Your dream of immigrating to Canada as a Camera platemaker can come true if you know the requirements and steps to follow.
However, before I tell you that, it is good that you know the reasons to immigrate to Canada in the first place.
Canada has a lot of opportunities for foreigners who have decided to live and work in Canada. This means that as a foreigner in Canada that you have equal opportunities with Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
Secondly, in Canada, you will get paid for what you do. That is, there is no discrimination. Therefore, as a foreign worker especially if you you are qualified, you get the promotions due to you.
In addition to that, the culture and weather in Canada is not too bad. Therefore, you can easily adapt to them. However, you must present a medical report showing that that you can adapt.
Therefore, as a camera platemaker, you can enjoy all these benefits. You will not only learn about the requirements and steps to immigrate to Canada as a camera platemaker. In addition to that, you will also learn the duties as well as examples of jobs under camera platemaker in Canada.
Lastly, you will learn about the best immigration plans to travel to Canada as a camera platemaker. Therefore, this will be a complete guide for you to immigrate to Canada as a camera platemaker.
Table of Contents
- What a camera platemaker does in Canada
- Examples of works under camera platemaker and other prepress occupations
- Main duties of a camera platemaker in Canada
- Employment requirements to immigrate to Canada as a camera platemaker
- Pathways to immigrate to Canada as a camera platemaker
- Steps to immigrate to Canada as a camera platemaker
- Frequently Asked Questions
What a camera platemaker does in Canada
With the NOC code 9472, Camera and platemaking workers operate graphic arts cameras and scanners. They also assemble film and negatives and prepare, engrave and etch printing plates or cylinders for various types of printing presses.
In addition to that, prepress technicians operate various computer controlled systems to perform prepress activities.
When looking for employment as a camera platemaker or prepress technician, you can go to firms that specialize in colour graphics or platemaking and cylinder preparation.
Apart from that, commercial publishing and printing companies, newspapers, magazines can also offer you employment.
Additionally, as a camera platemaker, you can find employment in the public and private sectors that have in-house printing departments.
Examples of works under camera platemaker and other prepress occupations
Generally, there are many jobs included in the camera platemaker category in Canada. Therefore, if you can do any of them, you can immigrate to Canada as a camera platemaker. They include:
- alignment examiner
- assistant newspaper make-up man/woman
- automated letterer
- bright type processor
- camera operator
- camera operator
- carbon tissue cylinder preparer
- clamper – camera and platemaking
- colour correction scanning machine operator
- colour edition preparer
- computer-assisted letterer
- colour printer-technician
- colour scanner operator
- copper photoengraver
- colour separation camera operator
- colour separation camera operator
- copper engraver – camera and platemaking
- colour separation electronic scanning machine operator
- colour separation operator
- cylinder preparer
- colour-editing terminal operator – printing
- contact printer
- colour separation assistant
- copperplate photoengraver
- cylinder painter
- cylinder-impresser operator
- digital printing technician
- dot etcher
- dot etcher
- electronic engraver
- electronic prepress technician
- file preparation operator
- film assembler
- electroplating tank tender
- electrostatic camera operator
- electrotyper and platemaker
- engraver, printing cylinders
- film stripper and layout specialist
- film stripper specialist
- etching corrector
- film sizer
- film stripper
- flexible-plate hand engraver
- flexographic mounter
- film stripper-assembler
- film stripper-assembler
- flexible plate engraver
- graphic arts camera operator
- flexible printing plate mounter
- flexographic printing cylinder assembler
- gravure printer
- halftone camera operator
- image processing operator
- image reproduction machine operator
- lineup examiner
- image setter operator
- image-processing system operator
- laser beam colour scanner operator
- lithographic plate preparer
- lithographic platemaker
- monochrome plate film stripper
- negative merger
- negative spotter
- offset plate preparer
- offset platemaker
- opticopy machine operator
- offset printing plate preparer
- opticopy keypunch operator
- opticopy offline programmer
- pantograph setter
Other examples of jobs for camera platemaker and other prepress occupations include:
- paper-plate maker
- photoengraving etcher
- opticopy program tape preparer
- photoengraving finisher
- photoengraving platemaker
- plate processor
- plate processor operator
- plate-graining machine tender
- photoengraving retoucher
- photogravure camera operator
- photopolymer platemaker
- picture engraver
- plate finisher
- plate grainer
- prepress technician
- preprint-coating machine tender
- platemaking etcher
- pre-flight operator
- print roller repairer
- print transferrer
- printing plate moulder
- printing plate presensitizer tender
- process camera operator
- roller engraver
- rotogravure cylinder technician
- rotogravure press technician
- scanner operator
- printing cylinder engraver
- printing plate engraver
- silkscreen assembler
- stencil preparer
- step and repeat camera operator
- stripper-image assembler
- stripper-layout specialist
- studio-image-processing system operator
- template engraver
Exclusions from camera platemakers and other prepress occupations
Although there are many in the camera platemaker category, certain jobs related to that still do not fall. Therefore, the following jobs are excluded:
- Desktop publishing operators
- Graphic arts technicians
- Graphic designers and illustrators
- Photographic and film processors
- Supervisors, printing and related occupations
Main duties of a camera platemaker in Canada
Basically, the major duties of a camera platemaker is to operate graphic arts cameras and scanners. They also assemble film and negatives and prepare, engrave and etch printing plates or cylinders for various types of printing presses. In addition to that, prepress technicians operate various computer controlled systems to perform prepress activities. However, they can perform the duties below. Therefore, you can immigrate to Canada as a camera platemaker if you perform any of the duties below:
- Graphic arts camera operators set up and adjust black and white or colour separation process cameras to convert graphic art and photographs into film for assembly and exposure onto printing plates or cylinders.
