
  • Assigned textbooks and other materials
  • Description of learning objectives
  • Description of evaluation criteria and grading scale

Send the outline for each course with all the information required as a separate attachment in the same email. Name each attachment using the course code and title.

English Language Requirements for International Students at Brandon University

International students are to provide proof of proficiency in the English Language as part of the admission requirements except if they are from the exempted countries. Exempted countries are:

  • Antigua & Barbuda
  • Australia
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Bermuda
  • Botswana
  • British Solomon Island
  • British West Indies
  • Canada
  • Canal Zone (USA)
  • Cayman Islands
  • Channel Islands
  • Christmas Island
  • Cook Island
  • Dominica
  • England
  • Eire
  • Falkland Island
  • Fiji Island
  • Gambia
  • Ghana
  • Gibraltar
  • Gilbert & Ellice Island
  • Grenada
  • Guam (USA)
  • Guyana
  • Ireland
  • Isle of Man
  • Jamaica
  • Kenya
  • Leeward Islands (Antigua, Anguilla, Barbuda, British Virgin Islands, Guadeloupe, St. Kitts, St. Martin)
  • Lesotho
  • Malawi
  • Malta
  • Mauritius
  • New Zealand
  • Nigeria
  • Norfolk Island
  • Northern Ireland
  • Pitcairn Islands
  • Scotland
  • Sierra Leone
  • St. Kitts
  • South Africa
  • Swaziland
  • Trinidad & Tobago
  • Turks & Caicos Island
  • Uganda
  • United Kingdom
  • United States
  • Virgin Islands (USA)
  • Virgin Islands (UK)
  • Wake-Midway Island (USA)
  • Wales
  • Windward Islands (Barbados, Dominica, Grenada, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent, The Grenadines, Trinidad & Tobago)
  • Zambia
  • Zimbabwe

The English Language Tests accepted from non-exempted students are:

English Language Test Minimum Requirements
Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (C2 Proficiency) Score of 176
Cambridge English Advanced Exam (C1 Advanced ) Score of 176
Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL) and CAEL online Score of 60
Canadian Test for English for Scholars and Trainees (CanTEST) 4.5 in reading and listening

4.0 in speaking and writing

Duolingo English Test 115
English for Academic Purposes (EAP) at Brandon University Successful completion of tier 4
International English Language Testing System (Academic) Overall score of 6.5 or overall score of 7.0 in IELTS online indicator test.
Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) Score of 80
Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) 58
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Score of 550 in paper based test and 80 in internet based test (TOEFL iBT)

The Duolingo and CAEL online language tests are accepted from students who are unable to take IELTS or TOEFL due to COVID-19 restrictions. The English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program is for international students who need to improve their proficiency in the English Language.

Before students can enroll for EAP, they must have some knowledge of English. Therefore English as a course taken in high school is a requirement.

Students from non-exempted countries can get an English Language Waiver if they meet any of the following requirements:

  • Completion of a three-year secondary school program in Canada or the US or a completion of a three-year post-secondary school program in Canada or the US or a combination of a secondary and post-secondary school program taken for three years in Canada or the US. Students must make a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0.
  • Graduation from a high school within or outside Manitoba. Students must have taken one or more Grade 12 English credit which should be equivalent to the Manitoba 40S. A minimum grade of 70% is required.
  • Completion of International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher Level English Course. Minimum score of 4 is required.
  • Completion of Advanced Placement English, Language and Composition, or Literature and Composition. Minimum score of 4 is required.
  • Completion of undergraduate degree from a recognized English-speaking institution.
  • Residing in Canada for a minimum of 10 years consecutively.

Note: You are not to submit test results that are more than two years old.

How to Apply for Admission for Admission to Brandon University

  • Fill the Brandon University online application form. A non-refundable application form of $140 applies.
  • You will receive an email indicating the specific documents required of you. Your documents will not be received after the deadline.
  • You may send your transcript yourself, but in a sealed envelope from your institution

Note: If your application comes in after the first term deadline, you application will automatically be deferred to second term. If your application comes late during second term, your application will be invalid and you will have to wait till the next term for a new application for which a new application fee will apply.

If you have login issues, you can contact [email protected]. For other enquiries on admission procedures, contact [email protected]. For a one on one chat, you can contact:

International Students

Telephone: (204) 727 7479

Fax: (204) 727 7471

Email: [email protected]