Home Support Worker Pilot
Home » Canada Still Accepting Applications Under the Home Support Worker Pilot Program

Canada Still Accepting Applications Under the Home Support Worker Pilot Program

The federal government of Canada is still accepting permanent residence applications under the Home Support Worker Pilot.

The Canadian government webpage says it is yet to reach the cap for the home support worker pilot program. The webpage will be updated if and when the federal government closes the pilot program to new applications in 2020.

Another pilot that was recently introduced in tandem to last summer, the Home Child Care Provider Pilot, has been filled. There were 2,750 applications lodged under this pilot. Applications will soon reopen on Jan. 1, 2021.

People who already lodged applications to either pilot do not need to contact the IRCC. The Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will forward notification letters to applicants once processing starts. IRCC says it may take longer than usual to forward the letter because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

These two five-year pilot programs allow eligible caregivers and their family members to come to Canada and apply for Canadian permanent residence.

Foreign nationals who have been offered employment as caregivers in Canada may be able to apply for immigration via one of these immigration pilots.

The application process will be separate for each applicant depending on their circumstances, and qualifying work experience.

Qualifying work experience could mean having full-time work experience as either a home support worker or a child care provider. Experience as housekeepers or foster parents does not count.

How does the process work?

People who already have at least twenty-four (24) months of qualifying work experience and may be qualified to apply for the pilot program that is relevant to their field. Applicants will need to show that they have this work experience.

As long as interested applicants meet other eligibility requirements, they may not need the full twenty-four (24) months of work in order to apply.

Interested applicants who want to work as home support workers in Canada can now apply, but those other applicants who wish to work as child care providers must apply next year.

While applying, candidates must lodge a work permit application along with the application for Canadian permanent residence.

If candidates meet the requirements, they will be granted a temporary work permit. This work permit is an occupation- restricted open work permit, which allows holders to work as caregivers for any employer in Canada as long as they are not blacklisted by the federal government.

Once candidates obtained the required twenty-four (24) months of work experience, they can send in their proof of experience and Canada will then make a final decision on their application.

Share this update:

Similar Posts