How To Change Universities Or Programs As An International Student In Canada

There are various reasons to want to change programs or transfer from one university to another as international students. Some students want to save money or to stay close to home, while others because of university entrance requirements.

Still, others are looking for particular sports or smaller class sizes. Whatever reasons students choose, transfer programs can provide unique opportunities for advancement.

For international students, to change universities or programs can be a little bit complicated. Usually, you need to be first accepted into a Canadian educational institution. Once you are given a letter of acceptance, you can apply for a study permit from IRCC.

If you are issued a study permit and studying at a Canadian higher institution, you can change your program, field of study, or university without needing to apply for a new study permit.

Once you are accepted into the program you wish to transfer into, you just need to inform the immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada, if you have changed an institution. You can notify them online through your MyCIC account.

Transferring To Quebec

The only exception to the transfer process in Quebec. The Quebec province has a lot more autonomy than other Canadian provinces. There are three (3) ways of becoming an international student in Quebec.

The first step is to be accepted into a program in one of their institution. Once you are accepted, you then need to apply for a certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) at Immigration Quebec.

Finally, once you have a certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ), you can apply for a study permit from IRCC.

If you have been issued a study permit for a college or university outside of Quebec, and you wish to transfer into a school in Quebec, you will still have to apply for a CAQ. Once you are issued a CAQ, you will not need to apply for a new study permit.

Study Permit Validity

Another thing you should note when transferring programs or schools is your study permit validity period. When you are issued, study permits are normally valid for the same time period as the program you are enrolled in.

But, if the program you want to transfer into is going to take longer than the time your permit is valid for, you should apply for an extension of a study permit.