How To Apply Proof Of Citizenship For Children born Outside Of Canada

Canadian parents automatically pass on citizenship to their children, no matter where they are born outside of the Country.

At least one legal or biological parent needs to be Canadian at the time of the baby’s birth. If you can prove your citizenship status to the government of Canada your children will benefit from the advantages that come with being Canadian, and you are exempt from the travel restrictions.

It also effective if you are the child of a Canadian born outside of Canada. In order to obtain citizenship status for you or your child, you have to file for a Proof of Citizenship, which is also often called a Canadian citizenship certificate.

It costs about $75 CAD and can take about five months to process, according to the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)’s website. There may be an option for fast-track processing in urgent cases.

Canadian immigration department provides the forms on its webpage for people to download and complete. If the documents are not in French or English you might need a translation of the documents and the translator will need to provide an affidavit. Translations from family members, friends, or associates are not accepted.

Documents must be clear, easy-to-read, and colored. IRCC will ask for the original birth certificate that shows the name of the Canadian parents. You will also have to prove that at least one parent was a Canadian citizen at the time of birth.

This can include the parent’s citizenship document, birth certificate, or any other evidence to prove the parent’s Canadian status.

If for some reason, the parent’s name is not displayed on the birth certificate, IRCC will accept birth records or other documents confirming the name of the Canadian parent. These could be court orders, pre-birth orders, surrogacy agreements, or hospital records among others.

Adoption orders are not accepted in this case. The Canada’s immigration department could also ask for an explanation as to why the Canadian parent’s name is not written on the applicant’s birth certificate, or why the birth certificate was replaced or changed. If you are not sure, explain why.

Once IRCC receives your completed application they will forward an “acknowledgment of receipt.” If they find your application to be incomplete they will return it back and you may have to fill in the missing elements.

If they accept your application and satisfied with it, then they will send your citizenship certificate and you will have your proof of citizenship. Welcome to Canada!