You must hold a valid Bulgaria visa if you desire to gain legal entry into Bulgaria. It takes not more than 35 days to get the visa regardless of the type of Bulgarian visa that suits your purpose of travel.
Foreigners travel to Bulgaria for several reasons. Some of the most common causes include educational enrollment, a visit, employment purposes, a tour, or travel through the country to their destination country. Therefore, Bulgaria visas vary depending on your reason for entering the country.
Generally speaking, Bulgaria is a country well-known for its low cost of living, unique culture, friendly residents, superb education system, and fixed tax rates. These things attract foreigners to choose Bulgaria as the country best to fulfill their purpose of travel.
Moreover, this blog post explores the types, exemptions, requirements, fees, processing times, validity period, and other relevant information about Bulgarian visas.
Read on to find out more.
What is a Bulgaria Visa?
Technically, a Bulgarian visa is a document that permits foreigners to enter Bulgaria for a particular purpose. These include employment, transit, study, work, tour, or visiting a family member or friend.
Indeed, the only way to obtain a Bulgarian visa is through a diplomatic mission, including a Bulgarian embassy or consulate in your country.
Types of Bulgarian Visas
It is without a doubt that there are different types of visas that allow foreigners to enter Bulgaria for specific purposes. These include:-
#1. Bulgaria Type A Visa (Airport Transit Visa)
This Bulgarian visa authorizes foreigners to travel through one of Bulgaria’s airports to another country. On the contrary, it disallows its holders from leaving the airport and getting into the city.
#2. Bulgaria Type C Visa (Short-Stay Visa)
This type of Bulgarian visa is open to foreigners who want to enter Bulgaria for a visit, tour, or business. In addition, a Bulgarian Type C visa is valid for a maximum of 90 days.
#3. Bulgaria Type D Visa (Long-Stay Visa)
This type of Bulgarian visa is ideal for foreigners who plan to stay in Bulgaria long. In addition, it covers international students and foreign workers who seek opportunities in the Republic of Bulgaria.
Bulgaria Type D visa has a twelve-month validity period, allowing for multiple entries into the country.
Exemptions for Bulgaria Visas
Generally, some people do not require a visa to travel to Bulgaria for up to 90 days in six months.
- Holders of multiple Schengen visas
- Foreign individuals with a valid residence permit or visa from Croatia, Cyprus, or Romania
While applying for any Bulgarian visa, you have to pay one of the following fees depending on your choice of visa. Unquestionably, paying the visa fee enables the Bulgarian embassy or consulate to begin your application processing.
- Bulgarian Type A visa: $95
- Bulgarian Type C visa: $95 (the fee varies on certain conditions)
- Bulgarian Type D visa: $118 (for six months visa); $236 (one year visa)
However, there are some exemptions for the visa fees. The exemption covers official, diplomatic, special, or service passport holders, children below six years old, and family members of Bulgarian or European Union Member States nationals.
Bulgarian Visa Processing Times
Officially, the processing times of Bulgarian visas differ from each other. For example, Bulgarian Type A and Type C visas are processed earlier than Bulgarian Type D visa applications.
Suppose you intend to obtain a Bulgarian Type A or Type C visa. In that case, your application waiting period is 15 days, including weekends.
Moreover, foreigners who want to get a Bulgarian Type D visa need to wait for up to 35 working days for the embassy or consulate to complete their application processing.
During the Bulgaria visa application process, you must provide some documents to the Bulgarian embassy or consulate in your country of residence. Remember that the documents must bear an Apostille stamp, confirming that they are real.
The following is a list of documents necessary for processing a Bulgarian visa.
- Electronically completed application form for Bulgarian visa. After filling out the form, you must print it out and append your signature on it.
- A valid passport or travel document
- Duplicate copies of your passport’s data page and previous visas
- A light background passport photograph with a width of 3.5 cm and height of 4 5 cm
- Identical copies of current residence permit, visa, and other relevant authorization documents to live in a foreign country (required if you live overseas)
- Proof of funds such as an accounts statement
- Proof of travel insurance with a minimum coverage of €30,000. It would be best if you also considered that the insurance should be valid throughout your stay in Bulgaria.
