Are you are searching for the right information about the Danish Embassy in Canada? Or, you want to know the consular services they offer? Then, you may as well grab your seat and follow us on this journey.
Generally speaking, the Danish Embassy in Canada is one of the numerous embassies located in Canada. In addition, it offers different consulate services and helps you with information on such issues as how to obtain your visa and passport, when and how to contact the office, among others. As a result, we have compiled the basic information you need to know about them. Here, we go.
What is an embassy?
An embassy is the main office of a country’s diplomatic mission in another country, called the host country. Besides, it works in conjunction with smaller diplomatic missions located in the major cities of the host country.
Generally, these smaller diplomatic missions are called the consulates. Together, the embassy and the consulates are called the diplomatic or foreign mission.
Further, the functions of a diplomatic mission include:
- representing the home country in the host country
- protecting the interest of the home country and its citizens in the host country within the confines of the law
- negotiating with the government of the host country
- promoting friendly relations between the home country and host country, among numerous duties.
Located in Europe, Denmark is the southernmost of the Scandinavian countries. It can practically be called an island as it consists of 406 islands with only 70 of them fully populated. Equally, the capital city of Denmark is Copenhagen which is also situated on an island.
Moreover, the location of Denmark makes the country a getaway to some Scandinavian countries and the rest of Europe. Berlin, London, Barcelona, Rome, Vienna and Prague are all a few hours away from Denmark.
Additionally, if you consider work-life a top priority, then you should consider Denmark too as it has one of the best work-life in the world. Practically, a working week consists of 37 hours, with flexible working hours for workers.
The people in Denmark, generally, enjoy a happy life and the government offers free and equal rights to all. In addition, it offers benefits such as welfare, healthcare and education for all.
Also, Denmark is the least corrupt country in the world. Popular Danish dishes include traditional Christmas recipes, crispy pork with parsley sauce, and many more. Finally, there is more to Denmark. And so, ensure to pay a visit once in your lifetime.
Embassy of Denmark in Ottawa
47 Clarence Street,
ON K1N 9K1,
Telephone: (+1) (613) 562 1811
Email: [email protected]
Office hours: The embassy is open from Mondays to Thursdays between 09 am and 4 pm, as well as Fridays between 09, am and 3 pm. For personal attendance, please, send an email.
In addition, Denmark operates consulate offices in Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, Iqaluit, Montreal, Regina, Saint John, St. John’s Toronto, Vancouver and Winnipeg.Georgian Embassy in Canada
How to apply for a Danish Passport
Precisely, to apply for a Danish passport, you will need to make an appointment with the Danish Embassy in Canada. Besides, you will need to fill out an application form and submit it together with your supporting documents and passport fee.
Regardless of your age, you will have to submit the passport application form in person at Danish Embassy or Consulate in Canada.
Equally important, ensure you are a Danish citizen before you apply for your Danish passport. Therefore, you must have a CPR number. If not, you will have to provide proof of your nationality by supplying the necessary documents.
At the embassy or consulate, your digital photograph and fingerprint, together with your signature will be collected. As an adult, your passport is valid for 10 years. You will also provide the following:
- Previous passport (if you are to renew your passport and it must not exceed two years since it expired)
- Passport application form
- Original birth certificate
- Certificate of Danish Nationality if you have one
- Any further document asked by the Danish mission in Canada.
As a reminder, the passport fee is currently DKK 995. Also, the fee is payable upon application at the embassy.
Consequently, for children of all ages, they can apply for a passport at the Danish Embassy in Canada. However, children above 12 will need to have their fingerprint and digital signature captured.
As a result, both parents and the child(ren) will need to be present when submitting their passport application. Most importantly, passports for children between 0 and 2 are valid for 2 years, while that of children aged 2 – 18 are valid for 5 years. As such, you will need to provide the following for your child(ren):
- Passport application form
- Declaration of consent signed by both parents
- Original birth certificate
- Parents’ passport or photo ID with signature
- Child’s latest passport (if available)
- Child’s certificate of Danish Nationality (if any)
In addition, it takes 3 – 5 weeks for the processing of the passport application before you can pick up your application at the embassy or consulate.
Visa Application at the Danish Embassy in Canada
Invariably, before you proceed, you must note that the Danish Embassy in Ottawa cannot help with visa issues. Even though they store your visa application and passport at the embassy, the processing digitally takes place at the Danish Consulate General in New York City.
In addition, you must understand that the Royal Danish Embassy in Ottawa does not process the Shengen visa application from Canada. Although they store your physical file and passport, the processing takes place at the Danish Consulate General in New York City.
As a result of the above information, the Danish Embassy in Ottawa is limited with information concerning visa application, processing time and accepting applications. In addition, to book appointments, you must go through the VFS Global from Mon to Friday, 8 am to 5 pm. Their contact number is 1 -866-978-5904. Email [email protected]
Below is the tourist visa checklist:
- Visa self-service cover letter
- Receipt for payment
- Original permanent residence card
- Proof of employment
- Hotel reservation
- Proof of sufficient funds for the intended travel
- Proof of travel medical insurance
- Photocopy of valid provincial health card.
How to apply for your tourist visa
Follow the following steps to apply:
- Fill out the application
- Pay the application fee
- Print and sign cover letter
- Supply your biometrics and supporting documents.
Other types of visas include business visas, private visitor visas, etc. For more information, visit here.
Canadian Embassy to Denmark
Located in Copenhagen, the Embassy of Canada to Denmark provides services to Canadians who wish to visit Denmark or those already living in the country. The services they provide include:
- Adoption and surrogacy: Process to adopt a child and internationally and bring them back to Canada.
- Citizenship services: Steps to becoming a Canadian citizen and getting proof of citizenship.
- Marriages abroad: Requirements, documents and processes of getting married abroad.
- Notarial Services: Process of having your documents certified and authenticated.
- Passport services: Steps to applying for a passport and how to renew an expired one.
- Pension and retirement: Information on pensions and retiring outside of Canada.
- Studying abroad: Information on education or research opportunities abroad.
- Visa and immigration services: How to get a study, work or tourist visa to Canada
- Voting abroad: the process of voting for Canadians who live abroad.
Officially, the Consular Section of the Canadian Embassy in Denmark offers just a limited number of notarial services. As such, it does not provide notarial services which the local Danish solicitor or notary public can handle.
Therefore, when you request notarial service by mail, ensure to make available your full name, address, telephone number and service fee. Some of the services which the embassy provides are:
- Making a certified copy of an original Canadian document
- Witnessing a person’s signature on a document, including an oath, affidavit and statutory declaration
- Certifying the signatures of Danish officials’ ‘apostille’ from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Authenticating some of the Canadian documents
- Issuing a statement that confirms that Canada does not provide certificates of no impediment to marriage
- Obtaining a Passport or Travel Document
To apply for a new passport, you will need to do the following:
- Fill out an application form
- Get your supporting documents and passport photos
- Provide a guarantor and 2 references
- Pay your application fee and submit your application
Renewal of Passports
To renew your passport, you must ensure that your current passport has:
- not damaged
- not been reported lost or stolen
- been issued with a five-year or 10-year validity
- the same name, date of birth and place of birth as the new one you want to obtain
- the same gender identifier with the previous one
- not exceeded two years since it expired.
Just like living in Denmark offers you the best of life, the Danish Embassy in Canada is a place you can get the best of information regarding Denmark. Even the Canadian embassy in Copenhagen is always open for your services. Therefore, you can reach out to them today via phone call or email, depending on the services you need.