How to Renounce Canadian Permanent Residency Status

While immigrating to Canada permanently is a dream come through for many, thousands of Canadian permanent residents have continued to voluntarily renounce their Canadian permanent residency status.

There are many reasons for this sudden renunciation of status, each reason peculiar to each individual. You may have retired and desire to have your latter days spent in your home country, or you may have gotten employment in a new country, or you may simply be fed up with the Canadian weather and have become very homesick.

Well, if you still wish to give up your residency status, the process can be very easy and straightforward. However, there is the possibility that the processing time can be long, especially if certain requirements are not met.

Likely Reasons for Renouncing Permanent Residency

With the reasons already mentioned above inclusive, these are the likely reasons why you or any other person may want to renounce Canadian Permanent Residency Status.

  • Your aim is only to visit Canada
  • You don’t wish to live in Canada permanently
  • You want to apply for Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
  • You want to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa
  • You wish to become a citizen of another country and you’re required to renounce your Canadian residency status to achieve that
  • You want to take up a position with a foreign government

Eligibility Requirements For Renouncing Your Canadian Permanent Residency Status

If you have thought it over and have decided to apply to voluntarily renounce your Canadian permanent residency status, you will have to review the eligibility requirements to know if you qualify. To be eligible to apply to renounce or cancel your Canadian Permanent Residency status you must:

  • be a permanent resident of Canada;
  • be a citizen or a permanent resident of another country;
  • be at least 18 years or older (if you are under 18 years you will be represented by a legal guardian);
  • have valid legal permanent resident status or citizenship in another country.

Individuals who wish to renounce their residency but are below the age of 18 will either be represented by a legal guardian or the guardian(s) will give written consent to the renouncing of permanent residency status.

How To Renounce Your Canadian Permanent Residency Status

If you have thought it over and have decided to renounce your Canadian permanent residency status, You will have to review the eligibility requirements to know if you qualify. Below are the ways to begin the application process.

Step 1: Providing all Required Documents

If you have met all eligibility requirements, you can start the application process right away. The CIC website has provided a Document Checklist to guide you on all the documents that are required of you. If any of the documents are missing, or the print is not clear, your application may not be processed.

Asides from the general documents expected from all applicants, there are some special cases that will require you to submit some other specific documents. These cases have been highlighted below.

If you’ve had a Change of Name

These are the additional documents you will have to submit if you have changed your name from what it was when you were granted permanent residency:

  • A copy of the change of document you were issued.

If you changed your name due to marriage, divorce, or adoption. You will submit a copy of:

  • The document that shows both names
  • A copy of the document issued when you officially changed the name.

Some documents you can use as evidence of change of name are:

If you are Under the Age of 18

If you wish to renounce your Canadian Permanent Residency Status while you are still below the Canadian legal age of 18, alongside other documents, you will need to provide a clear photocopy of your birth certificate showing your name, date and place of birth, and the names of your parents or adoptive parents.

If the names of both of your parents do not appear on the birth certificate, then you will also have to provide:

  • A civil registry document
  • A baptismal certificate
  • A school transcript or a national ID card that shows the name of both parents.

If you have been adopted o you are under any other legal guardianship, you will be required to submit a copy of the adoption order or documents to show the legal guardianship.

If you or any other child applying to renounce PR is under the custody of only one parent, the parent will provide the following:

  • A birth certificate that showcases that the father is not known
  • A court order granting sole custody of the child
  • A death certificate on the other parent

In a situation where the court has given the other parent who is not the sole custodian of the child a right to also partake of decisions made for the child, the signature of both parents will be required.

Step 2: Filling out the Application

With all necessary documents provided, the next step is to fill the application form. After you have filled all forms, please make at least one photocopy which you can keep for your personal referencing purpose. After filling the form, don’t forget to sign it. If you are below the age of 18, your parents or guardians are required to sign the document.

There are a few mistakes and oversights that can prolong your application process, or even result in you spending more money. Common mistakes people make while apply to renounce Canadian PR status are:

  • Not filling the application form completely or comprehensively. This includes skipping some questions or living some boxes unchecked.
  • Not providing all documents that have been stated as necessary for the application process to be complete.

Make sure you complete all sections when filling the form. You can only skip a particular section if it does not apply to you. You can indicate that by writing “Not Applicable” or “NA” in the space provided.

If the space provided for a section will not be enough to provide your answers, print out another copy of that page, and continue from where you stopped on the first page. Make sure you submit all copies you filled in the application.

An application guideline for renouncing Permanent Residency Status has been made available on the government of Canada website. Go through this and follow it strictly to avoid making mistakes that may delay your application process.

Step 3: Pay the Required Fees

Applying to renounce your permanent residency status is free in Canada. But if you are also applying for any other document such as a TRV (Temporary Resident Visa) or an eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization) alongside the application, you will pay the fees required to process those documents.

Step 4: Submit your Application

After carefully filling your application, send it alongside all documentations to these address (if you are living in Canada):

Renunciation of Permanent Resident Status

Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Operational Support Centre

365 Laurier Avenue West Ground Floor Mailroom, South Tower

Ottawa, Ontario

K1A 1L1

If you live outside Canada, mail your application with all the documents to the Canadian visa office for the country where you are residing. (If you don’t have legal status in that country, such as citizenship or legal residence, you cannot submit the application from there. You can only submit from a country you are legally recognized.)

What Happens After You Renounce Your Permanent Residency Status?

Your application and the documents you submitted will be reviewed after which it will be decided if you meet the requirements to renounce your Canadian PR. Immediately your application has been approved, you will receive a report which confirms that.

Consequences of Renouncing your Canadian Permanent Residency Status

Although you may have genuine reasons for renouncing your Canadian Permanent Residency Status, there are notable consequences or disadvantages that come with renouncing the status. Some of them are:

  • You become a Temporary Resident

If you are still living in Canada at the time your permanent residency was revoked, you will automatically become a temporary resident. This means you have just six months left to spend in Canada as the Temporary Resident status remains valid for just 6 months. You may however renew your temporary resident status with a fee of C$100 if you wish to stay in Canada longer.

  • You Lose Access to Vital Programs Provided by the Government

By renouncing your permanent residency status, you are immediately cut off from all of the government’s provisions for residents and citizens such as health insurance, and access to free education for your children.

  • You cease to become a Sponsor

After you have renounced your PR in Canada, you will no longer be able to act as a sponsor for other family members or friends who wish to obtain their permanent residency in Canada. If you had one of such processes already ongoing, revoking your residency status will automatically put it to a stop and render all previous processes, including payment of fees or interviews useless.


FAQs About How to Renounce Your Canadian Permanent Residency Status

Q. Do I need to Renounce my Permanent Residency to become a Canadian Citizen

Ans: No. the processes involved in becoming a Canadian citizen do not require you to renounce your Permanent Residency Status.

Q. What Happens if I Renounce my Canadian Permanent Residency Status?

Ans. If you renounce your Canadian Permanent Residency Status, you will no longer be a resident of Canada. You will also not be able to apply for Canadian citizenship.

Q. Can I withdraw my application to Renounce my Permanent Residency?

Ans. While your application is still in the waiting period, you can have a rethink and have the application to renounce permanent residency withdrawn.

Q. If I Renounce my Canadian Permanent Residency, Can I Apply Again?

Ans. So long as you meet the requirements, you can apply for Canadian PR in the nearest future, whether you have once renounced it or not.

Q. Can the Canadian Government Revoke my Permanent Residency Status?

Ans. Yes, the Canadian Government can revoke your Permanent Residency Status if you have been found to violate any of the rules involved in living and maintaining your status as a resident in Canada.