Have you ever visited the German Embassy in Canada? Do you have plans to do so but lack the idea of what to expect from them? With the establishment of the German Embassy in Canada, there is a relief for everyone who has needed to obtain passports and visas as well as renew them.
As such, there is no need to comb through the internet, searching for answers. Here, you will find everything you need to know about the German Embassy in Canada, including their contact information and office hours.
In this article
- What is an embassy?
- German Missions in Canada
- Important Information
- Role of German Mission in Canada
- Obtaining information
- Visa, Passport and Consular Services provided by the German Embassy in Ottawa
- How to Obtain Your Passport at the Federal German Office
- Requirements for Issuing of German Passports
- Documents Required for Applying for a German Visa in Canada
- German European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS)
- How can Canadians apply for ETIAS to visit Germany?
- Canadian Embassy in Berlin, Germany
What is an embassy?
Basically, an embassy is a base for the diplomatic mission of a country with its headquarters in the capital city of the host country which offers diverse services for its citizens as well as other citizens of other countries.
German Missions in Canada
Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany, Ottawa
1 Waverley Street
Ottawa, Ontario K2P 0T8
P.O. Box 379, Postal Station “A”
Ottawa, Ontario K1N 8V4
Mon-Thu 8 am to 1 pm and 1:30 pm to 4:00 pm, Fri 8 am to 1:30 pm
Note that aside from the Ottawa Embassy, Germany has eight other representations in Canada. As the case may be, these include consulates in Calgary, Halifax, Montreal, Saskatoon, St. John’s, NL, Toronto, Vancouver and Winnipeg.
Equally important is that the Embassy in Ottawa does not offer consular services. Therefore, if you have any issues relating to the consulate, contact the Consulate General in Toronto.
In addition, the office may be closed during German public holidays, the reason you should contact the office to know opening hours.
Furthermore, for any emergencies that arise after office hours, German citizens can reach the emergency phone of the German Missions in Canada at (+1) 416-953-3817. Good a thing, the line is always open at any time.
You can also contact the number through text message. But you must indicate that it is an emergency. To be precise, anything aside from an emergency, you may not get the information you need.
Role of German Mission in Canada
Known as Germany’s eyes, ears and voice in Canada, the German mission represent Germany, defending its interest and protecting its citizens in the host country which is in Canada. This is according to instructions from the German’s Federal Foreign Office. Besides, the mission negotiates with the government of Canada and strengthens political relations, in addition to economic, cultural and scientific cooperation. Essentially, the mission carries out the following tasks:
- Reporting on issues crucial to the different authorities of the Federation and Lander
- In emergencies, carrying out crisis protection measures on German citizens in Canada
- Helping Germans living in Canada with issues on certificates and legal documents
- Issuing visas to Canadians and other nationals living in Canada who wish to travel to Germany
- Enhancing cultural heritage
- Educating Canada about Germany’s foreign policy, society and culture
- Preparing and escorting high-level visits from Germany.
Visa, Passport and Consular Services provided by the German Embassy in Ottawa
The consular services offered by the German consulate in Ottawa include:
- Issuing of birth, marriage and death certificates
- Administration of the military census
- Issuing of identity cards
- Issuing of travel documents
- Processing of visa and passport
- Legalization of documents.
Additionally, you must contact the office to know which consular services they offer.
How to Obtain Your Passport at the Federal German Office
Firstly, you must be up to 18 to obtain an adult passport. Secondly, the German passport is valid for six years. If you may feel better applying through an Honorary Consul, feel free to do so. But make sure to find out their fee and mode of payment.
For sure, your fingerprint will be taken. Equally important, the processing time lasts between four and six weeks.
Requirements for Issuing of German Passports
The following documents are necessary for you to bring to the embassy for your passport application:
- Complete application form, detailing your personal information
- Your birth certificate
- Marriage, divorced or widowed certificate
- Previous passport
- Valid resident permit in Canada
- Change of name if it did not replicate in your previous passport
- Canadian driver’s license or utility bill stating exactly your address
Scheduling Appointment with the German Embassy in Canada
Generally, you must schedule your appointment with the appropriate German Mission in Canada to be able to apply for your passport.
Documents Required for Applying for a German Visa in Canada
Importantly, you must provide the following documents if you wish to apply for a German visa in Canada:
- A valid passport or travel document
- A valid permanent resident card
- One application form
- One passport format photo
- A cover letter
- Proof of travel arrangements
- Travel Health insurance
- Proof of accommodation in Germany
- Proof of financial subsistence
- Invitation letter.
German European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS)
Technically, this involves an electronic authorization system of the European Union for visa-exempt individuals who are travelling to Europe or the Schengen Area as visitors. However, Ireland is exempted from this scheme because it is a member of the Common Travel Area.
Currently, the German ETIAS is not implemented but it will take place in 2022. When that happens, Canadian and other foreign nationals must have it before they will be allowed to travel to Germany or any other country in the Schengen Area.
By the way, with the ETIAS, you do not need any visa for your short travel to Germany as a Canadian. For that reason, if you wish to obtain an ETIAS, you will need to fill out an online application that takes a few minutes.
Generally, the ETIAS visa waiver will make travel from Canada to Germany much safer for both the visitors and the nationals. This is because you will be screened as an applicant using a diverse security database to identify security risks.
In addition, the ETIAS visa waiver will be valid for three years and will allow you as the holder to spend up to 90 days in Germany. Thus, with the ETIAS, you will not need any visa to travel to Germany as a Canadian citizen.
As a matter of fact, you can only use it for short travel and not to work or study while you are in Germany. Therefore, if you wish to relocate to Germany to find work or to stay for a long period, you must obtain the right visa for your travel from Canada.Armenian Embassy in Canada
How can Canadians apply for ETIAS to visit Germany?
Basically, you will need to fill an online application to be able to qualify for this visa waiver. Also, you will answer a range of questions to enable you to obtain the ETIAS. Thus, you will provide the relevant answer to the following:
- Date of birth
- Travel plans
- Health information
Canadian Embassy in Berlin, Germany
Canada House is a diplomatic and office building of the Canadian Embassy in Berlin, Germany.
Moreover, it is just a two-minute walk from Potsdamer Plat
Address: Leipziger Pl. 17, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Office Hours: Opens 9:00 am on Mondays only
Telephone: +4930 203120
Ambassador: Stephane Dion
In addition, there are three other representations of Canada in Germany aside from the Embassy in Berlin. They include consulates in Dusseldorf, Munich and Stuttgart.
Whether you are traveling to Canada or Germany, either way, we have provided information to enable you access the embassies of the two countries. If there is any questions, feel free to contact the offices and get more clarity. More importantly, the German Embassy in Canada will always provide the information you need as we detailed here.