Thousands of immigrants move to Canada each year. And millions of Canadian families give birth and expand. This means that the government would have to provide a house for these people to live in. This is why houses are constantly being built in Canada to cater for the rising demands. So if you immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher, you will have lots of work.
What makes it even more awesome is the presence of advanced concrete finishing machines in Canada. Tech makes homebuilding fun.
Thousands of houses are built in Canada each year and millions require repairs. Let us look at how you can immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher.
In this full guide, you’re going to learn about:
- Houses and concrete finishers in Canada,
- Jobs to expect when you immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher,
- Duties you will perform as a concrete finisher,
- Requirements to immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher,
- The simple pathways to immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher,
- 7 steps to Immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher, and
- FAQs & Conclusion.
In this article
- Houses and concrete finishers in Canada
- