How to obtain a Canadian Study Permit (6 Steps)
If you want to study at a Canadian educational institution, you must apply for a Canadian study permit. Once issued a Canadian study permit, you will be allowed to study in Canada at an approved institution for the duration of the program. The Canadian study Permit is a document issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that enables a foreign national to study in Canada for a period of time.
Sometimes, you do not need a study permit to go to school in Canada:
- If the program you plan to study is less than 6 months in duration.
- If you are a family member or staff of a foreign representative to Canada.
- If you are a member of a foreign armed force.
To be qualified for study in Canada:
- Candidate must have been given admission by an educational institution in Canada.
- Candidate must prove that he has sufficient fund to pay for his: tuition fees; living expenses.
- Candidate must be known to be a law-abiding citizen with no prior criminal record and or may have to provide a police certificate to that effect.
- Candidate must be in good health and be willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.
- He/she must leave Canada before the expiration of visa or period of stay.
A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) may also be needed if the candidate/student is a citizen of a country from which Temporary Resident Visas are required for entry into Canada. A Temporary Resident Visa may not be required for citizens of visa exempt countries.
Working in Canada as a Student
As a student, It is possible to work in Canada, during your course of study (under any Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s (CIC’s) work programs for students).
A student can work under the following categories:
- On campus without a Work Permit;
- Off campus with a Work Permit;
- In Co-operate and Internship Programs, where work experience is part of the curriculum (but with a Work Permit).
Furthermore, spouses of foreign students are also qualified for a work permit for the duration as the study permit.
After graduation, overseas student may apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. Under this program, the work permit may be issued for the period of the study program, usually up to a maximum of three years.
Easiest Ways To Get The Canada Study Permit. To get your Canada study permit easily, follow the steps below to be properly guided. The study permit enables one to be able to study in Canada but before that you must apply for a student visa so as to be able to live in Canada and this begins when you have received your admission letter from any university in Canada.
Steps taken To Get The Study Permit
1 The first step you have to follow to get your study permit is that you must first get your documents ready and this documents include: your confirmation of medical examination,acceptance letter, language test proof, tuition fee proof, guaranteed investment certificate proof etc. If you have these document set, then apply online with a fee of CAD 150.
2. The second step to follow is checking your eligibility criteria which involves you showing your financial status to cover all your expenses while in the country, medical examination proof, criminal record check, proof to show that you will return to your country after completing the program, an explanation letter stating the reason to pursue the particular program you have selected.
3. Having set your documents aside and checking your eligibility, then you have to apply online by.,
- creating an account on the Canadian government’s website
- Provide your background details and program admitted into.
- Check for email messages which will come with your password and login details
- Upload all necessary documents upon your login
- Pay your visa fee
- Submit your application
- Track your application
4. The fourth step is to wait patiently while your application is been processed. The time for the processing cannot be stated as some factors can hinder it though it takes about 5 weeks for the processing to take place.
5. The first step is for you to get your Guaranteed Investment Certificate and this document is submitted to enable you get you study permit
6. The sixth step is getting your medical examination certificate which enables the Canadian government ascertain that you are very strong health wise and can cope during your stay in the country. The medical test will be conducted a month after your application has been submitted and your results will be sent to the embassy