How To Sponsor Your Spouse To Immigrate To Quebec Province

A Canadian citizen or permanent resident may sponsor their spouse who wishes to immigrate to Quebec province.

Since the Quebec government has additional powers with respect to immigration to the province, it also has another step in the application process.

This means that those who want to immigrate to Quebec province must go through a process that first requires the submitting of an application at the federal level, with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), and then at the provincial level, with the Quebec Immigration Ministry.

The first step when you decide to sponsor your spouse for Canadian immigration is to complete a sponsorship and permanent residence application with Canada.

This will involve sending the completed forms, supporting documents, and required processing fees to IRCC for processing. In addition, you will have to include the sponsored person’s application for Canadian permanent residence along with supporting documents and the required processing fees.

Once your application is considered eligible by IRCC, you will need to submit an application for an undertaking with the MIFI. The undertaking is a contract that binds you as a sponsor to your spouse and the Quebec government. You will have to download the specific kit from the MIFI website and complete the forms, attach necessary supporting documents, and the required fees.

If your application is accepted and approved by the MIFI it will be forwarded directly to the immigration department that is processing the application for permanent residence for your spouse.

The spouse will have to meet the health, criminality, and security requirements for IRCC to granted Canadian permanent residence.

Once in Quebec, your spouse can benefit from the many services offered by MIFI and will have access to those offered by organizations that welcome and facilitate the integration of new permanent residents.

Based on published processing times, it takes approximately twelve (12) months for the IRCC to process spousal sponsorship applications, including a two month waiting period during which the sponsorship application goes through a review.

What you need to know

Anyone wishing to sponsor their spouse to immigrate to Quebec province must first ensure that they are qualified. In particular, they must be Canadian citizens, or permanent residents over the age of eighteen (18).

You will have to prove to IRCC and the MIFI that you have sufficient financial resources to support yourself, the person you are sponsoring, and any dependent children. There is no threshold for the sponsorship of a spouse as there are for the sponsorship of a parent, a grandparent, a dependent, etc.

To prove that you intend to live or return to Quebec province and have the financial resources to do so, you can, for instance:

  • provide a bank attestation or statement indicating that you have sufficient funds to support yourself;
  • indicate in a letter of explanation the plans you and your spouse have put into motion in getting a job quickly when he or she arrives.
  • information on your educational certificates and experience, with particular reference to the current job offer in Quebec province.

Now, Even if you meet all of the above criteria and conditions, there are still several factors that may prevent you from sponsoring your spouse.

If for instance, you have committed, let’s say a violent crime, you cannot be a sponsor. If you are still financially responsible for a former spouse and you are still bound by your three-year undertaking, or if you have declared bankruptcy or insolvency and have not been discharged that will also affect your chances of sponsoring your spouse.

While these factors may play a major role in your ability to sponsor your spouse to come to Quebec, there are also conditions that your partner will have to meet, such as being over eighteen (18) years of age and passing background, criminal security, and medical checks.

Finally, note that all forms used by the Quebec government are delivered in French only, so arrange for help to fill them out if you are not fluent in the French language.

Check Also

Canada’s Parents And Grandparents

Benefits of Canada’s Parents and Grandparents Program

Canada’s Parents and Grandparents Program intake window is now open between October 13 and November …