How To Get A Professional Engineering License In Canada

Sometimes you will hear people say in Canada “permission to practice engineering”. This is a regulated profession in Canada. This simply mean that, without the Professional Engineering  License (P.Eng), by law, no one can practice or legally call yourself an Engineer. However, 80% of engineering jobs in Canada do not need a license. Licensing in engineering can only be valid within that jurisdiction, however, there is a mobility agreement among some provinces and territories regarding transfer of licenses. On behalf of their provincial or territorial government, these associations serve and protect the public.

Working in Canada before being licensed

It is only when a licensed engineer takes responsibility for the work will an  applicant be allowed to work as an engineer in Canada. Approving drawings or reports. Non-licensed engineers are allowed to perform other technical work without restriction (i.e. work not considered professional engineering).

While you require an engineering license to become an “engineer” or a “ professional engineer”  license is not required to work in the many different professions within the field of engineering/applied science technology

How to get a Professional Engineering License


Upon the approval of your permanent residence visa, you will have to contact the association of professional engineers in the province you chose to settle. You will be required to provide the following documentation:

Original diploma(s), degree(s), and full transcripts recording course completion and marks.
Full address of educational and professional institutions related in the field of engineering.
Employment and character references.
All documents must be translated in a certified English (French in Québec; a choice of English or French in New Brunswick).


The association reviews your university background and may be required to undertake an exam assign by the association to ensure that academic requirements are met.  Your academic qualifications, primarily the Bachelor level or first degree will also be assessed. Usually, the associations will assign an exam program that is if you don’t have a Bachelor’s degree in engineering from a recognized university in Canada. Examinations are assigned based on the discipline you claim or specialty of intended work. You will also need to take an examination on non-technical subjects (ie engineering economics or management). Examination sittings are held once or twice in a year, depending on the jurisdiction.


Your Previous engineering experience will be evaluated by the association. Evaluation is done based on application of engineering theory, exposure to project management and communications skills. You will need to have three or four years of acceptable engineering experience, depending on the association. Experience obtained outside Canada may be acceptable if you are able to provide sufficient document. A minimum of 12 months of acceptable experience must be in a Canadian environment to be sure that you are familiar with Canadian codes and standards. If you are assigned an examination program, normally, you are required to complete all examinations before the association will begin crediting engineering experience.


Ensure you write and pass the professional practice examination on, ethics, engineering law and liability and professional practice. Usually, you may decide to write it at any time after you have completed the assigned examination program. Once you have successfully met all the requirements for licensure, you will be issued a license by the association to practice engineering in that jurisdiction. Please bear in mind that it may take a long while to obtain licensure in a province or territory of Canada.
Begin your Canadian Visa Application Process Today
Canadian Immigration Specialists (CIS) is committed to ensuring that you obtain the best Canadian visa or immigration service for your requirements. Start your application today by submitting our Initial Consultation Form  to schedule your consultation with one of our immigration attorneys.

After your qualification is assessed, we’ll notify you if you are qualified to apply for Canada Immigration as an Engineer, we open your file and proceed with the processing of your application for the permanent resident visa and/or work permit.

Be rest assured that ICS will not share your personal information with any third party.

You can also see the guide on how to get a super visa.