Are you wondering how to get Ecuador Temporary Residence Permit to enable you to have an extended stay in the country? This blog post features several resourceful pieces of information to guide you all through the process.
Generally speaking, there are many reasons to obtain an Ecuadorian temporary residence visa. Foreign nationals who intend to stay in Ecuador for a long time must apply for this visa. These include those who wish to work, study or live in Ecuador for an extended period. Undoubtedly, Ecuador Temporary Residence Permit offers an easy pathway to becoming a permanent resident.
Requirements for the residency permit include:
- Holding a valid passport.
- Passport-sized photos.
- Proof of health insurance policy.
- Possessing no criminal history.
This blog post will explore various things about Ecuador’s Temporary Residence Permit, including its requirements, fees, processing time, application procedures, and more.
Let’s get started.
What is an Ecuador Temporary Residence Permit?
An Ecuadorian temporary residence permit is a renewable visa that authorizes its holder to stay in the Republic of Ecuador for up to two years. You need this type of visa when entering Ecuador for long-stay, education, employment or retirement purposes.
Ecuadorian temporary residence permit types include Ecuador Work Visa, Ecuador Student Visa, and Ecuador Retirement visa. To maintain your status in Ecuador as a temporary resident, you must not stay outside the country for more than 90 days a year.
Besides, temporary residents of Ecuador are eligible to apply for permanent residency following their third year of staying in the country.
Remember that you can only renew your Ecuadorian temporary residence permit on one occasion.
Reasons to Get an Ecuador Temporary Residence Permit
There are many reasons to obtain a temporary residence permit for the Republic of Ecuador.
Among these are that:-
- An Ecuador Temporary Residence Permit qualifies you for permanent residency after the third year of maintaining your residency status in the country.
- With a valid Ecuadorian temporary residence visa, you can stay in the country for up to two years and enjoy its affordable cost of living and temperate climate.
- Another reason to consider getting Ecuador Temporary Residence Permit is that it allows you to stay in the country for study, employment, and retirement purposes.
- It is not difficult to obtain an Ecuadorian temporary residence permit. Its application process is also speedy.
- The Republic of Ecuador is a politically stable country. Moreover, you will benefit from its easy access to healthcare services.
Who Needs a Visa for Ecuador?
Citizens of many countries can enter the Republic of Ecuador visa-free for a maximum period of three months. This means that some nationals can obtain an Ecuadorian temporary residence permit on arrival without applying for a visa in their home country.
On the contrary, nationals of a few countries need a visa for entry into Ecuador regardless of their duration of stay.
These include citizens of:-
- Sri Lanka
- North Korea
- The Democratic Republic of Congo
Cost of Getting Ecuador Temporary Residence Permit
While applying for an Ecuadorian temporary residence permit, you must complete payments of two different fees, namely:-
- Visa processing fee: $50
- Successful visa application fee: $400 (only applicants who are approved for their visa application need to pay this fee)
Ecuador Temporary Residence Permit Processing Time
The entire process involved in getting an Ecuadorian temporary residence permit takes at least one month. Contrarily, the process can take longer but would not exceed three months.
Ecuador Temporary Resident Visa Requirements
The following is a list of the documents required by Ecuador Temporary Resident Permit applicants.
- A correctly filled out and signed Ecuadorian visa application form
- Your original passport, along with duplicate copies of its pages
- Two passport-sized photographs with white background
- Your recent bank statement, which serves as your proof of funds
- Evidence of paid visa fees
- Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) obtained from your country of origin
- Valid proof of public or private health insurance coverage for the Republic of Ecuador
- Marriage or common-law relationship certificate (required if applicable)
- Divorce decree or death certificate of your deceased spouse (relevant to foreigners whose marriage has ended)
- Birth certificate (if applicable)
- Affidavit of support (required if the application involves dependents child/ren)
- Migratory Movements Certificate (if applicable)
How to Get an Ecuador Temporary Residence Permit
To obtain an Ecuadorian temporary residence visa, you are required to take each of the steps indicated below.
