How to get Work and PR in Canada with the 1+1 Year Course

It is relatively easy to get a work permit and permanent residence after completing education in Canada.

You may be wondering why this page addresses how to get work and PR in Canada using the 1+1 year course. Taking a 1+1 year course in Canada means you are studying two different one-year programs.

The program style is a pathway to obtaining pr in Canada because students who complete two years of study in the county are eligible to obtain a Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) for three years.

The validity period of PGWP depends on the duration of study in Canada. Foreign students who study for one year can only get PGWP for one year. Studying for two years grants you a three-year post-graduate work permit.

You may enroll for a program whose study duration is two years or more or you can use the 1+1 year course method.

There are two ways you can deploy the course style:

  • Enrolling for another one year after completing the first one-year program
  • Enroll in two one-year programs at once.

If you are employing the first option, you will have to apply for an extension of your PGWP since you will be given the permit based on the duration of your first program.

You will also need to extend your study permit. By the time you are done with the second program, you will have a PGWP that allows you to work for three years in Canada. Not all institutions allow you to enroll in two programs at once.

It is wise to make findings from the school and confirm if that option is available before you go ahead.

When enrolling for two programs at once, it is advisable that you pick two programs that you can easily combine together.

Some programs are more tasking and time-consuming and you don’t want to be stressed out all day during your one year of study. A lot of immigrants who are now working or residing in Canada were the first international students in the country.

Post Graduate Work Permit in Canada

The government of Canada issues PGWP to international students who have completed a minimum of a one-year full-time certificate, diploma, degree, or post-graduate degree in a Designated Learning Institution in Canada.

The permit allows fresh graduates to get part-time or full-time employment or become self-employed in Canada. Not all DLIs offer PGWPs to students. You should do proper research on this before enrolling in a school.

A Post Graduate Work Permit can remain valid from any period between 8 months and 3 years. the validity period of your permit depends on the length of your program. If you study a course for two years or more, you will get a three-year PGWP.

The PGWP cannot be renewed once it expires. However, you can get a new one or extend the number of years you will work using the permit if you take a new program. The is the trick that the 1+1 course study type employs.

Obtaining PR in Canada using the Post Graduate Work Permit

There are quite a number of pathways to obtain permanent residency in Canada. Some of them are:

  • Express Entry System
  • Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)
  • Family Sponsorship

The Express Entry System is the most commonly used pathway for immigration to Canada and obtaining pr. There are three programs through which you can apply for pr using Express Entry:

Obtaining permanent residence through any of these programs is very much easier when you already have a PGWP.

This is because the PGWP allows you to get Canadian work experience, which is a needed criterion for some of these programs. You only need to choose a PR pathway that favors you.

Thankfully, you don’t need to have a job offer to apply through these pathways. Meaning that you can opt for a better job other than the one you are in with your PGWP once you get the pr.

After working for at least a year using your PGWP, you can begin the process of applying for permanent residency.

Most of the programs, like the CEC require that your work experience is from within a maximum of three years from when you are submitting pr application.

This is fine since you’ve only started working in Canada. In case you don’t start applying for pr early and you discover that your post-graduate work permit will expire before you are granted pr, you can apply for the Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP).

BOWP is a form of work extension for those working in Canada who are awaiting the results of their application for pr.

Application Through Express Entry

Application for pr using Express Entry takes a maximum of 8 months to complete. You should factor this in and begin your application way before your PGWP expires.

If you have only about 6 months left to the expiry of your PGWP and you are applying for pr, you should consider applying for BOWP too.

Understand that there are other factors used to grade applications for pr using the Express Entry System. These include age and educational qualifications. The grading system is known as the Comprehensive Ranking System.

Therefore, your work experience using PGWP only gives you an edge but it does not automatically grant you pr.

With an Express Entry profile, you can also obtain pr through the Provincial Nominee Program if you indicate the likely provinces or territories you wish to work in.

If any of the provinces find your skill or job description needful, they will nominate and notify you of their interest. This automatically adds 600 points to your CRS score.

What if you Want to Work while Studying in Canada?

You may be interested in working why studying so as to be able to support yourself. This is a great idea if your workload will allow for it. All international students studying in a Designated Learning Institution in Canada (DLI) are allowed to work for up to 20 hours per week during the term and full-time during breaks.

Programs that include internships or co-ops automatically require you to obtain a work and study permit. Your work period while still in school will not count in your PGWP.

The major conditions for working as an international student in Canada are:

  • Having a valid study permit
  • Enrolling full-time in a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)
  • Enrolling for a whose with a study time of at least 6 months

You cannot work while studying in Canada if:

  • You are a part-time student or in a school that is not a DLI
  • Your study permit has expired
  • You are taking a general interest program. For example the English as a Second Language or French as second language programs.
  • You are taking a prerequisite course that will lead to the main program you chose
Can you Work in Canada while you are Waiting to Start your Next Program?

You may be wondering if you can work between the period when you’ve completed your program and you are waiting to start the next program. As a rule, your study permit expires once you finish your program. Since it is the study permit that empowers you to work as a student, you are no longer eligible for work and study. However, you may still be able to work within the waiting period if you meet the following requirements:

  • Your previous school and your new school is a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)
  • You have received a confirmation of program completion from your previous school
  • You have applied to a new school (or reapplied to the same school) and have obtained a new Letter of Acceptance
  • From the resumption date indicated in your Acceptance Letter, your new program starts within 150 days from when you received confirmation of completion of your previous program
  • You are registering as a full-time student in your new school
  • The duration of your new program is a minimum of 6 months

If your new program starts for more than 150 days from the day to received confirmation of program completion from your previous school, you may also work. However, you must stop working after 150 days irrespective of when your new program will start.

Are you interested in enrolling for the 1+1 year program in Canada? This article will be very useful for you:

Always remember these few tips:

  • Apply for a full-time program in a Designated Learning institution
  • The institution must be one that provides PGWP
  • Enroll for a two-year program or more or enroll for two different one-year programs to maximize the validity period of the Post Graduate Work Permit
  • Begin application for pr in time.
  • If your PGWP will expire before you obtain the results of your pr application, apply for BOWP.