If you want to extend or renew a work permit in Canada as a worker, you will need to check the expiry date on your work permit and ensure you apply before that date. Complete the Application to Change Conditions or renew your work permit in Canada at least 30 days before your current permit expires.
You must, however, be aware that you can only apply to renew your work permit if your job is extended by your employer or being offered a different Job in Canada.
There are basically two ways in which you can renew a work permit in Canada. You can either apply on paper or apply online (depending one that suit you).
The following guidelines will help with you on how to process your work permit renewal.
1st Option: Online Application
- You will be required to answer the questionnaires (the same way to get a work permit) to know if you are qualified to apply online.
- MyCIC account is needed before you can proceed. If you do not have one yet, you can create an account using a Sign-in Partner (Canadian bank) or GCKey (Government of Canada Credentials). Get a pen and paper. Write down all the important details.
- Once you found out that you are qualified to apply a work permit online and already registered do not forget the paperwork: fill out and scan the forms (and save as PDF) including the other prerequisite (immigration document, passport, job offer letter, contract, LMIA, and etc.)
- You will require a Credit card to complete your application. The credit card is the ONLY way to pay the fee for online application. In case you do not have a credit card, you may ask a friend to help you with his card and immediately pay back.
2nd Option: Paper Application
- Just proceed to application package and Download and fill out the forms.
- The Instruction Guide (IMM 5553) is your manual if you have any question regarding the application.
- The Document Checklist (IMM 5556) will guide you in collecting all the requirements.
- As for the Application to Change Conditions, Remain in Canada or Extend my Stay as a temporary foreign worker (IMM 5710), you may have to VALIDATE it. (Bar code is made as an addition to the form.)
- Submitting the application form for Canadian work permit renewal through the mail has an advantage in paying the fee. You can either pay to your bank or online or wire service using the Fees Receipt (IMM 5401).
So basically, these are the major ways by which you can apply for extension or renewal of work permit in Canada. The processing time for work permit varies. The online application usually takes 117 days to process, while paper application 109 days.