As you are looking to immigrate to Canada as an air conditioning mechanic, you will be expected to demonstrate practical experience and extensive paper work.
Research shows that Canadian immigration is not biased towards any region. So you can apply to immigrate to Canada as an air conditioning mechanic from anywhere in the world.
With your occupation as an air conditioning mechanic then you are currently in demand by employers in Canada.
Therefore, in order to immigrate to Canada, you must check to know if you meet the requirements for these programs.
More so, you must also meet the requirements to work in Canada. Before you can immigrate to Canada as an air conditioning mechanic, you must meet certain requirements like language proficiency, age, etc.
If however, you cannot meet these requirements, you won’t be able to immigrate to Canada.
Table of Contents
- What does an air conditioning mechanic do?
- Requirements to immigrate to Canada as an air conditioning mechanic
- Pathways to immigrate to Canada as an air conditioning mechanic
- Steps to immigrate to Canada as an air conditioning mechanic
What does an air conditioning mechanic do?
Heating, refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics install, maintain, repair and overhaul residential central air conditioning systems, commercial and industrial refrigeration and air conditioning systems and combined heating, ventilation and cooling systems.
Furthermore, professionals in this field estimate materials, labour cost and determining requirements for installing, fabricating, start up testing of HVAC equipment.
Heating, refrigeration and air conditioning installation contractors, various industrial settings, food wholesalers, engineering firms and retail and servicing establishments, employ them. Transport refrigeration mechanics are included in this unit group.
The National Occupational Classification (NOC) code for Air conditioning mechanic is 7313.
Main duties of air conditioning mechanic in Canada
Air conditioning technicians perform various functions to see to it that air conditioning systems and related equipment and facilities work effectively and efficiently.
Furthermore, the task, duties and responsibilities that they carry out for various organizations may differ because of the peculiar nature of operation in different companies.
However, their job descriptions commonly consist of the following duties and responsibilities.
- Read and interpret blueprints, drawings or other specifications
- Measure and lay out reference points for installation
- Assemble and install refrigeration or air conditioning components such as motors, controls, gauges, valves, circulating pumps, condensers, humidifiers, evaporators and compressors using hand and power tools
- Measure and cut piping, and connect piping using welding and brazing equipment
- Install, troubleshoot and overhaul entire heating, ventilation, air handling, refrigeration and air conditioning systems
- Start up system and test for leaks using testing devices
- Recharge system with refrigerant, check and test regulators, calibrate system and perform routine maintenance or servicing
- Repair and replace parts and components for entire refrigeration, air conditioning, ventilation or heat pump systems
- May install, maintain and repair equipment in refrigerated trucks used to transport food or medical supplies
- May prepare work estimates for clients.
- Assist supervisor in planning new installation and modification project, preparation of specification and major reconditioning and overhauling project, applying knowledge of refrigerating systems engineering specifications and blueprints.
- Order for replacement of equipment parts as required, perform repairs as ordered and keep record of servicing equipment.
Careers under air conditioning mechanic
Indeed, you can immigrate to Canada as an air conditioning mechanic and work under any of the job titles below. They include:
- Air conditioning and heating mechanic
- Apprentice refrigeration and air conditioning mechanic
- Central air conditioner installer
- Commercial air conditioning mechanic
- Heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) mechanic
- Hydronic technician
- Journeyman/woman refrigeration and air conditioning mechanic
- Refrigeration and air conditioning mechanic
- Transport refrigeration technician etc.
Works excluded from air conditioning mechanic in Canada
You cannot do the following jobs as an air conditioning mechanic. Therefore, you cannot use them to immigrate to Canada as an air conditioning mechanic. They include:
- Domestic refrigerator or window air conditioner servicers and repairers- NOC code 7332
- Supervisors of refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics- NOC code 7301
Employment requirements to work in Canada as an air conditioning mechanic
As a foreigner, before you can be employed to work as an air conditioning mechanic in Canada, you need to meet the basic employment requirements from your country of origin.
- Must have graduated from high school and completed a training course or a vocational program.
- Need to have completed a 3 to 5-year apprenticeship program
As an alternative, it is important to possess 5+ years of work experience and industry courses in refrigeration and air conditioning repair to be eligible for trade certification.
Foreigners often need to meet this particular requirement before they can obtain a trade certification in Canada.
- Obtaining a trade certification for refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics is compulsory in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta.
- Trade certification for transport refrigeration mechanics is available, but voluntary, in New Brunswick and Alberta.
- Red Seal endorsement is also available to qualified refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.
- The Red Seal endorsement allows for interprovincial mobility.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
Requirements to immigrate to Canada as an air conditioning mechanic
In order to immigrate to Canada as an air conditioning mechanic, it is very important you meet both the general and specific requirements.
General requirements to immigrate to Canada as an air conditioning mechanic
Indeed, the general requirements are mainly for foreigners who wish to work in Canada. These requirements includes:
- Language requirements
- Age requirements
- Education requirements
- Arranged employment
- Work experience
- Your partner’s ability
- Proof of financial fund
In order to immigrate to Canada as an air condition mechanic, you must meet the language requirements for workers in Canada. The official language in Canada are English and French language.
