How A Caregiver Can Apply For Canadian Permanent Residence?

A caregiver who has been in Canada for two years or more on a temporary work permit can apply for permanent residence. As a caregiver, there are three ways through which you can obtain a work permit based on the type of work you have done.

Caring for Children Program (Pilot)

  • This category includes child caretaker, live-in caregiver and nanny, grouped under NOC 4411.
  • Applicants must have 2 years of full-time work experience in the last four years spent in Canada as a home childcare provider.
  • Applicants must have a Canadian language benchmark of level 5 in English as well as French in speaking, writing, reading and listening.
  • Must have completed a minimum of one-year post-secondary education in Canada or any other foreign country equivalent to Canada.

Note: This pilot program is due to expire in November 2019 and is presently subject to federal government review.

Caring for People with High Medical Needs Program (Pilot)

  • The occupations coming under these categories are:
  • Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses (NOC 3012)
  • Licensed practical nurses (NOC 3233)
  • Orderlies, Nurse aides and patient service associates (NOC 3413)
  • Home support workers and related occupations, The occupation does not include Housekeepers and related ones (NOC 4412)

Note: This pilot program will expire in November 2019 and is presently subject to federal government review.

Live-In Caregiver Program

The application for the Caregiver Program stopped accepting new applications in 2014, but there are still caregivers in Canada under this category.

  • You must have experience of working as a live-in caregiver for two years, Or
  • You must have completed 3900 hours of full-time employment within a span of 22 months.

Note: The work experience must be within the first 4 years of your stay in Canada.

Becoming A Permanent Resident Of Canada As Caregiver

You can apply to become a Canadian permanent resident as a live-in caregiver if you meet the prerequisites.

1) Requirements needed to become a permanent resident

You are eligible to apply for PR in Canada after you have had some work experience as a live-in caregiver:

  • Twenty-Four (24) months of authorized full-time employment, or
  • 3,900 hours of authorized full-time employment. You may complete these hours within a period of Twenty-two (22) months. When calculating your working hours, you can also include about 390 hours of overtime.
  • The work experience must be carried out within four years of your date of arrival.

When calculating your work experience, you cannot include the following:

  • Any period of unemployment
  • Any extended time outside Canada. For instance, if you were outside Canada for longer than the period of vacation time allocated to your employment contract, that period doesn’t count.
  • Any time you work for your employer outside Canada. For instance, time spent on a family vacation does not count.

2) What can affect your application

Your application is maybe affected if:

  • you, your spouse or common-law partner, or any member of your family have a serious medical problem or a criminal record.
  • you did not provide genuine information about training, educational qualifications or experience to the visa officer when you first applied into the Live-In Caregiver Program, your application may be cancelled.

3) What cannot affect your application

Your application is not affected by your marital status, skills upgrading in Canada, financial situation, volunteer work, or the number of family members you have in your country origin.

4) Applying for your family at the same time

You have to include all members of your family in your application for permanent resident status, even if they are not coming to Canada with you. You know that any family member not included in your application cannot be sponsored by you at a later date.

You and your family members can obtain permanent resident status at the same time.

Your family members abroad or in your home country may go through the process of permanent resident status at their closest visa office.

All your family members must first pass criminal and medical screening before you can gain permanent resident status. When you gain your permanent resident status, members of your family will receive immigrant visas from the visa office in their native country.

5) Applying for an open work permit at the same time

If you wish, you may apply for an open work permit at the same time that you apply for PR status. An open work permit enables you to take any job you wish.

6) Leaving Canada on a vacation or permanently

If you leave Canada on a long vacation, you will need to reapply for a temporary resident visa before returning to Canada. Before travelling, you should get in touch with the Call Centre for more information.

If you go away for more than one year or if your work permit has expired, you may have to reapply to the overseas visa office to return to Canada under the Live-in Caregiver Program.