Getting ECA Report from WES, CES, ICAS, IQAS, MCC, PBEC

Your ECA is the only way to receive points for your foreign education and Express Entry permanent residency.

This article discusses ways to get ECA report from WES, and other authorized bodies. If you are planning to immigrate to Canada there are many requirements you must meet in order to be eligible for Canada immigration. You Education Credential Assessment is one of the requirements you need for Canada immigration.

Your ECA will be very important in any Express Entry application for permanent residence and in assessing your ranking within your candidate pool is your education.

The Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC, formerly Citizenship and Immigration Canada or CIC) which is the body responsible for Immigration in Canada, will like to assess the validity of your foreign degree, diploma, or certificate that you submit to an Educational Credential Assessment, or ECA organization.  

You will need ECA in any program you wish to use for your permanent residence in Canada. The different programs include:

Your ECA is the only way to receive points for your foreign education. This is always a good idea as it boosts your ranking and improves your odds, within your pool of candidates, of being invited to apply for permanent residence.

If you are applying under the FSWP, FST or CEC programs, you must include your ECA results while filling your online Express Entry Profile, this will help to get some points.

Those who who already have either a degree, diploma, or certificate from a Canadian institution do not need an ECA.

What is ECA Certificate Number?

Before we tell you what an ECA certificate number means, you need to know what an ECA means. ECA is the abbreviation for Education Credentials Assessment, this is a documents where your academic record from your home country is contained.

It shows that you have attained an institution equivalent to a Canadian secondary school standard. Without ECA, you cannot study in Canada for your higher education. 

So, ECA certificate number is a number assigned to ECA report by any ECA designated organization body including WES, CES, IQAS, and ICES for immigration purposes.

Key Factors About ECA

Before knowing how to get your ECA report from WES, CES, ICAS, IQAS, MCC and PBEC, you must consider the following factors

  1. Not all ECA report has an ECA certificate number.
  2. ECA certificate number is for Immigration purposes.
  3. ECA certificate number for Canada immigration always ends with suffix IMM
  4. CIC can only access your ECA report for verification using ECA certificate number, not the reference number.

Why ECA certificate number is important

There are many reasons while you need your ECA and one of them is for your Express Entry through CEC or FSW. 

When you receive the ECA report for Canada immigration, it will be generated with the ECA number and date of issue. These are necessary information mandatory for creating an Express Entry profile under FSW. So, ECA certificate number is important because without it,

  • you cannot complete the Express Entry profile (FSW)
  • you will lose points
  • CIC cannot access your ECA report online 
  • verify your details

IRCC-Designated Organizations

IRCC has seven designated organizations that you use for your ECA for Canada immigration purposes. If you are planning to get your ECA report, you must use any of the seven designated organizations.

Your ECA report is valid for only 5 years from the date of issuing. The IRCC designated organizations include:

World Education Services (WES)

The most famous organization designated by IRCC to provide ECA report is WES with their location at:

2 Carlton Street, Suite 1400

Toronto ON M5B 1J3

How to contact WES

If you want to get your ECA report from WES, you will have to contact them in the following ways

  • You can contact WES by phone if you are inside Canada
  • WES do not attend walk-in customers. 
  • You contact them electronically by filling an online form at their website, they do not provide an email. 
Steps To Obtain ECA Report From WES

WES has a 3-step application procedure which include:

  1. Complete the online application form in their official website
  2. Review the document requirements for your country of education.
  3. Download and print an Academic Records Request Form and if necessary a Doctoral Degree Conferral Request Form and send them to your educational institute in order for them to send the transcript directly to WES. You should not send original documents unless specifically requested by WES.

When WES receives your application, they will verify and process your application and send you an electronic ECA report for you to send to IRCC.

You will also receive electronic storage of your report and verified transcripts for future use. Upon payment of delivery fees, you may also receive a paper report. Standard processing times are approximately 20 business days. 

Comparative Education Service (CES)

This is an organization based in Toronto which was designated by IRCC on April 17, 2013 to provide ECA reports. CES have their office at

158 St. George Street, Toronto, Ontario

[email protected]

416 – 978 – 2400

416 – 978 – 6666 Fax

Steps To Obtain ECA Report From CES

There are 3 basic steps that you must follow if you want to use CES to get your ECA report.  

Find your country of education 

The first step is to find your country of education on the link provided by CES and determine what documents are required by CES for your ECA report from the agency in your country of education. For example, if you attained post-secondary level in Nigeria you will need the following documents:

  • Colour photocopies of all previous post-secondary graduation certificates
  • An official English/French translation in the same format as the original. Do not send original graduation certificates.
  • Colour photocopies of all degree certificates, including the cover, and official translations.
  • Colour photocopies of transcripts for all years of study, and official translations.
  • Verification reports for all graduation certificates, degree certificates, and transcripts
  • Also, notary publics in Nigeria are accepted as translators.

