Cape Breton University Scholarships For International Students
Cape Breton University (CBU) is situated in the heart of Cape Breton Island in Sydney, Nova Scotia. CBU is also the academic home of over 1,000 international students representing over 50 countries. In addition, several Cape Breton university scholarships are available to international students studying at CBU.
Every year, more than $1.8 million in funds are put into student scholarships to help make sure international students get the help they need to succeed.
The scholarship and bursary programs offer students an opportunity to apply for money-based scholarships on financial need, academic merit, or other critical criteria set by CBU. The Cape Breton university scholarship guide and additional information for international students are stated below.
If you are an international student interested in attending Cape Breton University, check out the school’s scholarship offerings. You may be able to find a scholarship that can help offset the cost of your education.
Cape Breton University Scholarships For International Students
CBU offers Entrance Scholarships to local and international students based on commitment, hard work, academic achievements, or other specific criteria.
All entering students (Local and international students) who wish to be considered for entrance scholarships/bursaries must submit the following in addition to the other admission application.
Documents to be Submitted For The scholarship
The documents required by students to be submitted for the Cape Breton Scholarship include,
- Official Transcript
- Financial need application
- Completed entrance scholarship application
- The average is usually based on all AC & AD Grade 11 courses and all AC & AD completed Grade 12 courses after the first semester.
- The management will calculate the average of all international students entering the university.
- Have a minimum of 85% with no failures in Grade 11 or 12 courses. The average is calculated after the first semester based on grade 11 and 12 studies.
- ESL conditional offers must attend a CBU English language partner school to have the award honored.
The table below shows the different scholarships awarded by the Cape Breton University
|Name||Entering Average||Total Amount||Yearly Amount|
|W.M. Reid||90%||$11,500||$4K & $2.5K|
The university also offers several In-course scholarships to domestic and international students after concluding their first year at Cape Breton University (minimum of 24 credits).
This scholarship is strictly based on academic grades and provided to students who are not in receipt of a renewable scholarship. Candidates to receive the scholarship/award will be contacted after the Fall/Winter semester to inform them they have received the award.
All scholarships are pro-rated based on the number of credits a student is enrolled in each semester; for example,
The President’s Scholarship = The value of this award is $5,000 per year.
- A student who enrolled in 30 credits will receive the full $5,000,
- A student enrolled in 24 credits will receive $4,000 per year.
Students completing courses during the Spring/Summer semester can request and apply for the scholarship. For example, Students who are eligible for the president’s scholarship by taking 24 credit load courses in the fall/winter term will receive $4,000.
A student who maintains an 80% average over the calendar year and takes six credits in the Spring/Summer term will receive an additional $1,000.
Students must apply on March 4 each year or before the deadline with official transcripts for consideration.
Additionally, there are other scholarship programs available to domestic and international students at Cape Breton University. These scholarships have many sponsors who possess optimal knowledge of the relevance of education. They provide various funding, which range from $500 to $5,000 annually. Examples of these scholarships include;
- Bert & Zita Armishaw Scholarship
- Kevin Hillman Scholarships
- CBUAA Entrance Scholarships
- The Drs. John & Jeanne Eyking Scholarships
- Connor Timmons Entrance Scholarships
- Metros Hockey Association Scholarships
- Rose Nolan Memorial Scholarship
- C.W. MacDonald Memorial Scholarship, among others.
However, scholarship applications just ended on March 1, 2021. Thus, you may need to contact your Academic Advisor to get the latest updates on Cape Breton University scholarships for international students.
Requirements for high school international students who want to procure CBU’s scholarship
If you desire to enter Cape Breton University directly from high school, you are mandated to meet the following conditions;
- All courses in Grade 11 and 12 courses must be passed.
- CBU decides upon the average for international students.
- The average is determined on all AC & AD Grade 11 courses and completed AC & AD Grade 12 courses after the first semester.
- ESL conditional offers must have finished from a Cape Breton University English language partner school to be awarded
Articulation agreements for international and domestic students
Both domestic and international students are eligible for articulation agreements. It serves as an official document between two or more academic institutions.
- You need to be presently registered in their transfer program.
- To become qualified, you are required to meet at least 80% without failures, which is decided upon by Cape Breton University.
- To be awarded, ESL conditional offers must have finished from a Cape Breton University English language partner school.