- Cylinder preparers grind and polish press cylinders; expose and lay down carbon tissue; and etch or engrave cylinders using hand tools, etching machines, photogravure or laser processes to produce cylinders for gravure presses.
- Film strippers and assemblers assemble and position, either using automated equipment or by hand, pieces of film containing all parts of a printing job to produce flats or composite negatives for preparing printing plates or cylinders.
- Platemakers operate vacuum frames, plate processors and step and repeat machines to produce printing plates for various types of presses.
- Prepress technicians operate various computer-controlled studio systems to perform colour separation, retouching and editing that allow changes to be made to a colour negative for printing purposes, plan page layouts and electronically alter shape, size and positions of illustrations and text.
- Scanner operators operate computerized scanning machines or digital cameras to make colour separations and corrections from colour copy or transparencies for use in preparing film, digital files, printing plates or cylinders.
- Proofmakers operate computerized equipment to prepare film, laser or dylux proofs for quality control purposes or for customers’ review
Employment requirements to immigrate to Canada as a camera platemaker
All immigrants who want to work in Canada must meet general as well as specific requirements to work in Canada. Therefore, in order to immigrate to Canada as a camera platemaker, you must meet both requirements.
General requirements to work in Canada
As mentioned above, there are general requirements to move to Canada as a worker. Therefore, to immigrate to Canada as a camera platemaker, you must meet the following requirements.
- Language requirements
- Age requirements
- Education requirements
- Arranged employment
- Work experience
- Your partner’s ability
In order to immigrate to Canada as a camera platemaker, you must prove that you have a working knowledge of the Canadian language in areas of speaking, writing, reading and listening. Therefore, you must take an exam to prove this. This exam can be either English or French language.
Another factor to consider for immigration to Canada is age. Canada has a minimum age for workers. Therefore, before you can Immigrate to Canada as a camera platemaker, you must have reached that age. The minimum age for workers in Canada is 18 years. However, employers can employ underaged children on special occasions but with the permission of Canadian authority.
In order to work in Canada, you must at least complete your secondary education. That means that if you want to Immigrate to Canada as a camera platemaker, you must have completed your secondary education. However, some jobs demand at least a college or university degree.
#4: Arranged employment
With a valid job offer, that is an arranged employment, you can easily immigrate to Canada as a camera platemaker. However, you must meet certain requirements.
If you cannot adapt to the Canadian weather or working conditions, you may not be able to work in Canada. Therefore, you must provide a medical report showing that you are medically fit to work in Canada.
#6: Work experience
Certain professions in Canada demand work experience. However, this is not compulsory for camera platemakers. Therefore, even without work experience, you can still immigrate to Canada as a camera platemaker.
#7: Your partner’s skills
To increase your comprehensive ranking system score, you can add your accompanying spouse’s skills, work experience, language proficiency as well as age can help you score high. This is because your chances of getting an invitation to apply increase.
Specific requirements to immigrate to Canada a camera platemaker
Apart from the general requirements mentioned above, to immigrate to Canada as a camera platemaker, you must still meet the specific requirements for your job. Therefore, you must meet the requirements below:
- Completion of secondary school.
- Completion of a college program in graphic arts technology
- A combination of on-the-job training and specialized college, industry or other courses.
