Canada Among Top Countries Considered To Be Safest For International Students

Canada is among the top countries considered to be safest for international students and has further improved its position as the most popular study destination because of its way of handling the coronavirus pandemic. This is according to two surveys carried out by Navitas Insights.

In addition, the survey also shows that countries viewed as the safest for international students are not necessarily considered as being ‘ welcoming.’ But, Canada is one of the top countries in the world that are considered to be both.

In fact, Canada has initiated some measures to allow students from overseas countries to travel to their desired destination.

International students who wish to travel to Canada only need to be attending a post-secondary institution that has obtained approval on its COVID-19 readiness plan from the provincial or territorial government in which the institution is located. It does not matter where the student is travelling from.

The first survey was conducted in May 2020. Findings from that survey suggest Canada as one of the countries that are ahead of the pack, alongside Australia and New Zealand.

Navitas Insights carried out another research in September 2020. Canada had improved its overall position since May but was now competing with the United States for the top spot, instead of the Oceanic states.

How to get a Canadian Study Permit

The first major step to studying in Canada is to know what Designated Learning Institution (DLI) you wish to study at, and which program you want to study.

After applying for your desired course or program, you may obtain a letter of acceptance from your Designated Learning Institution.

You will then be required to lodge an application to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) in order to get a Canadian study permit.

If you want, you may also include your loved ones or family members in the application, so that they, too, will join you in Canada. Your spouse may be able to obtain an open work permit so that they can work for any Canadian employer while you study.

To lodge your application, you will need a letter of acceptance from your school and prove that you have sufficient money to pay for your tuition for the first year. You are also required to prove that you have no bad medical or criminal record.

If your institution is in the province of Quebec, you will have to obtain a Certificat d’acceptation du Quebec (CAQ, or Quebec Acceptance Certificate).

Share with friends
Get Canada Immigration Alerts!

What do you want to do


Take a quick, 100% free self-assessment.