- Put together the required documents
- Get in touch with an Ecuadorian diplomatic mission for a visa appointment
- Fill out the application form for an Ecuadorian visa
- Submit all your supporting documents
- Initiate payment for your application processing fee
- Give time for the Ecuadorian diplomatic mission’s decision
- Pay the other required fee for your Ecuadorian visa and collect your passport
Step 1: Put together the required documents
To get an Ecuadorian temporary residence permit, you must first gather all documents essential for your application processing. A list of the required documents has been initially provided in this blog post.
Step 2: Get in touch with an Ecuadorian diplomatic mission for a visa appointment
The second step in getting Ecuador Temporary Residence Permit involves contacting an Ecuadorian embassy or consulate for a visa appointment. Your appointment should be with the nearest Ecuadorian diplomatic mission.
Step 3: Fill out the application form for an Ecuadorian visa
Next, you are required to complete the Ecuadorian visa application form appropriately. After filling out the form, you must print it to further the application process.
Step 4: Submit all your supporting documents
The fourth step in getting an Ecuador Temporary Residence Permit requires you to submit your supporting documents for consideration. You must submit all documents by yourself at an Ecuadorian embassy or consulate.
Step 5: Initiate payment for your application processing fee
Upon submission of your supporting documents at the Ecuadorian diplomatic mission, the next step is to pay a processing fee of $50.
Step 6: Give time for the Ecuadorian diplomatic mission’s decision
Now, you must anticipate a decision from the Ecuadorian embassy or consulate regarding your temporary residence permit application. This takes between one to three months.
Of course, you’ll receive an email notification when the embassy or consulate decides on your residence permit application.
Step 7: Pay the other required fee for the Ecuadorian visa and collect your passport
Once the embassy or consulate approves your application, you must pay an additional $400. Afterward, you can collect your passport and book your flight to Ecuador.
Validity Period of an Ecuador Temporary Residence Permit
An Ecuadorian temporary residence permit is valid for not more than two years. However, before its expiry, it is allowable for its holders to renew the permit once. Therefore, holders of Ecuador Temporary Residence Permit can stay for another two years upon a successful renewal application.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Who needs to apply for Ecuador Temporary Residence Permit?
Any foreigner who intends to stay in Ecuador for more than 90 days must apply for a temporary residence permit. Foreign workers, tourists, retirees, and international students need a temporary residency permit to stay in the country for up to two years. Getting the permit involves meeting a few requirements, such as a valid passport, proof of fund document, police clearance certificate, and more.
How do I get temporary residency in Ecuador?
To attain temporary residency in the Republic of Ecuador, you must apply through an Ecuadorian diplomatic mission (embassy or consulate) in your country of residence. The diplomatic mission will assist you in starting the application process with ease.
Can you leave Ecuador on a temporary visa?
Yes, it is allowable for Ecuador Temporary Residence Permit holders to leave the country without losing their status as long as their stay wouldn’t exceed 90 days.
What happens if I overstay in Ecuador?
Overstaying your visa in the Republic of Ecuador is a very serious offense that often leads to deportation. To avoid this, you must leave the country on or before your Ecuador visa’s expiry date.
Is it easy to get Ecuador Temporary Residence Permit?
Yes, getting a temporary residence permit for the Republic of Ecuador is easy. The process generally takes less than three months, and applicants must provide a few documents to support their application.
What is the duration of an Ecuador Temporary Residence Permit?
Ecuador Temporary Residence Permit has a duration of two years. This implies that its holders can stay in the country for a maximum period of 24 months and renew it once.
RECOMMENDED LINK: Ecuadorian Embassies and Consulates in the U.S
In summary, an Ecuadorian temporary residence permit creates possibilities for foreigners to live in Ecuador for an extended period. In addition, it offers vast benefits, such as authorizing its holders to live, study and work in the country without restrictions.
Contact our team for swift and reliable guidance and information if you seek answers to your further inquiries.
Thanks for reading!