Canadian Employers Options For Hiring Foreign Workers

Canadian Employers Options For Hiring Foreign Workers is either on a permanent or temporary basis. Depending on your need, there are several options to choose from. It all begin with a job offer. For instance, if you are a Canadian employer and would like to hire a foreign worker on a permanent basis, first of all the worker will have to obtain a Canadian permanent residence. For your future employee to start work quickly,  there are a number of fast-track options available.

Express Entry

The Express Entry immigration selection system, which came into operation in 2015 made it possible for the process to be simpler and quicker for Canadian employers to hire skilled workers. Canadian employers who are seeking to hire international talent for management, professional or trades positions, and are unable to fill the position locally, are able to hire internationally. Your future employee is issued an invitation to apply for Canadian permanent residence with a qualifying job offer. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC, formerly known as CIC) aims to complete the immigration process within six months once he or she submits an application.

Canadian employers gain the advantage of being able to fill open positions more quickly than previously through Express Entry.

There are three federal economic immigration programs processed through the Express Entry system:

  • Federal Skilled Worker
    If the person you intend to employ has work experience in a skilled occupation, as determined by the National Occupational Classification (NOC) system, and you have not been able to fill an open job position locally, as a Canadian employer, you may be able to hire him or her through Express Entry under the Federal Skilled Worker Class.
  • Canadian Experience Class
    In the past, if you’ve been employing foreign skilled workers on a temporary basis and you wish to offer them full-time employment, they may qualify for Canadian immigration under the Canadian Experience Class.
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program
    This program is for individuals who wish to become permanent residents of Canada based on being qualified in a skilled trade. If you, as a Canadian employer hiring skilled tradespersons, wish to hire internationally having been unable to do so locally, you may be able to hire employees through this program.

Provincial Nominee Programs

Most Canadian provinces and territories have created Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs), specific to their needs, to recruit workers from abroad who intend to settle as permanent residents in a given province or territory. If your business is located in a province or territory that has a PNP stream that aims to attract skilled workers, this may be an important fast-track option for you, your business, and your future employee(s).

However, most semi- or lower-skilled positions are well suited for provincial nomination, as provinces and territories strive to fill labour shortages in particular areas.In order to qualify, Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) may require that you prove that you were unable to fill the positions with Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

Temporary Work Permit

In most instances, hiring foreign workers on a Temporary Work Permit is undoubtedly the fastest option. This may take days or weeks, between the time you make the job offer and the time your workers can be in Canada working for you. Canadian employers can hire internationally either through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program or the International Mobility Program.

You can also see and understand the new rules for post graduate work permits in 2019.