Download and fill out the Educational Credential Assessment application form.

The next step is to download and fill the ECA for from CES. You will mail all transcripts, certificates, verification reports directly to CES,they will help you to  prepare the ECA report by the educational  institution in the country where you were educated.

Pay your application fee and receive your ECA report

Include your fee payment with the package and mail the package to CES. CES will process your report and send to you once it is done.

International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS)

The next organization designated by IRCC is International Credential Assessment Service which is based in Guelph, Ontario. The organization has been providing credential assessment services since 1993 with their office located at:

Ontario AgriCentre

100 Stone Road West, Suite 102

Guelph ON N1G 5L3

[email protected] (do not send applications by email they will not be accepted)

519 – 763 – 7282

519 – 763 – 6964 Fax

Steps To Obtain ECA Report From ICAS

There is a 5-step procedure at ICAS for obtaining your ECA report:

Review your documentation requirements

The documents needed for your ECA report by ICAS varies from country to country. For example, an Indian will need the following documents:

  • Higher Secondary Certificate, 
  • Intermediate Certificate, 
  • Pre-University Certificate sent directly to ICAS by the examination board, not by the school itself.
  • Statements of Graduation & Marks Certificates for each year of study for the diploma or degree sent directly to ICAS by the University or Technical Education Board. 
  • Reports sent by colleges will not be accepted.

Complete the ICAS online application form.

After reviewing your document requirements, you will receive a confirmation email which must printed out. There is also a Document Submission Form which lists the documents you must photocopy and send with your application to ICAS.

The documents you must photocopy include: degrees, diplomas, or certificates; translations of each document; copies of abstract of thesis or dissertations if applicable; official change of name document if your name has changed from the one shown on the documents. 

Mail or courier your photocopied documents and Document Submission Form to ICAS in Guelph.

After completing your application form, you will mail it to ICAS for verification and processing. 

Submit the Official Records Request Form to your educational institution. 

You will be required to send a separate form for each qualification and each institution you have attended.  

International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)

IQAS is the Alberta government’s ECA service, it was designated and approved by IRCC in August 2015 and since then has continued to build ECA report for international students in Canada. International Qualifications Assessment Service has their office at

9th floor, 9942 108 Street

Edmonton, AB T5K 2J5


How to contact IQAS

Just like WES, IQAS also prefers phone as a method of contact. You can call between 8:15AM and Noon or 1PM and 4:30PM Alberta time

Phone numbers

  • 780-427-2655 (Edmonton)
  • 310-0000, then 427-2655 (toll-free in Alberta)
  • 1-800-999-3965 (Saskatchewan)
  • 1-866-692-7057 (Northwest Territories)
  • (Country specific prefix)-1-780-427-2655 (International)
Steps To Obtain ECA Report From IQAS

IQAS has a 6-step process to apply for an ECA :

Make sure you’re eligible to apply

  • IQAS only assesses academic credentials, not trades.
  • Doctors should get ECAs through MCC
  • Pharmacists should use PEBC
  • Professionals who are regulated in Alberta will need to undertake an additional step

Get your ECA Checklist

Include the following documentation:

  • photocopies of your completed diploma or degree certificate
  • copy of your photo ID
  • completed IQAS application form
  • academic transcripts sent directly from the degree-granting institution you received your diploma or degree from (unless you are from China, then you will have to contact the China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Center)

Use the IQAS Request of Academic Records form to request the transcripts

Then use the IQS request of Academic Records to request for you transcripts from all your previous education institutions.

Complete the application online and receive your completed application by email

You will have to complete your application by filling and online form and submitting same to IQAS by email

Send the entire package to the address above.

After filling the application with the correct details, then send it to the address of IQAS above. The processing time for your ECA report using IQAS is currently 15 business days but processing times are subject to change.


International Credential Evaluation Service (ICES)

ICES is used by the British Columbia Institute of Technology to build ECA report for international students in Canada. ICES was officially designated in August 2015, and if they built your ECA report before then, you must need to update it. ICES can be contacted at

3700 Willingdon Avenue

Burnaby, British Columbia


[email protected]

ICES does not assess the following:

  • trade qualifications
  • military training
  • second language training
  • professional licenses
  • apprenticeships, work or life experience
  • continuing education courses taken at non-recognized institutions
  • non-credit professional development courses.
Steps To Obtain ECA Report From ICES

To apply for ECA report at ICES, you must follow these steps:

Gather your documents

Have your educational institution send your diploma and transcripts directly to ICES

Requirements for some countries are specific, they may include

  1.  Photocopies of your ID
  2. Photocopies of your academic records
  3. Photocopies of translations of these documents

Complete the application form or the updated form 

You will have to fill the application or update it with the correct information

Print off the application and sign it

After filling the application form with the correct details, you must print it out

Pay the fees

After everything before mailing the application, you must pay your fees

Mail or email the application to ICES 

You either send the application form by mail or email using the address above. 

