The Canada diplomatic and official visa was created for diplomats and officials of foreign company to go to Canada on official duties and responsibilities. In the Canadian Temporary Visa category, there is a specific visa that was designed for officials and diplomats of foreign countries.
This article will enlighten you on the relevant details on what this visa is, as well as its requirements.
The Canada Diplomatic and Official Visa was designed by the Canadian Government for diplomats and officials of foreign countries to go to Canada on official duties and responsibilities.
These foreign diplomats and officials must be from a country that requires visas to go to Canada and who have a diplomatic or official passport.
Diplomats or officials from foreign countries do not need this visa to enter Canada if they have an old passport which has a consular, diplomatic, or official Acceptance issued by the Canadian Chief of Protocol for Global Affairs on behalf of the Government of Canada or if they are representatives or officials of an international organization or agencies (e.g united nations) of where Canada is a member.
But, if you are an official or diplomat that is not in these situations mentioned above, you will require a Diplomatic or Official Canada Visa even if you are from any of the countries that needed an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada for other purposes.
With this diplomatic visa, you will be allowed to enter Canada without going through immigration or customs check at the Canadian port of entry.
After you enter Canada, you may only stay for a period of time during your official duties and responsibilities. you can not overstay in Canada or take up studies or employment in Canada. You can not apply for Canadian citizenship nor entitle to social insurance or health benefits.
Requirements for Canada Diplomatic and Official Visa
You have to belong to one of these categories to qualify for a Diplomatic and Official Visa:
- You are a Head of State or a member of an International organization with duties and responsibilities of Heads of State. If you are a Head of State, then your family members are eligible or qualify to accompany you to Canada with Diplomatic Visa;
- You are starting a temporary diplomatic mission in Canada or you are a diplomatic agent travelling to or from your diplomatic mission in Canada;
- You are starting a temporary mission in Canada or you are a career consular officer travelling to or from your consular post;
- You are a representative of an international organization listed in the Temporary Foreign Worker Guidelines which includes representative or delegates attending conferences of these international organization;
- You are a senior official such as a Secretary-General, Assistant Secretary-General or Commissioner of an international organization listed in the Temporary Foreign Worker Guidelines;
- You are a foreign diplomatic courier;
- You are a member of the household or family of a diplomatic agent
If however, you do not meet these requirements, then you will need to apply for either a Courtesy Visa or a different type of Temporary Canada Visa.