If you are looking for work in Canada in 2022, you will need to obtain a Canada work permit. The process can be daunting, but this article will provide you with all the information you need to know about the Canada work permit process. We will discuss who needs a permit to work in Canada, what the requirements are, and how to apply. We will also cover eligibility and where to apply.
So whether you are a citizen of another country looking for opportunities in Canada or if you are already living in Canada and want to switch careers, keep reading for everything you need to know about the Canada work permit process!
In this article
- What is a Canada Work Permit?
- Types of work permits in Canada
- Who can obtain a work permit in Canada?
- Work Permit allows you to work in Canada
- Eligibility for a Work Permit
- Requirements for to obtain Canada Work Permit in 2022
- How to apply for Canada work permit in 2022
- Canada Work Permit vs Canada Work Visa
- Where to Apply for a Work Permit
- How much money can you earn working in Canada in 2022?
- Top Careers in Demand in Canada 2022
What is a Canada Work Permit?
A work permit in Canada is a document that allows you to take up employment in the country. It can be temporary or permanent, depending on your situation and the type of work permit you obtain. There are different types of work permits available, so it’s important to determine which one is suits your needs. Learn more about the permit to work in Canada.
Types of work permits in Canada
There are three types of work permits in Canada, and IRCC will continue to issue these permits in 2022 and beyond:
- Temporary Work Permit: You need temporary work permit if you want to work in Canada for a specific job or employer and it cannot be done through the regular points-based immigration system.
- Permanent Work Permit: This is for people who are already living in Canada and have a valid job offer from a Canadian employer. The visa is good for up to five years, and can be renewed.
- Open Work Permit: This is a temporary work permit that does not require you to have a job offer from a Canadian employer or Labour Market Impact Assessment. It can be valid for up to two years, and can be renewed. Open work permits are usually issued to workers who are in Canada on a temporary basis, such as students, eligible spouse of international students or refugees.
Who can obtain a work permit in Canada?
Citizens of other countries can apply for a Canadian work permit, depending on their situation. In order to obtain a work permit in Canada this year, you must be able to demonstrate that you meet the general eligibility criteria and specific Canada visa requirements for your country.
Work Permit allows you to work in Canada
In order to work in Canada in 2022, you must have a valid work permit. Not all foreign nationals need a work permit to come and work in Canada, however. The following list outlines who is eligible to apply for a Canada work permit:
- Citizens of other countries who are seeking employment in Canada.
- People who are already living in Canada and want to switch careers.
- Spouses of people working or studying in Canada.
- Students who have graduated from a Canadian university or college.
- People who have been offered a job in Canada.
Eligibility for a Work Permit
Not everyone is eligible to apply for a work permit in Canada. In order to be eligible, you must meet the requirements set out by Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Additionally, your job offer must also meet certain criteria. The following list outlines some of the factors that are taken into consideration when determining eligibility for a work permit:
- The skills and experience you have that are relevant to the job you want to do.
- The type of work you will be doing.
- How long you will be working in Canada.
- Your ability to support yourself and your family while in Canada.
- The wage you will be earning.
Requirements for to obtain Canada Work Permit in 2022
There are several requirements that must be met in order for you to be eligible for a Canada work permit. These requirements include, but are not limited to:
- You must have a job offer from a Canadian employer.
- The job you will be working in must meet certain criteria.
- You must prove that you can support yourself and your family while in Canada.
- You must have the appropriate level of education and work experience required to work in Canada.
- You must be in good health and have no criminal record.
- You must be able to communicate in either English or French, better still; both.
How to apply for Canada work permit in 2022
Now that you know who can apply for a work permit in Canada and what the requirements are, let’s take a look at how to go about applying. The process can be different depending on your citizenship and where you live, so it’s important to determine the correct steps to take.
The first step is to find a job offer from a Canadian employer. Once you have an offer, the next step is to apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Service Canada. This assessment will determine whether or not the job can be filled by a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. If it can, then you will not be eligible for a work permit. If the job can’t be filled by a Canadian, then you will need to apply for an LMIA exemption.
Once you have the LMIA, you can then apply for your work permit. You can do this either online or through a visa office. The application process can be lengthy, so it’s important to start well in advance.
Canada Work Permit vs Canada Work Visa
There is a lot of confusion between Canada work permits and Canada work visas, but they are actually quite different. A work permit is an authorization that is given to you by the government to allow you to take up employment in Canada. A visa, on the other hand, is an endorsement that is placed in your passport by a Canadian visa office. It allows you to travel to Canada and apply for a work permit from within the country.
The main difference between the two is that a work permit is issued for a specific job and employer – although some work permits are open (eg: SOWP and PGWP), whereas a visa can be used for any number of jobs. Work permits are also generally valid for a shorter period of time than visas.
Where to Apply for a Work Permit
There are three places where you can apply for a work permit:
- Online, through the IRCC website. I recommend our topic on how to apply for Canada work permit online.
- In person, at a Canadian embassy or consulate. The Visa Application Office (VAC) nearest to you will provide more guide.
- By mail, using the application package from Visa Application Office or IRCC itself. Application through mail is only available in select countries.
How much money can you earn working in Canada in 2022?
The average wage in Canada can vary depending on your position and industry. Generally, however, it is higher than the wages offered in other countries such as Mexico, India, the Philippines and majority of countries in Asia and Africa. In fact, according to the 2021 National Occupational Classification (NOC), the average wage for a professional in Canada is over CAD $60,000.
So, if you’re thinking of working in Canada in 2022, there are plenty of opportunities available to you. The process can be daunting, but with the right information and support it can be easy to navigate. Make sure to do your research, we have provided enough description in this guide.
Top Careers in Demand in Canada 2022
The top five careers in demand in Canada for 2022 are:
#1. Accountants: Accountants are needed in many provinces in Canada and can expect to make an annual salary of about CAD $72,000.
#2. Engineers: There is a high demand for engineers in Canada across all sectors, and they can earn an average annual salary of about CAD $85,000.
#3. Nurses: Nurses are needed in hospitals and clinics all over the country, and can expect to make an annual salary of about CAD $67,000.
#4. IT Professionals: With the growth of technology in Canada, there is a high demand for IT professionals. They can expect to earn an annual salary of about CAD $77,000.
#5. Teachers: Teachers are always in demand in Canada, and can expect to earn an annual salary of about CAD $60,000.
Canada is a great place to work with high wages and many opportunities. The process of getting a work permit in Canada can be daunting, but with the right information it can be easy to navigate. Make sure to do your research, we have provided enough description in this guide.