Canada’s Foreign Income Tax Credit -2019

The 2019 Canada’s Foreign Income Tax Credit is created in order to keep Canadians from been taxed twice. Canadians are taxed on income earned

It can be from employment earnings in another country or a business income or income earned from investment property located outside of Canada. Tax credits are designed to reduce the income tax payable on the money you make. In many cases, you are required to pay taxes in the country where you earned the income.

Federal income tax credits protects you from been taxed twice on money you make outside of Canada, provided that particular country have a tax treaty put in place.

Federal Foreign Income Tax Credit

A Foreign Income Tax Credit is available to any Canadian taxpayer who has Canadian residents status at any time during the tax year. To be able to claim your tax credit, you need to disclose the country where the income was earned as well as your losses and gains.

If more than one country is involved, you are required to submit a separate foreign income tax credit form for each of the country. If you have business income and non-business income from foreign countries, you are required to submit it using separate forms.

The amount of foreign income tax you claim is equal to the lesser of the foreign income or profits tax you paid or the amount of Canadian income tax you would otherwise pay on the foreign income. If a tax treaty with the foreign country exists, you are not eligible for the tax credit.

Tax Treaties

Canada has tax agreements, or treaties, with many foreign countries. The aim of these treaties is to avoid double taxation and to prevent foreign-earned income from been tax evaded.

Tax treaties play an important role in providing criteria for Canada and other foreign countries in the enforcement of any dispute over foreign income. Such treaties set out possible resolutions and define residency and eligibility. They are able to reduce the amount of tax on dividends, interest and royalties.

Tax treaties also cover exemptions for certain people and organizations, and outline taxation of income such as pension, salaries, self-employment and other taxable income.

Canada — U.S. Tax Treaty

Due to the proximity of the two countries, perhaps one of the most common tax treaties of interest for Canadians is the one with the United States. This treaty has been in affect since 1980 and has had five protocols added to it since, the most recent in 2008.

Foreign income tax credits may apply in several key areas of the treaty such as income earned in the United States, self-employment income of a Canadian who owns a U.S.-based business and income earned from U.S. annuities and pensions.

Provincial or Territorial Foreign Tax Credit

Provincial or territorial foreign tax credits may apply to non-business income earned in another country with which a tax treaty exists.

When you are done calculating your federal foreign income tax credit you discover that the foreign income tax you paid on non-business foreign income is more than the federal income tax credit you are allowed to pay, you are allowed to claim a tax credit from the province or territory where you live.

The non-business taxes must add up to more than $200, and you need to fill out separate forms for each foreign country where the income was earned. The application of this tax credit varies for those who live in Manitoba or Québec.

You can also see 2019 guide to tax season in Canada.