Burkina Faso visa requirements may not be the same for all travelers.
It may interest you to know there are countries whose Nationals can travel visa-free to Burkina Faso.
About 18 countries are on the visa-free list, so if you wish to visit Burkina Faso, check out the list of eligible countries.
Additionally, nationals of some countries must arrive in Burkina Faso first before obtaining their visas.
However, travelers whose countries do not fall under these two categories must present some documents and apply for a visa before they can travel to Burkina Faso.
Meanwhile, you must know the reason for your travel and apply for the corresponding visa if you visit Burkina Faso because every visa has a purpose.
So, here is a list of visas and their requirements below.
In this article
- Countries that can travel to Burkina Faso without a visa
- Which countries have different periods that they can stay in the country?
- Types of Burkina Faso visa and their requirements
- Burkina Faso tourist visa
- Tourist visa requirements
- How to apply
- Burkina Faso Visa on arrival
- Tourist visa fee for visa on arrival to Burkina Faso
- Burkina Faso business visa
- Traveling to Burkina Faso with a minor
- Burkina Faso online visa application
- Eligible countries for Burkina Faso electronic travel visa authorization
- Frequently Asked Questions
Countries that can travel to Burkina Faso without a visa
Citizens of these countries don’t need to worry about visas and their applications to arrive in Burkina Faso. All they need to hold is a valid passport and health declaration document.
Which countries have different periods that they can stay in the country?
Some countries with visa-free policies for Burkina Faso can stay for 30 days, while others may stay longer. However, it must not exceed 90 days.
Else, the traveler will need to apply for a visa if they wish to stay longer.
Furthermore, these countries can travel visa-free to Burkina Faso:
- The Gambia
- United Arab Emirates
- Ivory Coast
- Cape Verde
- The central African Republic
- Sierra Leone
Types of Burkina Faso visa and their requirements
Burkina Faso tourist visa
This type of visa serves only travelers who want to visit Burkina Faso as tourists.
If your country is not among the visa-free countries, you must apply for this visa as a tourist.
Anyone who holds a tourist visa can not use it for any other reason like; carrying out business or any other activity in the country.
Additionally, the tourist visa is a short-stay visa. Holders cannot stay up to two years in the country.
Tourist visa requirements
- Two copies of the Burkina Faso visa application form were correctly filled out and signed. Your details must correspond with what is in your passport booklet.
- A recent 2×2 passport-sized photograph with a white background. You must not be putting on eyeglasses and head gear except for religious purposes.
- A passport that has at least six months validity at the time of your travel and two blank pages
- Proof of enough funds to last to your stay
- Return flight ticket
- Evidence of your vaccination for yellow fever.
- You must provide evidence of your accommodation or hotel reservation.
How to apply
This process means that your country may not be eligible for an e-visa application or among the non-visa-free countries.
Therefore, you must locate the Burkina Faso embassy or consulate closest to you for your application.
Schedule an interview.
Arrive early and promptly for the visa interview.
On that day, dress smartly and answer the questions honestly and confidently.
After your interview, you can go and wait patiently for the embassy to contact you with your visa verdict.
Burkina Faso Visa on arrival
At least fifty-two countries do not have to apply for any Burkina Faso visa until they get to the point of entry.
You only have to show your passport and wait for the immigration officer on duty to verify the validity and authenticity before proceeding into the country.
At the point of entry, you will pay a visa fee of $100.
Additionally, you must decide if you need a single or multiple entry visa, though both have three months validity.
In continuation, you must be sure that you arrive in Burkina Faso through the appropriate entry point. Do make inquiries and find out which airport you must land in.
Remember that you must possess your vaccination proof or a document stating that you are in good health before applying at the point of entry.
Please note that immigration officers have the exclusive right to deny entry to the country if you are dissatisfied with your documents or if something looks fraudulent about you. And if this happens, they will make you turn around immediately and leave.
