Can I Travel With Confirmation Of Permanent Residence To Canada
Home » Can I Travel With Confirmation Of Permanent Residence To Canada?

Can I Travel With Confirmation Of Permanent Residence To Canada?

After successfully obtaining your Canada permanent resident visa, you may not immediately get your PR Card from IRCC to travel to Canada until after some months, but you will be immediately issued a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR).

With a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) you can immigrate, live, study or work anywhere in Canada. You have the full rights to live and work anywhere as a Canadian resident but there are some exceptions.

Provincial Nominee Program

If you were issued your CoPR based on a Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) it is advisable that you live and work in the province that nominated you during the immigration process.

You may not be restricted from leaving the province but provincially-nominated migrants sign and agree to a contract with the province and must show a genuine intention to stay there in order to be granted PR status in Canada.

Therefore, failing to demonstrate that you are ready to live in the province that nominated you may affect your status.

Port of Entry (POE)

Usually, if you choose to enter Canada through a city outside of the province you were nominated to work, it is up to the customs officer to allow you declare your permanent residence status at that port of entry.

If you enter through a port of entry that is not listed on your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) document, you may experience unnecessary delay or complications. Therefore, it is recommended that you land in the city that is listed on your CoPR document.

When Can I Move as a Provincial Nominee?

Once you fulfill the terms of your signed PNP agreement, you are free to immigrate to any part of the country.

The PNP is by invitation only. Each province and territory has its own Provincial Nominee Program or selection system with its own guidelines and requirements.

You were selected based on the skills you can add to that province or specific “streams” that target audience of:

  • Skilled workers
  • Students
  • Business Professionals

The Quebec province does not have a Provincial Nominee Program and nominates its own skilled workers, therefore if you wish to land in Quebec you must get a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ).

But under the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP), Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program or a Canadian Experience Class (CEC) you can live in any Canadian province that you wish and don’t have the same contractual obligations.

Share this update:

Similar Posts