There is good news for foreign nationals who want to live in Cyprus. With the Cyprus Residence permit, your journey to obtaining residency in Cyprus is possible.
However, you can get a residency in Cyprus if you are self-employed in a different field of work and have an independent annual income that is enough to provide for your living without having to work.
In this complete guide, we will explore ways of obtaining a residence permit for Cyprus, how to become a Cyprian citizen, the requirements, eligibility, etc. So let’s get started!
In this article
About Cyprus Residence Permit
A Cyprus residence permit allows foreigners to legally reside in Cyprus for at least three months. Before you can get a residence permit, you need to apply for an entry visa, depending on the purpose of your trip. For example, it can be a student or work visa.
However, you must apply for a visa in your country of residence and apply for a residence permit upon arrival in Cyprus.
There are three types of residence permits in Cyprus:
- Cyprus Temporary Residence Permit.
- Permanent residence permit in Cyprus.
- Cyprus immigration permit.
- Cyprus Temporary Residence Permit
Temporary residence permits in Cyprus are usually issued for one of the following reasons:
- For employment purpose
- For study
- For family reunification
Moreover, a residence permit is usually issued for one year and can be renewed annually. Therefore, after living in Cyprus for five consecutive years, you can apply for a permanent residence permit.
While living in Cyprus on a temporary residence permit, your residence permit automatically expires, and you cannot leave the country for more than three months.
However, to apply for a temporary residence permit in Cyprus, the following documents must be submitted:
- Complete and sign an application for a temporary residence permit.
- Proof of accommodation in Cyprus
- Evidence that you have the necessary financial means to support yourself in Cyprus
- Negative diagnosis of tuberculosis, hepatitis B, hepatitis C, HIV/AIDS, and syphilis, issued within the last four months
- Your country of residence issued a certificate of good conduct within the last six months.
- Proof of having health insurance
- A copy of the relevant pages of your passport: personal information, expiry/issue date, previous visas.
- Bank guarantee.
Additionally, other documents related to why you want to live in Cyprus are:
- Marriage/birth certificate for a family reunion
- Work permit for employment
- Certificate of enrollment in an educational institution for international students.
- Cyprus Permanent Residence Permit
A permanent residence permit in Cyprus gives the owner the same rights as a citizen of Cyprus. This includes:
- Access to total employment and self-employment opportunities.
- Access to free movement within the EU.
- Access to social assistance and social protection.
- Access to tax incentives.
Nevertheless, the Cyprus permanent residence permit is always issued in one of the following cases:
1. If you have lived in Cyprus for more than five years with a temporary residence permit and have not left Cyprus for more than three months. Meanwhile, you must have an unlimited or at least 18-month employment contract.
2. If you want to buy real estate in Cyprus for at least € 300,000. This option is referred to as the “fast track” option. If you apply for permanent residence in Cyprus via the Fast Track option, your application will be processed within two months.
But, certain conditions must be fulfilled, such as:
- You must prove that the property was purchased with funds raised outside Cyprus.
- Annual external income must be at least €30,000.
- You need to deposit 30,000 euros in a bank in Cyprus.
Also, the bank will be frozen for three years before being accessible again. If you have dependents (children under 18 and a spouse), each annual income should be € 5,000. For dependents of you or your spouse, an additional fee of € 8,000 per year is required for each.
Moreover, you can bring dependent children between 18 and 25.
Prove that you are not willing to take paid employment in Cyprus
Most importantly, you must enter Cyprus at least every two years to maintain your permanent resident status.
Cyprus Immigration Permit
You can also get a Cyprus residence permit if you fall into any of the following categories:
- You are self-employed in the fields of agriculture, livestock/aviation culture, and aquaculture in Cyprus. You are acquired by a foreigner in Cyprus who owns land or property, and its activities do not affect the Cyprus economy.
- Any foreigner who intends to carry out self-employment in the mining sector in Cyprus, who has sufficient financial resources and appropriate permits, and whose activities will not affect the Cyprus economy.
- Foreigners who are self-employed in their profession or trade have sufficient financial resources and appropriate permits and whose activities do not affect the Cyprus economy.
- Foreigners who are self-employed in a scientific or professional occupation are required in Cyprus and have the necessary educational or professional qualifications and sufficient financial means.
- Foreigners who are offered permanent employment in Cyprus and whose presence does not create unnecessary local competition.
- Foreigners (e.g., pensioners) with an independent annual income sufficient to live comfortably in Cyprus without having to work.
In addition, you can only obtain an entry permit in one of the above categories if the Immigration Commission recommends that the Secretary of the Interior meet the requirements of any of these groups.
Even if you are abroad, you must apply for a Cyprus immigration permit directly to the Cyprus Citizenship and Immigration Department or through the Police Alien and Immigration Department.
How to become a Cyprus Citizen
Cyprus citizenship may be acquired through naturalization on the following legal grounds:
- on the grounds of residence in Cyprus
- on the grounds of birth in Cyprus
- on the grounds of marriage or civil partnership with a Cyprus citizen
- on the grounds of emigration
- on the grounds of the Republic of Cyprus’s interest
- on the grounds of affiliation with the Cyprus nation
- on the grounds of the reacquisition of Cyprus citizenship.
General Residency Requirements
We have explored all the different pathways available and the specific requirements for each.
Nevertheless, they are also general requirements that must be met no matter the specific residence permit you are applying for.
- You should always submit your passport and its copy. This should be valid.
- You must also have a clear criminal record for the last five years.
- Three photos (ID format).
- Private health insurance if you are not working for a Spanish company.
Generally, to become a Cyprus citizen, you must follow the following steps:
- Get your ancestors’ birth certificate in Cyprus
- Gather all the other documents you will need
- Apply for citizenship through the Embassy of Cyprus
- Get a decision from the ministry of interior
- Request your Cyprus passport.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)
What is the cost of getting Cyprus Citizenship?
If the applicant is granted citizenship, they will be charged an administrative fee of HRK 1,050.00(around 175.00 USD).
Does Cyprus allow dual citizenship?
Yes. Cyprus permits its citizens to hold dual citizenship (Cyprus citizenship and foreign citizenship). However, under article 8 of the law on Cyprus citizenship, naturalization into Cyprus citizenship requires renunciation of the other country’s citizenship allowed by the other country.
Who is eligible for Cyprus citizenship?
Cyprus citizenship can be acquired in the following ways:
- Jus Sanguinis: By descent, if at least one of the parents is a Cyprus citizen.
- Jus soli: By birth in Cyprus (One parent must have Cyprus citizenship) or a child found in Cyprus whose parents are unknown.
What are the benefits of being a Cyprus citizen?
The benefits include:
- You will live and work legally and in the European Union.
- You will visit Australia, Japan, and Canada without a Visa.
- Benefit from free healthcare in Cyprus and free education in Cyprus and the European Union.
How long does it take to obtain a Cyprus residence permit?
Cyprus residence permits are processed in four months for employment and three months for study.
Finally, Cyprus is one of the youngest countries in Europe. However, a residence permit in Cyprus gives a chance to live in a quiet and comfortable place.
We believe you found this article useful and that it will make your journey to obtaining a Cyprus Residence Permit a smooth and easy one.