The wonders, creativity, and beauty that artisans add to Canada have prompted the Canadian government to accept creative minds all over the world to immigrate to Canada as an artisan or craftsperson.
Undoubtedly, the designs made by artisans have improved the beauty and outlook of offices, companies, houses, and even on the street. They make ornamental objects, as well as create designs on stone and wooden surfaces to beautify Canada.
Artisans are successful in Canada. However, you will have to get a better understanding of who artisans or craftspersons are, their main duties and job prospects in Canada, as well as the pathways and requirements to immigrate to Canada as an artisan or craftsperson.
In this article
- Who is an artisan or craftsperson?
- Main duties of an artisan or Craftsperson
- Examples of job prospects of an Artisan or Craftsperson
- Requirements work in Canada as an artisan or craftsperson
- Requirements to immigrate to Canada as an Artisan or Craftsperson
- General requirements to immigrate to Canada as an Artisan or Craftsperson
- # Work experience
- # Age requirement
- # Education requirements
- # Adaptability
- Specific requirements to immigrate to Canada as an Artisan or Craftsperson
- Pathways to immigrate to Canada as an Artisan or Craftsperson
- #1. Through Express entry
- #2. Through provincial nomination
- #3. Which job offer
- Steps to immigrate to Canada as an artisan or craftsperson
- Frequently asked questions
Who is an artisan or craftsperson?
No doubt, an artisan or craftsperson is an individual who use artistic skills and manual skills to design and make pottery, ornamental objects, jewelry, stained glass, blanket, rugs, other artistic floral arrangements, and handicraft.
Oftentimes, most artisans are self-employed, but employees are usually employed in floral departments, florist shops, or department of retail establishments.
Assuredly, makers of musical instruments are included in this group. Likewise, craft instructors, and are employed by colleges, artisan guilds, recreational organizations, and private studios.
Importantly, foreigners cannot undertake any occupation that does not have a Canadian NOC code. However, the good news is that artisans or craftsperson is part of the Canadian NOC list and is assigned the code 5244. Thus, you can immigrate to Canada as an artisan or craftsperson
Main duties of an artisan or Craftsperson
Definitely, you should get acquainted with the responsibilities or duties that you will be tasked with when you immigrate to Canada as an artisan or craftsperson. However, the duties you will carry out under the NOC code 5244 are grouped into carvers, glassblowers, potters, stained glass artists, instrument makers, weavers, craft instructors, and artistic floral arrangers.
- Carvers use hand tools, as well as woodworking machines to produce carvings from stone and wood. Also, they use other materials to carve ornamental designs into wooden furniture and other objects.
- Glassblowers create and design glass objects using artisan’s hand tools and equipment as well as blowpipes
Metal art workers
- Not only does metal art workers design metal jewelry but also implements, utensils, wall hangings, and other objects, creating them from silver, gold, copper, pewter, and other metals
- Potters design ornamental earthenware. Also, they design ceramic functional earthenware pieces and create them using molds, clay, portal wheels, kilns, glazing materials, and other equipment.
Stained glass artists
- Stained glass artists design stained glass windows. Likewise, they create designs on lampshades and other objects, basically by painting, cutting, firing, and assembling pieces of stained glass to create such products.
- Instrument makers construct instruments by applying the knowledge of ebonite, wood, metal properties, and other instruments and material design using power tools and hands.
- Not only does weavers use hands, but also loom to interlace strips of flexible materials such as cotton, wool, grasses, silk, rawhide, and bark to make wreaths, baskets, clothing, wall hangings, blankets, rugs, and other objects.
- Craft instructors prepare craft-making lessons, demonstrate and teach crafting techniques, and gather the required working materials
Artistic floral arrangers
- Artistic floral arrangers design bouquets. Also, they create an artistic design on sprays, corsages, wreaths, and other floral arrangements. Likewise, they select artificial and natural flowers, decorative accessories, and foliage to create an arrangement or other items to suit customers requirements
Examples of job prospects of an Artisan or Craftsperson
Note that artisans and craftspersons are employed under many positions and job titles in Canada. Therefore,you will be employed under any of these positions or titles when you immigrate to Canada as an artisan or craftsperson
- Aboriginal art carver
- Aboriginal craftwork instructor
- Artificial flower presser
- Bouquet designer- Artistic
- Artistic floral arranger
- Floral bouquet designer- Artistic
- Artistic floral designer
- Arts and crafts teacher (except education)
- Bag maker – arts and crafts
- Balalaika maker
- Basket weaver
- Batik artisan
- Bellows maker
- Canoe builder – arts and crafts
- Canoe repairer – arts and crafts
- Cello maker
- Ceramic artist
- Ceramics teacher (except education)
- Copperplate engraver – artisan
- Craft instructor (except education)
- Craft weaver
- Custom furniture caner
- Decorative engraver
- Drum maker – artisan
- Enameller – arts and crafts
- Enamellist – arts and crafts
- Fabric artisan
- Fabric artist
- Floral arrangements designer
- Floral designer
- Glass engraver
Requirements work in Canada as an artisan or craftsperson
Oh yes, you can work and immigrate to Canada as an artisan or craftsperson. However, the Canadian government has set working requirements for foreigners to work in Canada. Here are the requirements you must meet to work and Immigrate to Canada as an artisan or craftsperson
- Basically, the least educational qualification you must have is a secondary school or high school diploma.