Therefore, you must provide a language proficiency result such as IELTS, TOEFL, CAEL, PTE, CELPIP among others.
You must meet the minimum working age in Canada before you can immigrate to Canada. Therefore, you must be between 18 and 35 years to immigrate to Canada as an air conditioning mechanic.
Generally, before you can immigrate to Canada as a worker, you must have completed your secondary school. However, for some positions, you must have university or college education. In addition, you may still need on the job training.
With arranged employment, you can easily immigrate to Canada. This is because if you are able to get a job offer from a Canadian employer, it means that you have all the requirements to work in Canada.
Your adaptability in Canada also helps you to get more points in the comprehensive ranking system. Therefore, you must provide a medical report showing proof of your adaptability to Canadian weather as well as the working conditions in Canada.
If you are able to prove that you have previous working experience, you are in luck!
However, if you have enough work experience in Canada, it will be of great help for you. It is usually an advantage when you have an experience in the job.
Therefore, having enough work experience increases your score in the Comprehensive Ranking System. As it is expected of you to put all your work experience in the process of your application.
Your partner’s skills
If your partner has any special qualities like skills, age, experience, you can include them in your application. This is because it will earn you extra points in the comprehensive ranking system.
Proof of financial fund
In order to prove that you can take care of your living expenses in Canada, you show proof of financial funds.
These funds must be able to cater for your needs in Canada for at least one year. In this situation, you must have at least CAD $10,000 as a proof of financial funds in your bank account.
Specific requirements/certifications to work in Canada as an air conditioning mechanic
In Canada, plumbers who want to work in particular provinces and territories need to fulfill some requirements, which include:
Procuring a trade certification
On one hand, this requirement is necessary if you intend to work in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta.
On the other hand, you have the freedom to choice whether to get a trade certification or not to work in New Brunswick and Alberta.
Red Seal endorsement:
This requirement is attainable by taking the interprovincial Red Seal examination.
Pathways to immigrate to Canada as an air conditioning mechanic
In order to immigrate to Canada as an air conditioning mechanic, you can use any of the programs below.
However, before choosing a program, make sure that you meet the minimum requirements for the job. They include:
- Express entry
- Provincial Nominee Programs
- Job offer
With the express entry, you can choose any program that suits your qualifications. This means that before you can use any program, you must meet the requirements for the program. Therefore, you can use any of these programs under the express entry system. They include:
Provincial Nominee Program
You can use the provincial nominee program. However, in order to use this program you must decide to live in the province.
In addition to that, you must meet the working conditions of the province as well as the minimum requirements for the program.
A job offer is like having an employment already in Canada. Therefore, you can decide to use it to immigrate to Canada as an air conditioning mechanic
However, before arranging for employment in Canada, you must know the requirements for the job. In addition to that, your employer must also have a clearance from the LMIA.Immigrate to Canada as a Social Worker
Steps to immigrate to Canada as an air conditioning mechanic
As a worker who wants to immigrate to Canada as an air conditioning mechanic, you can follow the steps.
Step 1: Open an express entry account
First of all, you need create an express entry profile. The importance of this profile is to be able to get updates from the IRCC.
In addition, the details you use will be used to process your application. Therefore, you must use the correct information while creating this account.
Step 2: Choose a program
The next step is to create a program. This is a very important step because the program you choose determines your success. The programs under the express entry system include::
- Canada Experience Class
- Federal skilled trade program
- Federal skilled worker program
- Provincial Nominee programs
- Quebec Experience Class
- Quebec skilled worker program
Step 3: Find a job in Canada
The third step is to find a job in Canada. If you have the opportunity, find a job from a Canadian employer.
Even though this is not compulsory, it only increases your scores in the comprehensive ranking system.
Step 4: Receive an invitation to apply
Another step is receive an invitation to apply from the IRCC. However, only candidates with the highest CRS points will receive this invitation.
Therefore, you must include all the necessary documents that will help you to score more points in the comprehensive ranking system.
Step 5: Submit your application with supporting documents
The fifth step is to submit your application and the supporting documents while submitting your application.
Most importantly, if you do not submit your documents or fail to pay your application fee, you will not get your application.
Step 6: Get your work permit
Another step is to get your work permit. However, you will get this only when you arrive in Canada.
Therefore, once you receive the message that your application has been processed, you can begin to prepare to move to Canada.
Step 7: Welcome to Canada
Finally, you can enter Canada and start working. You must also remember to collect your work permit.
However, if your permit is not ready when you arrive in Canada, you will book an appointment with the immigration officer in charge.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the average salary of an air conditioning mechanic in Canada?
The average air conditioning mechanic salary in Canada is $59,972 per year or $30.75 per hour.
Do I need a job offer to immigrate to Canada as an air conditioning mechanic?
No, it is not compulsory you have a job offer before you can immigrate to Canada as an air conditioning mechanic.
In conclusion, if you want to immigrate to Canada as an air conditioning mechanic you must follow the guidelines above as it will help you to avoid unnecessary mistakes.