Guyana Tourist Visa – Application, Requirements and Duration
How long does it take to get a Guyana tourist visa? Is there a minimum age requirement? What documents do I need to apply for a tourist visa in Guyana, and what is involved?
Guyana has always been known as a tropical paradise. The country offers beautiful beaches, lush rainforests, and breathtaking views of the Caribbean Sea.
Tourism has recently become a significant source of revenue for Guyana. This means that visitors from around the globe come to enjoy the country’s natural beauty.
To ensure tourists’ safety, the government requires them to obtain a visa before entering the country. This article loads all the information you need to apply for this visa. To grasp the details, keep reading!
Where is Guyana?
Guyana is a small South American country. It is bounded to the west by Venezuela, east by Brazil, and the north by Suriname. Over 750,000 people live in the country, most of whom are of African descent. Guyana is a diverse country with a rich cultural and historical heritage. Agriculture and mining are the mainstays of the country’s economy.
Guyana Tourist Visa?
A Guyana tourist visa is a document that allows for a brief stay in the country for tourism. The tourist visa is suitable for a maximum of thirty days. You can, however, apply for another 30-day extension before your current visa expires. As a tourist, you can stay in Guyana for up to three months on a single entry. On the other hand, a multiple-entry tourist visa is valid for one year. A tourist visa in Guyana does not allow you to work.
Who Needs a Guyana Tourist Visa?
Nationals of these countries are required to obtain a visa to Guyana for vacation or leisure purposes for stays up to 90 days (unless otherwise stated):
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Brunei Darussalam
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- The central African Republic
- Congo Republic
- DR Congo
- Côte d’Ivoire (Ivory Coast)
- Czech Republic
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- The Gambia
- Marshall Islands
- North Macedonia
- Papua New Guinea
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- Timor-Leste (East Timor)
- Holy See (Vatican)
What are Guyana Visa Requirements?
Guyana tourist visa requirements are straightforward. They are not as challenging to meet as in some other countries, but there are still a few things you will need to have in order before applying. Expect at least the following requirements for a tourist visa:
- A passport, which is valid for at least six months
- Three fully completed Guyana visa application forms
- Two visa photos are required, with the following requirements: -Dimensions: 2” x 2”
- -The background is white.
- -recently captured (on older than three months)
- -You must be looking straight ahead with a neutral expression on your face.
- -You must be able to see your entire face.
- -No headgear is permitted unless worn for religious reasons. Even in this case, the headgear cannot wholly conceal the face.
- -No large or tinted eyeglasses nor thick frames obstruct the face or eyes.
- Evidence of accommodation in Guyana (such as a hotel reservation).
- You must prove that you have the financial resources to fund your trip to Guyana.
- Letter of invitation from a company in Guyana (if applicable)
- A letter of approval from the Ministry of Home Affairs is required for an employment visa. Before you can travel to Guyana, your employer must apply for permission.
- The acceptance letter from the university in Guyana is required for a student visa.
- For business visa: Support letter from your sponsor or the host company/organization.
- Invitation letter from your sponsor or the host company/organization.
- The host company/business organization’s registration and TIN certificate.
- If you are applying by mail, please include a money order or a pre-paid envelope to cover the cost of returning the documents.
How to Apply for a Tourist Visa in Guyana?
A tourist visa is required for foreign nationals who wish to visit Guyana. You must apply for a visa at one of Guyana’s embassies or consulates in your home country:
- Find the nearest Guyana Embassy or Consulate. Inquire with them about their visa application requirements. Their websites usually include contact information.
- Gather the necessary documents. The Embassy/Consulate will provide a detailed list of the requirements.
- Fill out the Guyana visa application form completely.
- Submit the necessary documentation and the application form to the Guyana Embassy/Consulate. Depending on the country, you can submit in person or by mail.
- Pay the visa fee for Guyana.
- Allow for the processing of the visa. This typically takes at least five business days. Then, you may have to go pick up your visa in person, or they may mail it to you.
Each Guyana Embassy or Consulate has its requirements and application procedures. Therefore, this is only a general guide, and when applying for a visa, you should always contact the relevant diplomatic missions.
If you are unable to apply through a Guyana Embassy or Consulate, you may be able to obtain a Guyana visa on arrival. Please see the “Guyana Visa On Arrival” section for more information on who is eligible for the VOA.
How to get a Guyana Tourist Visa on Arrival
You may not need to apply for a short-term visa at a Guyana Embassy or Consulate if you are from certain countries. However, you can begin your application for a visa on arrival here.
Similarly, if you are from another country and cannot access a Guyana Embassy or Consulate abroad, you can obtain a Guyana visa on arrival. The following groups are eligible to apply for a Guyana visa on arrival:
- Foreign workers
- Spouse of a foreign workers
- International students
Required Documents for a Guyana Tourist Visa on Arrival:
- Two passport-sized photographs
- Letter of from your host or sponsor in Guyana
- The name and contact information for your Guyana host or sponsor
- When you extend your Guyana visa, you must pay a fee.
- Evidence that you have sufficient money to cover your stay.
Guyana Tourist Visa Fees
A non-refundable fee of $25 is applicable for all tourist visa applicants. You must pay the tourist visa fee online via the official website of the Guyana Consulate General in your home country.
The embassy where you apply for the Guyana visa will advise you on how to make payment.
Duration of a Guyana Tourist Visa
A tourist visa to Guyana will be issued for 30 days at first. After that, you can apply to extend your tourist visa twice more, each time for another 30 days before it expires. This means you can stay in Guyana for up to three months on a tourist visa.
If you obtain a multiple-entry Guyana tourist visa, it will be valid for one year. Guyana employment and student visas are valid for three years, and you can renew them. Guyana business visas are valid for up to five years.
When you extend your Guyana visa, you must pay a fee.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a visa to visit Guyana?
Yes, you do need a visa to visit Guyana. You can acquire a tourist visa on arrival, but it’s best to get one before travel.
How much does a visa cost in Guyana?
A visa for Guyana costs between $25 and $30.
How long can foreigners stay in Guyana?
Generally, foreigners are permitted to stay in Guyana for up to 90 days without a visa. After that, they can apply for a visa at the nearest Guyanese embassy or consulate if they need to stay longer.
Which country is visa-free for Guyana?
Except for the countries listed on the Guyana Ministry of Foreign Affairs website, citizens of all countries are not required to obtain a visa to enter Guyana.
Visa-free entry and visa-on-arrival are available to Guyanese passport holders in Singapore, Ireland, Russia, Qatar, and South Korea.
Finally, a tourist visa to Guyana is an excellent way to experience everything this beautiful country offers. The procedure is straightforward, and the requirements are not overly demanding. The visa is valid for up to six months, giving you plenty of time to enjoy your visit. So, what are you holding out for? Apply for a tourist visa right away!