Vanguard College of Edmonton is a Theology school based in the province of Alberta. The school exposes students to in-depth teachings on the Christian faith and prepares them for ministerial assignments.
As students enrol to earn certificates, diplomas, or degree certifications, they also benefit from numerous financial aids available at Vanguard College of Edmonton.
Vanguard College of Edmonton was formerly known as the Northwest Bible College and the Canadian Northwest Bible Institute before it retained its current name.
The school has been established in 1946 and has affiliations with the Association for Biblical Higher Education (ABHE), Christian Higher Education Canada, and the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada.
Programs available at Vanguard College are:
- Children and Family Ministry
- Christian Ministry
- Intercultural Ministry (Missions)
- Pastoral Care and Counselling Ministry
- Pastoral Ministry
- Pursue Discipleship Certificate Program
- Worship Arts Ministry
- Youth Ministry
In this article
- Financial Aids available at Vanguard College of Edmonton, Canada
- Church Matching Bursary
- Family/Ministry Support Bursary
- Housing Bursary
- The Out of Province Bursary
- Vanguard College of Edmonton Entrance Scholarship
- Volunteerism Bursary
- Documents Required to Apply for Financial Aid at Vanguard College of Edmonton
- The Alberta Student Aid
- Alberta Athletic Award
- Alberta Citizenship Award
- Alexander Rutherford Scholarship
- Indigenous Careers Award
- General Eligibility Requirements for the Alberta Student Aid
Financial Aids available at Vanguard College of Edmonton, Canada
Vanguard College gives way above $200,000 as financial aid every year. Financial aids at Vanguard College of Edmonton are in the form of entrance scholarships, loans, bursaries, and awards. The financial assistance includes but is not limited to entrance scholarships, regulatory bursaries, and government-provided financial aid.
Most of the scholarships are available to full-time students, that is, those taking a minimum of 10 credits per semester which include three 3-credit courses and an internship or practicum. Students can make applications twice a year for the September and January semesters. A single application will cover all the forms of financial aid available at Vanguard College of Edmonton.
Some of the scholarships, bursaries and awards at Vanguard College of Edmonton are:
Church Matching Bursary
These are bursaries provided by the student’s church. Students who are selected for the Church Matching Bursary will receive up to $500.
Family/Ministry Support Bursary
The Family/Ministry Support Bursary avails students who are in the Christian ministry and those who have family members that are attending or once attended Vanguard College a 10% discount on tuition fees. The categories of students eligible for the bursary are:
- Students who have a sibling, spouse, or dependent attending Vanguard College of Edmonton full-time.
- Students who have been in the Christian ministry for two consecutive years before starting studies at the college. Such students must also plan to return to the ministry after completing their studies.
- Students who have one or both parents as active participants in ministry, whether as a full-time pastor or missionary.
- Students with one or both parents as alumni of Vanguard College of Northwest Bible College. Parents may have taken certificate, diploma or degree courses.
- Students who have been serving at a POOC AB AWT district church for at least 1 year before attending Vanguard College.
The Housing Bursary is for first-year students of Vanguard College of Edmonton who is living in the student housing for that session. Selection for the bursary is based on the number of available slots and students will need to apply early to boost eligibility. Beneficiaries of the Housing Bursary will receive $1500.
The Out of Province Bursary
This bursary is awarded to new students of Vanguard College of Edmonton who live outside Alberta and will need to relocate to Vancouver to begin their studies. Students who are considered eligible will receive $1000.
Vanguard College of Edmonton Entrance Scholarship
The Entrance Scholarship at Vanguard College is valued at $1000 and is available for students who make an average of 75% in five Grade 12 subjects. To benefit from this scholarship, students must have met admission requirements and submitted an application form to study at the college and must have also filled the scholarship and bursary application form for the semester they are entering (fall or winter).
Grade 12 subjects recognized for the scholarship are:
- Language Arts Subjects
- Subjects in Maths or Science
- Subjects in Social Sciences or Fine Arts
Students are to have an average of 75% in at least one of each category and any other 2 subjects.
The Volunteerism Bursary is awarded to students of Vanguard College of Edmonton as recognition of active participation in volunteering tasks. Students to be selected must have actively volunteered in activities such as soccer, child care programs, tutoring, etc., in the immediate past year. Eligible students will receive $500.