Cape Breton University Faculties
CBU has four different faculties that administrate all degrees and programs within the unit. This includes;
- CBU School of Arts and Social Sciences (SASS)
- CBU School of Education and Health (SEH)
- CBU School of Science and Technology (SST)
- CBU Shannon School of Business (SSOB)
#1. Cape Breton University’s School of Arts and Social Sciences (SASS)
The programs in CBU’s SASS are centered around each student’s educational needs. Therefore, you can make your choice from SASS part-time, full-time, 3-year, or 4-year degrees and programs.
As an international student in CBU’s SASS, you can benefit from their co-op programs, internships, work placements, and exchanges both within and overseas. In addition, if you wish to gain cognizance of the local community, you can take advantage of CBU’s community-based projects, in-field research, and volunteering works.
Degrees and programs under CBU’s School of Arts and Social Sciences
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Arts Community Studies
- Bachelor of Arts and Science in Environment
With regards to your program’s structure, CBU’s School of Arts and Social Sciences avails diplomas and certificates for its students. Examples of such diplomas and certificates include;
- A Diploma in Public Administration and Management
- Certificates in Theatre Arts, Ethnomusicology, Heritage Studies, Public Administration, and Social Research
#2. Cape Breton University’s School of Science and Technology (SST)
CBU’s SST programs also provide co-op placements to its domestic and international students. It gives you a push when you decide to enter the Canadian labor market. Your career will be aided as you are opportune to acquire extensive training, experience, and adeptness through your program.
Moreover, if you intend to specialize your career in engineering, science, and technology, SST’s degrees and programs help achieve your wish. The courses under CBU’s SST programs will engage you in mathematics, biology, psychology, and chemistry.
Available degrees and programs in CBU’s School of Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Arts & Science in Environment
- Bachelor of Engineering Technology
- Bachelor of Technology Nautical Science
- Bachelor of Engineering Transfer Program (Engineering Diploma)
#3. Cape Breton University’s Shannon School of Business (SSOB)
Cape Breton University avails many business degrees and programs to domestic and international students through SSOB. Also, the local community will encourage you to gain skills from top business managers and entrepreneurs.
When you eventually become an international student at Shannon School of Business, you will be opportune to learn from their skilled practitioners.
CBU’s Shannon School of Business programs and degrees
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
- Bachelor of Emergency Management
- Bachelor of Hospitality and Tourism Management (BHTM)
- Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Business Analytics
- Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Health Care Management
- Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Supply Chain Management
- Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Business Management
- Master of Business Administration in Community Economic Development (MBA-CED)
#4. Cape Breton University’s School of Education and Health (SEH)
CBU’s School of Education and Health collaborates with Cape Breton-Victoria Regional Centre for Education, government departments, and Nova Scotia Health Authority.
As an international student at CBU’s SEH, there are higher opportunities to improve your experience and skills through CBU’s top internships and formal learning.
CBU’s School of Education and Health programs and degrees
- Diploma in Education (Curriculum)
- Diploma in Educational Technology
- Bachelor of Science Nursing
- Bachelor of Health Sciences (Public Health)
- Bachelor of Education
- Bachelor of Science in Human Nutrition (Transfer)
- Master of Education (Educational Technology)
- Master of Education in Sustainability, Creativity, and Innovation
Cape Breton University Application Fees
All admission applicants of CBU are required to pay a fixed fee to apply for one of their degrees or programs. The application fee is non-refundable to Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and international applicants. Hence,
- The application fee for Canadian citizens and permanent residents is 40 Canadian Dollars
- International applicants of Cape Breton University need to pay an application fee of 80 Canadian Dollars.
Also Read: Study at Yale University Scholarships in the USA
Required documents for Cape Breton University’s application
Before considering admission at CBU, you need to obtain some supporting documents. You are allowed to submit these documents in softcopy format. CBU may even ask for the original copy of a particular document or credential.
Here are the lists of documents required in applying for a degree or program admission at Cape Breton University;
- Results of a valid English language proficiency test (such as CELPIP, IELTS, TOEFL, etc.)
Furthermore, you won’t receive returns of any documents submitted to Cape Breton University.
In conclusion, Cape Breton University is the place for you if you are an international student looking for a world-class education at an affordable price. With a variety of scholarships available, there is no reason not to apply. So what are you waiting for? Start your journey today!