- Travel itinerary. In lieu, you can pay for a round-trip flight ticket to Bulgaria.
- Proof of prepaid accommodation (hotel or rented apartment) in Bulgaria
- Evidence of purpose of travel to the Republic of Bulgaria
- Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) to demonstrate that you haven’t been previously convicted in your country of origin
- Photocopy of birth certificate or adoption certificate (required for children’s application)
- Marriage certificate (required by foreigners who intend to visit either their spouse or partner in Bulgaria)
- Invitation letter from your host in Bulgaria (if applicable)
- Tourist voucher from travel agent (if applicable)
- A certificate issued by a Bulgarian health facility (if applicable)
- A discharge declaration from a medical facility in your country of residence (if applicable)
How to Get a Bulgarian Visa
Here are six (6) steps you can take in getting any Bulgarian visa.
- Choose one out of the types of Bulgarian visas
- Collect all required documents for your Bulgarian visa application
- Schedule an appointment with a Bulgarian embassy or consulate
- Complete the Bulgaria visa application form
- Visit the Bulgarian diplomatic mission for submission and interview
- Wait to receive the diplomatic mission’s decision
Step 1: Choose one out of the types of Bulgarian visas
As the first step in getting a Bulgarian visa, you have to opt for one of the types of visas, i.e., Type A, Type C, or Type D visas.
Step 2: Collect all required documents for your Bulgarian visa application
#2 out of the six steps in getting a Bulgaria visa involves gathering all supporting documents for your visa application. If you don’t include any of the documents in your application, you will probably face a denial.
Step 3: Schedule an appointment with a Bulgarian embassy or consulate
Next, you have to contact a Bulgarian embassy or consulate so that you can book an appointment with one of the officials there.
Step 4: Complete the Bulgaria visa application form
Another step to take in obtaining a Bulgarian visa involves downloading. as well as completing its application form.
Step 5: Visit the Bulgarian diplomatic mission for submission and interview
#5 out of the six steps in procuring a Bulgarian visa requires you to visit an embassy or consulate for submission of the required documents.
This is also the time to pay your visa fee and answer your interview questions (if requested).
Step 6: Wait to receive the diplomatic mission’s decision
At this time, you have to hope for a decision from the Bulgarian embassy or consulate. If you have a positive visa application, you can pack your things to travel to Bulgaria.
Moreover, don’t forget to bring your supporting documents with you.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do you need a visa to visit Bulgaria?
Yes, you must get a visa to enter the Republic of Bulgaria. You can apply for it online or via the Bulgarian embassy or consulate in your country of residence.
How long does Bulgarian visa processing take?
It takes 15 to 35 days to get a Bulgarian visa depending on the type of visa.
How much does a Bulgarian visa cost?
The cost of getting a Bulgarian visa ranges from $95 to $236, depending on the type of visa you want to obtain. However, you can enter Bulgaria visa-free for up to 90 days if you hold a valid Schengen visa or a Cyprian, Romanian or Croatian visa or residence permit.
Is it easy to get a Bulgarian visa?
Yes, getting a visa to Bulgaria is relatively easy, but the process can take some time.
What is the duration of a Bulgarian visa?
There is no particular validity period for a Bulgarian visa as it varies depending on the type of visa. For example, a Bulgarian Type A visa is valid for only a few hours, while a Bulgaria Type C visa is valid for not more than 90 days. Furthermore, a Bulgarian Type C visa is valid for up to twelve months.
In summary, getting a Bulgarian visa is easy but may require some effort due to its extensive paperwork. However, the visa will surely give you a breathtaking experience throughout your stay in the country.
Ensure that you follow all the steps in this blog post and submit your application on time. You can also check back here again, so you don’t forget anything.
We wish you the best as you journey to Bulgaria!