Are you wondering how to obtain a Finland Student visa to enter the county? This blog post will provide helpful information on its requirements, exemptions, validity period, fees, and more.
The Republic of Finland is a northern European country that shares borders with Russia, Sweden, Norway, and the Gulf of Bothnia. Languages spoken by Finland residents include Finnish, Swedish, Sámi, Karelian, and Finnish Kalo. Besides, Finland has a total area of 338,455 km2, and a population of 5,536,146 as of 2020.
Undoubtedly, Finland is a prosperous country with superb infrastructures and a social welfare system, welcoming locals, and several institutions offering first-rate academic programs. Some of the top universities in Finland include the University of Helsinki, Aalto University, the University of Turku, the University of Oulu, the University of Tampere, and the University of Eastern Finland.
There are so many reasons to enroll in a Finnish educational institution. Continue reading to explore more.
In this article
- Reasons to Study in Finland
- What is a Finland Student Visa?
- Exemptions for Finland Student Visa
- Finland Student Visa Fee
- Finland Student Visa Processing Time
- Eligibility Criteria for Finland Student Visa
- Finland Student Visa Requirements
- How to Get a Finland Student Visa
- Step 1: Receive an acceptance letter from a Finnish educational institution
- Step 2: Complete the application form for Finland Student Visa
- Step 3: Arrange for an appointment with a Finnish diplomatic mission
- Step 4: Visit the diplomatic mission to complete the visa application process
- Step 5: Wait for the Finnish mission’s decision
- Step 6: Travel to Finland and begin study
- Duration of a Finland Student Visa
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Reasons to Study in Finland
Here are some reasons to consider enrolling in a Finland-based educational institution.
- Finland’s unique education system has attracted more than 14,000 international students worldwide.
- There are vast employment opportunities in Finland. Thus, graduates of Finnish educational institutions can quickly get a job. International students enrolled in Finland institutions can work for up to 25 hours every week.
- The healthcare system in the Republic of Finland is exceptional.
- Finnish universities charge lower tuition fees ranging from €6,000 to €19,000. Scholarships are also available to eligible international students.
- Graduates of Finland’s educational institutions have a pathway to becoming permanent residents after four (4) years of graduation.
Immediately after graduation, you will get a post-study visa, which allows you to secure a job within one year.
- The Republic of Finland has several attractions that are visitable in winter and summer. These include Oy Levi Ski Resort, Santa Claus Village, Nuuksio National Park, Senate Square, Sibelius Monument, and the National Museum of Finland.
What is a Finland Student Visa?
A Finnish Student Visa is an official document that authorizes international students to stay in Finland for enrollment in a Finland-based educational institution. The visa is usually valid for the student’s study duration in Finland.
Exemptions for Finland Student Visa
A few categories of persons do not need to apply for a Finland Student Visa and can stay to study in the country for up to three months. After that, however, they have to register as a temporary resident, supposing they need to stay longer.
The following persons have exemptions for a student visa to the Republic of Finland.
- Citizens of countries in the Schengen Area, the EU or EEA Member States
- Nationals of the United States, New Zealand, Australia, San Marino, Monaco, Japan, Andorra, and Vatican City
Finland Student Visa Fee
International students applying for a Finland Student Visa must pay an application fee either online or in person. The fee to be paid depends on whether you opt for a paper or online application for your student visa to Finland, as indicated below.
- Finland Student Visa paper application: €450
- Finland Student Visa online application: €350
Finland Student Visa Processing Time
It takes a Finnish diplomatic mission between one and three months to process student visa applications. However, there can be an extended processing time, supposing your application was incomplete.
Eligibility Criteria for Finland Student Visa
To be eligible for a student visa to Finland, you must meet the following conditions.
- You must have previously applied for admission into a Finland-based university and received an acceptance letter from the institution.
- No country in Schengen Area must have imposed a travel ban on you. Check out the list of countries in Schengen.
- You must not pose any form of threat to Finland residents or the country in general.
- Lastly, you should have no criminal record and be an ex-convict in your country of origin.