- You must be between the Canadian workable age, which is between 18-45.
- You must meet the experience requirements to work in Canada. Definitely, you must have had a minimum work experience that is equivalent to one year, either full-time or part-time.
Surely, if you are under this category, you are excluded, and you can’t Immigrate to Canada as an artisan or craftsperson under the NOC code 5244. However, you can get the NOC code of the excluded job titles.
- Cabinetmakers (See 7272 Cabinetmakers)
- Fabric making occupations in manufacturing (See 9442 Weavers, knitters, and other fabric making occupations)
- Jewelers, likewise jewelry and watch repairers and related occupations (See 6344 Jewellers, jewelry and watch repairers and related occupations)
- Also, painters, sculptors, and other visual artists (See 5136 Painters, sculptors, and other visual artists)
Requirements to immigrate to Canada as an Artisan or Craftsperson
Surely, there are requirements to immigrate to Canada as an artisan or craftsperson. Note that, not only are there general requirements for your Immigration, but also specific requirements you need to meet
General requirements to immigrate to Canada as an Artisan or Craftsperson
For you to immigrate to Canada as an artisan or craftsperson, you must certainly take note of these general requirements. However, these requirements fall under the category of work experience, age requirements, education requirement, and adaptability, to immigrate to Canada as an artisan or craftsperson
# Work experience
To immigrate to Canada as an artisan or craftsperson, you must have had prior working experience as an artisan. But ensure that your prior work experience is equivalent to a year of either full-time or part-time.
# Age requirement
You need to be of the Canadian working age to immigrate to Canada as an artisan or craftsperson. Hence, you must not be less than 18 years of age, or older than 45 before you apply.
# Education requirements
As stated earlier, the minimum educational qualification you must have before you will be allowed to immigrate to Canada as an artisan or craftsperson is secondary education. But with a degree certificate, you will have a high chance to Immigrate to Canada.
You need a medical fitness proof to Immigrate to Canada as an artisan or craftsperson. Come to think of it, the weather and climate conditions in your location might differ from Canada. So, you need medical proof that you are healthy enough to adjust to a change of environment.
Specific requirements to immigrate to Canada as an Artisan or Craftsperson
Having explained the general requirements to immigrate to Canada as an artisan or craftsperson, we will proceed with the specific requirements you will have to meet
- You will need apprenticeship proof from a master craftsperson
- Not only creative ability are required, but also talent as demonstrated by a portfolio of work, and knowledge of handling materials, equipment, and tools.
- In some organizations, you will need a college diploma in fine craft techniques.
Pathways to immigrate to Canada as an Artisan or Craftsperson
The Canadian government has made provision for the pathways to immigrate to Canada as an artisan or craftsperson. And they are;
- Through express entry
- Through Provincial nomination
- With Job offer
#1. Through Express entry
Assuredly, Express entry is the most common immigration pathway for artisans. Owing to the fact that it offers artisans and craftspersons opportunities to choose the best program. Thus, the programs you can choose from include: Canada experience class, the Federal skilled worker program, and the Federal skilled trades program.
Certainly, you can know your CRS score when you calculate the score points you earn from your work experience, age, language, partner’s ability, and lots more.
#2. Through provincial nomination
Definitely, you can immigrate to Canada through a province nominee program. With province nominee programs, you can choose a province in Canada that will wish to work and live. Afterwards, you apply for a nomination, and if you’re lucky to get selected, beautiful! you just earned 600 point scores out of the 1,200 score points you will deal with.
#3. Which job offer
With a job offer, you can immigrate to Canada as an artisan or craftsperson. However, your CRS score points will be improved when you render a proof of employment letter.
Steps to immigrate to Canada as an artisan or craftsperson
Once you have known the duties, job prospects, and requirements to immigrate to Canada as an artisan or craftsperson, we will be discussing the steps to immigrate to Canada in this section. Follow succinctly!
Step 1: Create an Express Entry profile
Firstly, create an Express Entry profile. You should select from the programs that have been listed earlier. I.e Canadian experience class, federal skilled worker program, provincial nominee, or federal skilled trades program.
Step 2: Get a job in Canada
As it has been stated earlier, with a job offer, you can immigrate to Canada as an artisan or craftsperson.Therefore, you can send applications to different florist shops, floral departments, or any other companies in Canada.
Step 3: Invitation to apply
Note that, you will only be invited to apply if your application is successful. However, make sure that your documents are ready by this time of your application
Step 4: Submit documents
You’re almost there! Submit all supporting documents and pay an application fee of $150.
Frequently asked questions
What are the salaries of artisans or craftspersons?
Averagely, the salary of an artisan is $35,100 per year or $18 per hour.
What are some examples of an artisans?
Certainly, examples of artisans include sculptors, Carpenters, Potters, Goldsmith, painters
What are the types of artisans?
Majorly, there are four types of artisans and they include Artisan Promoter (ESTP), Artisan Crafter (ISTP), Artisan Performer (ESFP), and Artisan Composer (ISFP).
Immigrating to Canada as an artisan or Craftsperson is quite rewarding in Canada. However, you have to meet the necessary immigration requirements and steps for you to have a successful immigration.