Working in Canada as an international student
Home » Questions, Answers on Working in Canada – Int’l Student

Questions, Answers on Working in Canada – Int’l Student

Working in Canada as an international student is something many look out for. Canada gives international students enrolled full-time in Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs) the opportunity to work part-time during school sessions and full-time during the breaks.

There are many questions you may have regarding work and study in Canada. This article seeks to answer the most prominent ones.

Can I do Work and Study in Canada as a Part-Time Student?

International students enrolled as part-time students in Canada are not allowed to work while studying.

If you started as a full-time student and then dropped some courses later, you must stop working immediately. However, part-time students may be able to work in Canada during their final semester.

How Many Hours Can I Work in Canada as an International Student?

Full-time international students can work up to 20 hours per week in Canada during school.

During the breaks, you may work full-time or take two part-time jobs if you wish. If you obtain Post Graduate Work Permit after your studies, you are also entitled to work full-time in Canada. Working full-time in Canada means working for up to 40 hours per week.

Any student that works more than the hours designated per season is liable to punishment which could be forfeiting of student status. If you forfeit your student status as an international student, you will have to vacate the county since your study permit will no longer be valid.

How Much Can I Earn by Working as an International Student in Canada?

Most international students working part-time in Canada are paid per hour. The average international student earns 8 to 10 Canadian Dollars per hour as a part-time workerCo-op students who work full-time may earn more than that.

How can I get Jobs as an International Student in Canada?

Canadian organizations readily offer part-time jobs to international students willing to take them. As well, most DLIs have a means of providing information on job vacancies to their students.

You can reach out to the student services of your school concerning this. In addition, your school may also offer part-time employment to students. This is known as working on campus.

If you are particular about getting off-campus competitive and in-demand jobs, consider upgrading your resume to adapt to the accepted format in Canada, as employees will demand you to submit it.

You can make use of job-finding apps and tools available on the World Wide Web to search for jobs that are relevant to you.

International students can also utilize their social media platforms to network with Canadian residents and business owners who may have job opportunities for them at any time.


Some programs include when students are supposed to take co-op, practicum, or internship opportunities.

In either instance, students must work for an organization for a stipulated period. In addition, the job description at the organization must be relevant to the programs of such students.

If you are taking any of these programs, you will need to apply (for free) for a co-op work permit.

This is different from the study permit, which permits you to stay in Canada as an international student. With the co-op work permit, you can work full-time during academic terms.

When you apply for a study permit, your acceptance letter, which you must render to the immigration office, contains details on your program’s internship or co-op requirements.

You should also include this critical information when filling out the online application form for a study permit.

It may take up to a couple of months to process the co-op work permit. Therefore, you should apply for the permit six months before your co-op, practicum, or internship commencement.

Can I Continue Work and Study in Canada after my Study Permit has Expired?

If your study permit expires in Canada, you must suspend work and study even if you still need to complete your education. You will have to apply to extend your study permit to be able to continue your studies and work as a student.

You should also not continue work when you are done with your studies. However, if you wish to work for a few more years in Canada or pursue a career, you can apply for the Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP).

This permit allows you to work in Canada for two years after your studies. The period you can work using PGWP depends on the duration of the program you studied.

After you have completed your period, your study period includes extra 90 days to round up your stay in Canada. You can use this period to apply for PGWP.

If you do not take action within 90 days, you must apply for PGWP outside Canada. However, you may be allowed to remain in Canada after 90 days if another kind of permit is already being processed.


You may apply for the Post Graduate Work Permit after your studies. However, not all Designated Learning Institutions in Canada are PGWP-eligible.

This means international students who finish these schools cannot apply for the Post Graduate Work Permit. In addition, some programs may also restrict you from obtaining PGWP after you complete your studies.

The Government of Canada regularly updates its list of Designated Learning Institutions in Canada. It also indicates whether each school is PGWP eligible or not.

There are other conditions you must meet to be eligible for PGWP. The basics are:

  • Studying in a DLI for a minimum of eight months
  • Obtaining an educational certificate as proof of completion of the study.

If you study in Canada for eight months to one year, you will obtain a PGWP valid for a year. However, if the duration of your program is two years or more, your PGWP can remain valid for up to three years.

How Many Times Can I Apply for Post Graduate Work Permit in Canada?

Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada state that graduated international students can only apply for the Post Graduate Work Permit once in their lifetime.

This means you cannot apply for a second time or apply for a renewal or extension of the permit. There is only one exception to this rule: a passport validity issue.

No Canadian permit can extend beyond the validity period of your international passport. For example, suppose you are entitled to a three-year PGWP, but your passport will expire in the next two years. Therefore, you will obtain a PGWP that lasts for two years.

You can extend your PGWP to cover the remaining year after renewing your passport.

If students take another program in Canada after working using the PGWP, they are not eligible for another PGWP.

However, a student may suspend obtaining PGWP until completion of the second program. Therefore, the years spent on taking both programs can increase the validity period of the PGWP.

Nevertheless, no Post Graduate Work Permit is valid for more than three years in Canada.

How can I Continue Working in Canada after Work and Study?

Many students indeed wish to remain in Canada after their studies. This is because Canada offers students with higher chances of employment than many other countries of the world.

Students usually follow what is called the ‘student-to-PR pathway.’ This means they immigrate to Canada as students, using their study permits. Later, they build work experience and then become permanent residents in the country.

Therefore, your dream of becoming a worker or even a permanent resident after studying in Canada is possible if you follow smart procedures.

There are several ways you can apply for pr in Canada, but the easiest is leveraging the work experience you have built while you worked with your PGWP.

Specific immigration pathways under the Express Entry allow persons with at least one year of relevant work experience in Canada to obtain a work permit.

Immediately after you have completed one year of full-time work using your PGWP, you can begin to apply for pr using any of these immigration pathways.

To maximize your chances of obtaining pr using PGWP, you should consider enrolling in programs that will last up to two years to get PGWP that is valid for three years.

You may also take two different one-year programs instead. WorkStudyVisa has dedicated a whole article to how international students can obtain pr in Canada using the 1+1 course program and PGWP.

Reading the content will offer you deeper insight into the process. On the page, you will also find the various immigration pathways you can apply for by leveraging your PGWP.

Share this update:

Similar Posts