Finland Student Visa Requirements
While applying for a student visa, you must submit the following documents to the Finland embassy or consulate in the country where you reside.
- A passport that would be valid all through your period of study in Finland
- One recent passport-sized photograph
- A copy of your passport’s data page
- Proof of enrollment in a Finland university. You can prove this using the letter of acceptance sent to you by the university.
- Valid health insurance that covers all health conditions you may have in Finland while enrolled in a school.
- Evidence of tuition fee payment or proof of fund document such as a bank statement with a minimum of €560 for each month you would be staying in Finland.
- Proof of fully funded or partially funded scholarship (only if you have one)
- Proof of civil status. This is undoubtedly provable with your birth certificate, adoption documents, marriage certificate, divorce decree or certificate, etc.
- Credentials of previous education (if applicable)
How to Get a Finland Student Visa
You can take the following steps in getting a student visa to Finland.
- Receive an acceptance letter from a Finnish educational institution
- Complete the application form for Finland Student Visa
- Arrange for an appointment with a Finnish diplomatic mission
- Visit the diplomatic mission to complete the visa application process
- Wait for the Finnish mission’s decision
- Travel to Finland and begin study
Step 1: Receive an acceptance letter from a Finnish educational institution
The first step in getting a Finnish student visa is to apply for admission into an accredited university in Finland. You will receive a letter of acceptance from the school if considered eligible.
Be sure that apply to a university where you can afford its tuition fees, and meet its requirements.
Step 2: Complete the application form for Finland Student Visa
Next, you must fill out the Finland Student Visa application form via the internet. This requires you to sign up for a user account. Moreover, you must gather all supporting documents and prepare them for submission with the application form.
It is also allowable to complete the visa application form at an embassy or consulate in your country of residence.
Step 3: Arrange for an appointment with a Finnish diplomatic mission
The third of the six steps in getting a Finland student visa involves fixing an appointment with a Finnish embassy or consulate. The most common way to do this is through a telephone call.
Step 4: Visit the diplomatic mission to complete the visa application process
The fourth step in getting a student visa to Finland involves visiting the diplomatic mission for verification, document submission, and application fee payment. It is equally essential to provide your biometrics on your visit to the embassy or consulate.
You must also submit all your supporting documents and pay your visa fee at the embassy or consulate. Additionally, an interview may be required with a consular official.
Step 5: Wait for the Finnish mission’s decision
Afterward, you must be patient with the diplomatic mission to decide on your student visa application to Finland. The processing time may vary but often take a maximum period of three months.
Step 6: Travel to Finland and begin study
Upon your visa application approval, you can pick up your passport at the embassy or consulate. You can then book a flight to Finland and travel for your foreign studies.
Duration of a Finland Student Visa
The validity period of a Finnish student visa is typically two years. However, remember that your visa’s duration will not be up to two years, supposing your academic program won’t last long.
However, you can easily extend your student visa’s duration before its expiry.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can foreigners study in Finland?
Yes, foreigners can study in the Republic of Finland. However, to begin the process, you must apply for a study program in a Finland-based educational institution.
Is it easy to get a student visa for Finland?
Yes, the application process for a Finland Student Visa is relatively easy to understand.
What is a Finland student visa acceptance rate?
The acceptance rate for student visas to Finland is about 93%.
Can I get PR in Finland after my study?
Yes, you obtain Finnish permanent residency after completing your study in the country. However, you must live in Finland for a minimum of four (4) years to be eligible.
Is Finland expensive for international students?
Yes, the cost of living in Finland is a bit expensive for international students, but not as much as in other European countries. For instance, living in Finland’s capital, Helsinki, costs between €900 to €1,000 every month. This covers food, housing, transportation, and more. Therefore, as an international student, you must set aside enough funds to study in Finland.
To sum up, it is a great decision to enroll in a Finnish educational institution as they offer affordable and high-quality programs of study. The visa application process is also hassle-free and straightforward for students.
So, suppose you are thinking about enrolling in a Finnish school or not. In that case, you are genuinely making an unmistakable move for your career.
Thanks for reading, and don’t forget to share your concerns with us by commenting below!