As a Canadian permanent resident, you have the opportunity to renew your PR Card. The Canada PR Card renewal process is simple and can be completed online. Most of the information you need to provide are those you have already or can easily retrieve.
Before you begin the Canada permanent resident card renewal process, ensure that you meet the Canada Residency Obligation.
That is, you must have spent at least a minimum of 730 days in Canada for the past 5 years. (The 5-year period is the validity time frame for your first PR Card.)
If otherwise, you are not eligible to renew your PR Card and you may lose your Canadian permanent residency status if you attempt to renew it anyway.
Also, if you have not spent up to 1080 days in Canada since the past five years as at the time you are applying for the renewal of your Canada PR Card, you may have to fill the Residency Determination questionnaire.
This is to prove that you met the Canada Residency Obligation requirements. If you fail to respond to the questionnaire, you become at risk of losing your status as a permanent resident of Canada.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Apply for Canada PR Card Renewal
- 2 PR Card Renewal Requirements
- 3 Canada PR Card Renewal Processing Time
- 4 Submitting Your Application for PR Card Renewal
- 5 How Can you Check your PR Card Renewal Status?
How to Apply for Canada PR Card Renewal
You can apply to renew your PR Card online or on paper. The online application is most common and is recommended as it’s also the fastest and allows you to thoroughly scrutinize your application before you submit it.
How to Renew your Canada Permanent Resident Card Online
The steps for completing the Canada PR Card renewal online are:
- Complete the renewal form (IMM 5444)
- Provide Supporting documents
- Pay the PR Card renewal fee
- Submit the application
Step 1: Complete the Renewal Form (IMM 5444)
The Canada PR Card renewal form or IMM 5444 is the document all persons applying to renew their Canadian permanent resident card must fill. The document is also applicable if you want to replace your PR card after you have misplaced it.
The IMM 5444 is a four-page long document and is divided into different sections. Note that the form is quite comprehensive and requires adequate attention when you are filling it. Fill the renewal form by doing the following:
Enter your UCI
On the first page of your application form, you will find the space provided to fill in your Unique Client Identifier (UCI). The UCI is an 8-digit number the IRCC assigned to you when you made your initial application for PR. If you can no longer remember your UCI number, you may leave the space blank.
- Provide accurate details on when you arrived in Canada or became a permanent resident of the country. Also, include the date you obtained your first permanent residence card in the space provided and indicate that your purpose in filling the form is to apply for renewal of your Canada PR card.
- In Section A of the form, provide your personal details. These include:
- Your full name
- Date of birth
- Country of birth and country(ies) of citizenship
- Residential and mailing address in Canada
- Telephone number, email address
- Marital status
- Continue to Section B. Here, you will fill in details of your immigration history such as the city you first resided in as a permanent resident and other details required.
- Section C of the document lets you fill in other personal details related to your education, work, and travel history within and outside Canada. Ensure to make this section as comprehensive as possible.
- If you have not spent up to 1080 days in Canada, you will have to fill the Section D of the form which is the Residency Obligation. Provide comprehensive details on all of the travels you made outside of Canada since you became a permanent resident.
- Other parts of the form you will fill are the Consent to Disclose Information, Declaration of Applicant, and a Solemn Declaration if you had misplaced your previous card.
PR Card Renewal Requirements
Asides from the IMM 5444, you will provide other supporting documents during your online application. The supporting documents required for PR Card renewal in Canada are:
- A copy of your confirmation of permanent residence or Record of Landing
- An accepted photo ID card such as your Driver’s license.
- Your international passport
- A copy or affidavit of your change of name if you have changed your name since you obtained the first pr card.
You will find a list of all of these documents in the PR Card Renewal Document Checklist (IMM 5644) found on the IRCC’s website.
Photo Specifications for Renewing your Canadian PR Card
The IRCC has standard specifications for the passport-sized photo you include in your application. If your photo does not tally with these specifications, it may be hard for the IRCC to identify your picture and assess your application.
Importantly, you should bear the following in mind when choosing photos for your PR Card renewal:
- Submit identical photographs only. If you are providing more than one photo for the same application, they should all be the same picture.
- You are free to make your photograph colored or in black and white.
- Submit original photos only. Do not crop your face out of an already existing photograph.
- Maintain a neutral facial expression when taking the picture.
- Avoid shadows and too many reflections
- The photograph should be on a white background
- You may wear glasses in your photograph. Only ensure your eyes are clearly visible. However, do not use hats or other kinds of head coverings.
- The dimension of the photograph should be about 50mm wide by 70 mm high or 2 inches wide by about ¾ inches high.
- On the back of the photo, provide your name and date of birth as well as the day you took the photograph, the name and address of the photography studio.
PR Card Renewal Fee
Payment for your PR Card renewal can be done by yourself or a representative such as an agent who is filling the form on your behalf.
You will not be able to pay the fee through the IMM 5401 receipt form. Rather, you will pay directly through the IRCC’s website. After that, you should print your receipt and attach it to your application.
The application fee for PR Card renewal in Canada is C$50.
Canada PR Card Renewal Processing Time
Several factors could lengthen the processing time for your renewal. Nevertheless, the Canada PR Card renewal processing time is roughly about 137 days.
There are guidelines on the IRCC website which you can follow if you will want to obtain your PR Card urgently.
You must be travelling within the next three months for any of the following reasons to qualify for the urgent permanent resident card processing:
- A job opportunity
- A serious illness or health condition
- The death of a family member
- Work-related purposes
- A family member’s serious health condition.
Submitting Your Application for PR Card Renewal
You can submit your online application for pr by mail or courier to the IRCC’s office using this mailing address:
Sydney, Nova Scotia
49 Dorchester Street,
Sydney, Nova Scotia
How Can you Check your PR Card Renewal Status?
You can check your renewal status online by signing into your online account and using the identification number you were given when you submitted the application. You may also call the IRCC directly using this number: 1-888-242-2100.
What is the PR Card Renewal Mailing Address?
Sydney, Nova Scotia
Courier Delivery Address
Sydney, Nova Scotia
What is the UCI Number on the PR Card?
UCI is the acronym for Unique Client Identifier. The IRCC gives a unique set of digits to everyone who has obtained any kind of official document from the Government of Canada. The UCI is also referred to as the Client Identification Number (Client ID).
The ID is made up of four numbers, a hyphen, and four other numbers or two numbers, a hyphen, four numbers, another hyphen, and four more numbers.
How Much does it Cost to Renew your PR Card in Canada?
The Canada PR Card renewal fee is C$50. Note that you will spend more than this amount during the application process as you will be sending your application through mail or courier service.
What Phone Number can I Call to Renew my PR Card?
You can obtain the information you want on renewing your PR Card from the IRCC website. However, if you will prefer a one-on-one conversation with a representative, you can contact the IRCC call center using this phone number: 1-888-242-2100.
Can I Get a Refund of my PR Card Renewal Fee?
You can get a refund of the amount you paid for renewing your PR Card if the IRCC returns your application to you. Your application will be returned if you did not fill the forms completely.
You will receive the refund within 8 weeks from when your application was returned. If you don’t receive the refund, you can send a refund request to IRCC.