Other financial aids at Vanguard College of Edmonton are the Preview Day Bursary and a 20% tuition discount for students who are 55 years of age or older. Students may also apply for repayable non-interest loans from the college.
Documents Required to Apply for Financial Aid at Vanguard College of Edmonton
Students are required to submit the following to be eligible for any financial aid at Vanguard College:
- The scholarship and bursary application form
- Admission application later which must include an interim or final transcript
- Confirmation letter(s) proving the ministerial status of students in their church. This is important if students are interested in the Family/Ministry Support Bursary.
Students of Vanguard College are also exposed to financial aids which are not provided by the school such as the Alberta Student Aid, Saskatchewan Scholarships and bursaries, and other scholarships provided by private bodies.
The Alberta Student Aid
The Provincial Government of Canada constantly makes financial assistance available to residents of Alberta who are undertaking any form of post-secondary education. Students may benefit from the Student Aid Alberta on the basis of excellent academic performance, participation in athletics, volunteering and leadership capability, citizenship, language efficiency, etc. financial assistance from Alberta Student Aid also come in form of scholarship, bursaries, grants, and loans. Some of them are:
Alberta Athletic Award
Students of Vanguard College who display excellent athletic performance can apply for the Alberta Athletic Award which is valued at $1800. Athletic activities recognized for the award are those recognized by the ACAC (Alberta College Athletic Conference) and the AUAA (Alberta University Athletic Association AUAA). Students who are to apply must be in their second term and be enrolled in a minimum of 60% of the total course load for that term.
Alberta Citizenship Award
The Alberta Citizenship Award comprises three different awards which are given to recognize students’ impact and contribution to community service and voluntary programs. The three different award programs are:
- The Premier’s Citizenship Award is a letter of commendation.
- The Alberta Centennial Award. 25 students will receive $2005
- The Queen’s Golden Jubilee Citizenship Medal Award. Eight students will receive $5000 and one medal.
High schools are to provide recipients for any of the awards. Such students must display excellent leadership skills, diligent community service and/or volunteer participation in meaningful activities.
Alexander Rutherford Scholarship
This is very popular amongst all scholarships provided under the Alberta Student Aid. The financial aid, valued at $2,500 is for entrance students and is meant to recognize the commendable academic performance of new post-secondary school students while they were in high school. Students who can apply are Canadian citizens, Canadian Permanent Residents, or protected persons. They must be residents of Alberta or should have a parent and/or common-law spouse who is a resident of Alberta.
When students apply for the Alexander Rutherford Scholarship, they are also automatically considered for the following:
- Ernest and Minnie Mehl Scholarship
- Mildred Rowe Weston Memorial Scholarships
- Rutherford Scholars Award
Indigenous Careers Award
The Indigenous Careers Award is specifically meant for indigenes of the Province of Alberta who are pursuing post-secondary studies whether home or abroad. Full-time students of Vanguard College of Edmonton who are indigenes of First Nations, Metis and Inuit can apply for this award to receive $2000 per academic term and a maximum of $4000 per academic session or year.
When students are applying for this scholarship, they must be able to provide proof of indigenous claim and must also be permanent residents of Canada, and particularly the province of Alberta. This means that a non-resident indigene of Alberta is not eligible for this award.
General Eligibility Requirements for the Alberta Student Aid
Students must meet the following criteria to benefit from any form of financial assistance from the Provincial Government of Alberta:
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or protected person. Students may need to provide relevant documents to prove this.
- Be a resident of Alberta with permanent resident status for the past 12 months or have a parent or common-law partner who has been a resident of Alberta for the past 12 months.
- Must remain a resident of Canada throughout the period for which the financial aid is accountable or should have a parent or common-law partner who will remain a resident of Alberta.
- Must be a student in a post-secondary institution.
Full-time students of Vanguard College of Edmonton can apply for the scholarship with their high school transcript. Students who are selected will receive $2,500.
For further enquires on financial aid at Vanguard College of Edmonton, students may contact:
12140 103 Street NW
Telephone: (780) 452-0808
Email: [email protected]