How To Migrate To The US As An Engineer

How To Migrate To The US As An Engineer. When planning to migrate to the US for a job such as an engineer, there are several different requirements and regulations you have to meet.

Aside from this, there are qualifications, degrees and connections that would very much help you in getting a work visa to migrate to the United States.

Visa Eligibility Criteria for an Engineer

There are several different types of visas you can file in for depending on your educational qualifications, nationality and specific circumstances.

Some visas are self-sponsored, however most of them need to be sponsored by a company in the United States. In other words, you must have a job offer to obtain the visa.

Similarly, some visas are temporary, while some need you to have intent to stay permanently in the US (these are called dual intent visas).

  • The H1-B visa is a Three to Six year work permit for skilled workers who do not wish to remain in the country. Currently, the US has a yearly limit of 65,000 H1-B visas, but there are exceptions for some classes of professional workers and some nationalities.
  • Mexicans and Canadians can apply for a TN visa, which permit them to work in the United States for a limited period of time, while Australians can put in for an E3 visa. Like the H1-B, these are tied to your job.
  • If you wish to become a permanent resident, you have to apply for a Green Card. This permit you to stay in the US regardless of your current employment status.

Educational Requirements for Engineers

Having a Bachelor degree in computer science, or related field, is really going to benefit you with obtaining a US work visa. Some people have also discovered that the easiest pathway for engineers is to start by studying in the US.

There’s a strong liking for engineers with a US degree, particularly at Masters’ level. There are two courses designed specifically to help foreign students on F1 visas.

  • Optional Practical Training (OPT): you can take up temporary employment for up to Twenty-Nine (29) months in work relating to your major field of study.
  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT): you can do up to Twelve (12) months of work prior to concluding your degree as part of your field of study. If you do above Twelve (12) months of CPT, you are not eligible for OPT.

An CPT or OPT can help, but they are not needed. It will extremely help you to intern with an American company while you are in the states.

Engineering Companies in the US

Most companies in the engineering industry are interested in sponsoring visas if they can afford to do that.

A visa can incur companies somewhere around $2,500 to $10,000 in legal and USCIS fees to sponsor. Compared to an engineer’s wages, this may not be a problem for companies — more especially if they have raised some foreign capital.

The hard side to these companies, however, is the number of time it takes to prepare and process a visa. Most obstructions to sponsoring a visa comes down to the time costs, and not anything else. This is particularly true for H-1Bs, which can take a long time to process depending on when you apply.

Employers will look out for great communication and language skills, so ensure you possess a high language proficiency level in English Language.