- Trade certification for some occupations in this group is available, however, it is voluntary, in Ontario, Alberta, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
Pathways to immigrate to Canada as a camera platemaker
As a matter of fact, camera platemaking is beginning to become scarce in Canada, therefore, many employers are looking for immigrants to fill some vacant positions in the industry. As such, you can immigrate to Canada as a camera platemaker using one of these programs:
- Express entry
- Provincial Nominee Programs
- In-Demand occupations
- Job offer
- Quebec Experience Class
1: Express entry
Recently, the Canadian government announced that more immigrants are needed in Canada to work. This is as a result of the impact of the COVID-19. Therefore, the gate is open for workers, especially skilled workers. Therefore, cable platemakers can use this as the opportunity to immigrate to Canada. However, using the express entry means that you must meet the requirements. There are three programs under the express entry system:
- Canada experience class
- Federal skilled worker program
- Federal skilled trades program.
2: Provincial Nominee Program
Foreign workers who have a particular province in mind can use the PNP as a pathway to move to Canada. This is because all the provinces in Canada have their own program. However, you must meet the specific requirements for each program. In addition, you must be able to adapt to the weather and working culture in the province.
3: Job offer
Having a job offer means that you have qualified to work in Canada. Therefore, with a valid job offer, you can immigrate to Canada as a camera platemaker. However, your employer must get a clearance from LMIA. in addition to that, he must prove that you arethe best candidate for the job. That is, no Canadian citizen or permanent resident qualifies for the job.
4: In-demand jobs
Another simple way to immigrate to Canada as a camera platemaker is the in-demand job category. Since, there is a scarcity of workers in that section, many employers are looking for replacements. Therefore, you can use this pathway to immigrate to Canada and work.
5: Quebec Experience Class
This is a program for immigrants, especially workers who want to live and work in Canada. Therefore, if you can meet the requirements and you plan to live in Quebec, you can apply for this program. However, you must have a working knowledge of French. This is because French is the official language in the province.
Steps to immigrate to Canada as a camera platemaker
In order to immigrate to Canada as a camera platemaker, you will have to follow the right steps. Because, if you make mistakes, you may begin the whole process, Therefore, the steps below will help you to immigrate to Canada:
Step 1 : Open an express entry account
In order to immigrate to Canada as a camera platemaker, you must visit the IRCC website to create an account. This account is needed for many things. One of them is that you will receive all the news and necessary information through the profile. Secondly, you will also use it to choose your preferred program. Therefore, it is very important to open an account. Meanwhile, make sure that you use the correct details when doing this.
Step 2: Choose a program
After creating your profile, you will have to choose a program. This program allows you to Immigrate to Canada as a camera platemaker. Therefore, you must choose the right program. The programs include:
- Canada Experience Class
- Federal skilled trade program
- Federal skilled worker program
- Provincial Nominee programs
- Quebec Experience Class
- Quebec skilled worker program
Step 3: Find a job in Canada
You can decide to find a job or not. However, with a valid job offer, you can easily immigrate to Canada as a camera platemaker. Therefore, if it is possible for you, find a job in Canada. However, you must meet the the requirements for the job. in addition to that, your employer must be able to prove that you qualify for the job among other applicants including Canadians.
Step 4: Receive an invitation to apply
Once you have created your profile and chosen a program, IRCC will send you an invitation to apply. Meanwhile, only the candidates with high CRS score will receive this invitation. However, you must keep all the necessary documents ready. This is because you have only 60 days to reply to the invitation.
Step 5: Submit your application with supporting documents
When you receive your invitation to apply, you have to reply within the next 60 days or else, your invitation will expire. Therefore, you have to keep your application and supporting documents ready before that time. In addition to the supporting documents, you will also pay a fee of CAD $150.
Step 6: Get your work permit
Once your documents are complete, you will receive your work permit within 28 days. Therefore, be prepared to enter Canada.
Moreover, don’t expect to get your permit in your home country. This is because you will get it when you land in a Canadian port of entry. .
Step 7: Congratulations
You can now arrive in Canada. Normally, you will receive your work permit at a Canadian port of entry. So, don’t worry about that.
However,if, upon your arrival in Canada, you are not able to get your permit. The immigration officer will book an appointment with you on when to come back and collect it.Popular Hard Skills for Canadian Immigrant Workers
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a job offer to immigrate to Canada as a camera platemaker?
No job offer is needed to immigrate to Canada as a camera platemaker. However, with a valid job offer, it becomes easy. Therefore, if it is possible, get a job offer from a Canadian employer.
What is the average salary of a camera platemaker?
The average salary of a camera platemaker in Canada is CAD $57,759 per year. However, depending on your experience and type of job, you can earn more or less.
What is the processing time for a work visa to enter Canada as a camera platemaker?
The processing time for a Canadian work visa is between 3 and 6 months. Though, sometimes, because of some issues, it may take longer. However, if you did not submit any document, you must do that before getting your work permit.
In conclusion, if you truly desire to immigrate to Canada as a camera platemaker, it has become easy.
However, you must make sure that you do the right thing by knowing both the requirements and the steps to follow. Meanwhile, the guidelines above will help you very well.