Are you a foreign student who desires to study in top-notch universities or other academic institutions in Brunei? If yes, you need a Brunei student visa to make your desires a reality in Brunei.
The education and learning environment for Brunei institutions are world-class. Therefore, you would be able to explore the different multi-cultural interactions with other students from different parts of the world.
In order to have a hitch-free Brunei student visa application and processing, here is a guide to sailing you through the requirements, fees, and application steps for a student visa in Brunei.
In this article
- About Brunei
- Student’s life in Brunei
- What is a Brunei student visa?
- Brunei student visa exemptions
- Visa exemption countries for ninety days
- Countries with visa exemptions for thirty days
- Two weeks visa exemptions countries to Brunei
- Documents required for a Brunei student visa
- Application steps for a Brunei student visa
- Brunei student visa processing time and application fee
- Scholarship opportunities for International students in Brunei
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Brunei, officially the Nation of Brunei, the Abode of Peace, is a country located on the north coast of Borneo in Southeast Asia. The sovereign state is surrounded by Malaysia and has a population of over 430,000. Its capital, Bandar Seri Begawan, is the largest city in Brunei. Islam is the official religion of Brunei and Arabic is the official language.
Brunei’s economy is largely supported by its oil and gas reserves, which account for about 90% of government revenue and 95% of exports.
Student’s life in Brunei
Student life in Brunei is both comfortable and affordable. The cost of living for international students is relatively low because most students can find apartments to rent near campus. Several student organizations and clubs are available, as well as opportunities to get involved in the local community. The climate is tropical, so students can enjoy the country’s beach and outdoor activities year-round.
What is a Brunei student visa?
It is an authorization document that allows foreigners to visit the country to study for a specific period. It is valid for three months, but you can renew it if you wish to stay longer for your academic programs. International students with a Brunei student visa can work while studying as a student in tertiary institutions in the country. But the kind of jobs must be temporary. Foreign students can apply for resident permits in Brunei if they wish to stay in the country longer than their study period.
Brunei student visa exemptions
We could easily say that a foreign student planning to study in Brunei needs a Brunei student visa. It is because most academic programs are longer than three months in Brunei.
Nevertheless, students from some countries can travel and stay in Brunei for up to three months without a student visa. So you need to check the list of countries below their if you also enjoy the visa exemption from Brunei.
Visa exemption countries for ninety days
- EU Member States
- United Kingdom
- United States
Countries with visa exemptions for thirty days
- New Zealand
- South Korea
- United Arab Emirates
Two weeks visa exemptions countries to Brunei
- Costa Rica
- Hong Kong
Note that diplomats from the countries listed below can visit and stay in Brunei without a visa but must hold their International passports.
Documents required for a Brunei student visa
Suppose you have all the required documents for the student visa application in the right format. Then, you stand a better chance of getting your student visa processed without delay at the embassy. So find below the documents you must provide for the embassy to consider your Brunei student visa application.
- A valid International passport that has a validity of at least six months must have blank data pages for official use at the embassy or immigration office.
- A Brunei student visa application form which you must fill out without errors.
- Copies of your educational credentials like high school results, diploma, or bachelor’s degree certificate.
- Proof of enrollment or letter of admission into Brunei University or other academic institutions.
- A recent bank statement shows that you are capable of fulfilling your financial obligations as a student in Brunei for at least one year. It could also be your credit card details or other means of financial solvency.
- Evidence of Health insurance that will cover your health care services throughout your study period.
- A medical certificate from an approved government health institution to show that you are medically fit to visit Brunei for study.
- Two copies of your recent passport-size pictures should be colored with a white background.
- You need to attach evidence of where you will stay in Brunei, like a hostel reservation or the address of a rented apartment. If you plan to live with your family member in Brunei, you should provide the residential address of the relative.
- You should attach a letter of support from your sponsor if you are sponsored by a family or organization in Brunei.
- If you are from an infectious disease nation, you must attach an International vaccination certificate to your student visa application form.
Application steps for a Brunei student visa
It is best to apply for a Brunei student visa if you have secured admission to Brunei academic institution. It is because visa applications will receive expedited consideration and approval from the embassy. So, these are the steps you should follow to apply for a Brunei student visa easily.
The first thing is to access the Brunei official website to download the visa application form. Then you fill it out without mistakes; you should provide genuine and verifiable information.
The next step is to attach all your supporting documents to apply, packed in a self-addressed envelope. But if you can complete all applications online, you should upload all the documents and submit your application online. After submission, you proceed to pay the application fee, and a reference number be generated for you to track your application status.
Meanwhile, if your application is to be completed offline, you should visit the embassy in your country to book an appointment for submission and an interview.
If you can secure an appointment, you can pay the visa application fee as instructed by the consular officer.
Then visit the embassy to submit all your credentials on the scheduled date and time. Thereafter, the consular officer will interview you on questions related to why you need a student visa. If you are done with the interview, your biometrics will be captured then, and then you can return home.
What you need to do at this point is to wait for a few days so that the embassy can process your visa and get back to you on the final verdict. Then, if you are successful, you can take the next flight to Brunei and start your academic activities. If you are not, you can apply again and ensure you have what is required.
Brunei student visa processing time and application fee
Brunei embassies are very fast in processing visa applications because you can get your student visa in less than five days after you submit your application.
If you are to apply for a Brunei student visa, you should budget between 30 USD to 40 USD. It is best to apply for your Brunei student visa early enough so you don’t get delayed because there could be bulky applications to process by the embassy sometimes.
Scholarship opportunities for International students in Brunei
The government of Brunei provides funding for most universities in Brunei Nonetheless; International students have to pay their tuition fees.
However, there are numerous scholarships available for international students studying in Brunei. The scholarships are of enormous benefits, such as covering flight tickets and accommodation fees. They are more for postgraduate programs for International students. Find below the most reliable scholarships for international students studying Brunei:
- Fulbright Scholarships
- UBD Graduate Scholarship
- Royal Society International Exchange Program
- Brunei Darussalam Government Scholarship for International Student
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is Brunei fun to visit?
Yes, Brunei is fun to visit! It’s a small country with a lot to offer, from its stunning mosques and gorgeous beaches to its delicious food and friendly people. You’ll never find yourself bored in Brunei, that’s for sure!
Can I work with a Brunei student visa?
Yes, you can work with a Brunei student visa. You will need a work permit from the Ministry of Home Affairs. The work permit is valid for the duration of your studies. You can work up to 20 hours per week while attending school and full-time during a vacation period. There are a few restrictions on the type of work you can do, but you should be able to find something that suits your skills and interests.
How much is the tuition fee for Brunei universities?
The tuition fee in Brunei depends on the individual university and the course you wish to study. For example, if you wish to study Bachelor’s degree in Nursing and midwifery, you need B$18,000.00 for the tuition fee. Note that 1 USD is equal to 0.8 B$.
What are the top five best universities in Brunei?
- University of Brunei Darussalam
- Sultan Sharif Ali Islamic University.
- the Brunei Polytechnic
- The Brunei University of Technology.
- Institute of Brunei Technical Education
Is Brunei a good country to study?
The country has a rich history and culture and is an excellent place to study. Brunei is a safe and stable country, with a low crime rate and a high standard of living. The government provides free education and healthcare, and many scholarships are available for international students.
Brunei is undoubtedly a tiny country, but with a Brunei student visa, you can reap numerous benefits as an international student. You will discover that the application procedures are simple to grab if you follow the guide in this article.