Tourist visa fee for visa on arrival to Burkina Faso
- A single entry visa that has the validity of three months is about $100
- Multiple entry visas that last for three months are about 140 dollars
- A single entry visa with six months of validity is $150
- A single entry visa that has a one-year validity is $200
- Multiple entries with one-year validity are 250 Dollars
Burkina Faso business visa
Anyone traveling to Burkina Faso to carry out business must apply for a business visa. If you belong here, you must present the following documents at your nearest Burkina Faso embassy or consulate:
- Correctly filled out and signed the visa application form.
- A valid passport with not less than six-month validity at the time of your travel
- Two passport photographs with white background showing your face without glasses and head cover
- An invitation letter from a company in Burkina Faso written on their letterhead
- Your company’s letter with details about you, the purpose of your travel, how long you will stay, and the kind of business you’re coming to do.
- Yellow fever vaccine certificate
- Hotel reservations or evidence of where you stay in the country
- Your return flight tickets
- Now, the application fee for this particular visa depends on the country you came from. For example, a citizen of the United States of America applying for this Visa in Burkina Faso must pay an application fee of $180 for a single entry visa.
How to apply
- Visit the embassy and submit your documents.
- Schedule for your interview and attend your interview
- And wait for the embassy to contact you for your visa.
Traveling to Burkina Faso with a minor
- Your visa application as an adult does not cover the minor who accompanied you.
- You must apply separately for them.
- So, present these requirements
- Birth certificate
- Minors traveling with just one parent must carry a letter of consent from the other parent.
- The minor traveling alone must carry consent letters from both parents or guidance.
Burkina Faso online visa application
Countries like the USA can apply for their visa to Burkina Faso online.
You can apply for the e-visa without stressing about locating a physical embassy.
Tourists or business people from the eligible country can use the services of the e-visa. That means submitting all the required documents online and waiting for a mail for your visa approval.
However, it is best to check with your country and know if you are eligible to apply online.
Perhaps, you cannot present all the requirements for the online application; apply from your nearest embassy or a consulate.
- United States
Frequently Asked Questions
What vaccines does Burkina Faso require from visitors?
First and foremost, the country is strict on the yellow fever vaccine. Amongst other Vaccines, yellow fever tops the list.
So, every visitor from nine months old and above must show yellow fever vaccination proof before entering Burkina Faso.
Aside from that, the country requires you to have Measles, Mumps, and Rubella ( MMR ), Hepatitis A and B, Meningitis, Polio, Measles, Chicken Pox, Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis Vaccines.
How long is a tourist visa?
A tourist visa is a short-stay visa, so anyone holding it must stay in the country for a maximum of 90 days, depending on where you are applying from. Most times, it could be less, and your tourist visa will last only 30 days.
Which religion is the majority in Burkina Faso?
Burkina Faso practices free worship for everybody but the Muslim worshippers are more dominant in this country. This is why you can see more women covering their hair and wearing long clothes that cover their hands and ankles.
The men wear long gowns with long sleeves, so they don’t expose any part of their bodies.
Will I face any penalty if I overstay my visa in Burkina Faso?
Yes, there are penalties for people who overstay their visas and fail to leave the country immediately.
Now, for each day you overstay, you have a fine to pay. So, for example, if you overstayed your visa by ten days, you must pay a fine for each day until the tenth day.
Again, Burkina Faso may deny you a visit next time you try to apply. And it may take a while before freely reapply a Burkina Faso visa.
In some cases, the immigration may sue you in court for breaking their visa policy, and it may attract extra consequences.
Can I extend my visa to Burkina Faso?
Once your visa is about to expire, and you’re not done with what brought you into the country, quickly apply for a visa extension.
Do not wait for your visa expiry date; start at least two weeks ahead and start applying for an extension.
Found in West Africa is still a developing country, Burkina Faso has a diversified culture and language.
No, they are not among the richest countries in Africa, but they are very welcoming and have the best interest of strangers at heart.