Medical Council of Canada (MCC)

If you are in the medical field, your ECA report must be issued by Medical Council of Canada. This is the organization that provides ECA reports for Medical Degrees or Diplomas.

After getting your ECA report, you must also satisfy provincial or territorial government requirements including post-graduate training and additional assessments before licensing you as a physician.

Steps To Obtain ECA Report From MCC

The first step is to have your medical degree or diploma source verified which is done by going to to have your medical credentials source verified. To this you must follow the steps below:

  • Open an online account at and submit a Source Verification Request SRV through your account. .
  • Pay your document fee using a Credit Card (Visa or Master Card). 
  • Submit a copy of your medical credentials with the correct cover sheet. Print the cover sheets and attach them to the appropriate medical credentials.
  • Do not send original copies, they will not be returned to you.
  • Send translated copies of the documents as well, unless the documents are in English or French.
  • Use a courier service to send them so you can track the documents. 
  • Send a copy of your final medical degree or diploma along with the translation to
  • You will also have to submit the required identity documents.

The next step is to request for an ECA report your account under Other Services Request.

Once your ECA request is received, MCC will send your ECA to you within 21 business days. You can receive your report either by mail or email by attaching it to [email protected] or by fax to 613 – 248 – 5234 your ECA Courier Service Authorization Form within 2 days of submitting your request for an ECA report.

Pharmacological Examining Board of Canada (PEBC)

Pharmacists who wish to get certified to work in Canada must do that through Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada.

This is an organization designated by IRCC on January 6, 2014 to provide ECA reports for FSWP and CEC applicants under Express Entry.

After getting your ECA report, you will still need to contact the provincial or territorial regulating body to see other requirements  needed for you to be licensed to work as a pharmacist in the province or territory you wish to live and work in.

Steps To Obtain ECA Report From PEBC

The first step is to fill out a Pharmacist Educational Credential Assessment ECA Report Request Form.

You must download and print and complete the report by clearly printing or typewriting in the information.

You must register at Pharmacists Gateway Canada and receive a National Identifying Number. A registration cost of CAD 325 applies.

You must submit a Document Evaluation Application Form along with a CAD$530 fee as well as the following documents:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Statutory Supporting Documents if required
  • University Degree or Diploma Certificate
  • Transcripts
  • Licensing Statement
  • Any additional documentation requested to support the application

If PBEC requests a certified copy of a document, you will need each page of the document stamped and signed by one of the following acceptable witnesses:

  • Notary Public
  • Commissioner of Oaths

Notary Public

For your notary public you will need the following documents:  

  • 2 identical passport photographs per application form which must be taken within the last 12 months. You will staple the first one at the top left corner of each form and place the second one in the box at the bottom right corner of each application form.
  • Then, in the presence of your witness, sign and date the application. The witness will fill in the city, date, and name, as well as their signature and profession/title, then seal, stamp, or sign the photograph in the bottom right hand corner of the application. The stamp, seal, or signature must cover some part of the photo and the application.

This can take up to 8 weeks to be completed. Immediately, your report is out, you will have to send it to your Express Entry online profile.

Required documents for ECA report

For your ECA report, you will provide the information below to receive your document requirements.

  • Equivalency Country 
  • Country or Territory of Education 
  • Status of your EducationSelect study completion…
  • Type of Education 
  • Name of the Institution
  • Enter institution name
  • Enter university/institution name
  • Name of Diploma/Certificate

How to submit ECA report

When you have gotten your ECA report from the organization building it, you have to do the following:

  1. Upload the results of your ECA report to your Express Entry online profile.
  2. Keep all original documents and the original ECA report for your application for Permanent Residence when you are invited for Express Entry pool. 
  3. Keep another copy of your ECA report for your own records and should it be required in the future.
  4. Do not have the assessment agency (CES, ICAS, WES, MCC, or PBEC) send the ECA report directly to IRCC and Express Entry.

Frequently Asked Question About ECA Report

Can you apply for FSP without an ECA Number?
No, you cannot apply for Federal Skilled Program under Express Entry without ECA.
What Is the Difference Between Reference and ECA Certificate Number?
While ECA number ends with the suffix IMM, a Reference number can end with anything.
What to Do if My Eca Report Does Not Have an ECA Number?

You must know that it is not every ECA report that has certificate number. Different organizations use different technical names for ECA certificate numbers such as ref# or file no, but all ECA number ends with IMM and it means that any number that ends with IMM is the certificate number.

If you do not see any number that ends with IMM, then you must report immediately to upgrade your ECA report but it incurs extra charges.