Can A Refugee Become A Permanent Resident In Canada?

This article will attempt to address questions or inquiries as regarding whether refugees or protected persons can become a permanent resident in Canada. “Can a refugee become a permanent resident in Canada?” Yes, it’s possible!

Refugees or protected persons are people who left their home Country for their own safety and are granted legal protection status by a foreign country. This category of people enjoy protection from the Canadian government and may also apply for permanent resident in Canada.

In Canada, the Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) are the bodies that determine who is a Protected Person.

If the IRCC and IRB determined you to be a person in need of protection, you are a refugee and may apply for permanent residence with this application.

You may apply for Canadian permanent residency anytime after being notified by the IRCC or by the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) that you are a Protected Person or a refugee. Your family members i.e Spouse or common-law partner, your dependent children can also be listed in your application.

What documents are required to become a permanent resident as a refugee?

The information below identifies the documents that you will be required to send with your application. Please ensure that your application includes all of the required documents.

  • Your personal identification documents which should include; International passport, Birth certificate, identity cards, baptismal record, and school certificate as proof of identity.
  • Two (2) passport-sized photos for each person. Include 2 passport-sized photos of yourself and each member of your family in a small envelope. With names of each person written at the back of each photo and attach the envelope in the application form.
  • Payment Receipt: Include a receipt showing total payment of application fees.
  • Proof of Refugee status i.e letter you received with your positive decision from IRCC or form the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB).

Please ensure that your documents are truly certified by the authority before submitting your applications. Authority to administer oaths varies by country or province. Consult your local authorities for more inquiries.