How To Sponsor Your Partner For Canadian Permanent Residence

Canada aims to expedite up to 6,000 spousal sponsorship applications each month until the end of 2020.

Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) made these major announcements in late-Sept, as it detailed how it plans to bring loved ones together as quickly as it can amidst the COVID-19 pandemic.

Prior to the COVID-19, Canada was targeting the arrival of some 70,000 newcomers per year under its spousal, partners, and children’s family class immigration category.

However, Canada recently announced its new 2021-2023 Immigration Levels Plan that will see newcomer levels rise significantly. As a result, Canada will now aim to welcome some 80,000 newcomers per year under the spousal, partner, and children category.

Most of these new immigrants will come under spousal sponsorship.

Are you eligible to sponsor your partner for Canadian immigration?

Both Canadian citizens and permanent residents can sponsor their spouses to obtain Canadian permanent residence.

The sponsor and the person they are sponsoring must be able to prove to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that their relationship falls in one of these three (3) categories:

  • Spouse
  • Common-law partner
  • Conjugal partner

Canadians and permanent residents are qualified to sponsor a loved one if they are at least eighteen (18) years old, prove they are not receiving social support for a reason other than a disability, and can show they are able to financially provide for the basic needs of their partner.

If you are a Canadian citizen staying abroad, you also need to prove you plan to settle in Canada with the person you intend to sponsor.

Eligibility requirement to sponsor your partners

The person you are sponsoring needs to meet the following eligibility criteria:

  • Spouse: They must be legally married to you and at least eighteen (18) years old.
  • Common-law partner: They must be at least eighteen (18) years old and have lived with you for at least twelve (12) straight months.
  • Conjugal partner: They must be at least eighteen (18) years old, have been in a relationship with you for at least one year, settle outside of Canada, and cannot live with you in their country or marry you due to significant legal or immigration causes. For instance, they reside in a country where divorce or same-sex marriage is not allowed. You need to show to the immigration ministry you could not live together or get married in your partner’s country.

How to submit a sponsorship application

IRCC asks you to lodge two applications together. One is for sponsorship and the other is a Canadian permanent residence application.

Step 1: Get an application package from IRCC.

Step 2: Pay your application fees to IRCC which always include processing fees, biometrics fee, and right of permanent residence fee. You need to pay these application fees on IRCC’s website.

Step 3: Mail your completed application to IRCC.

IRCC’s processing standard is twelve (12) months.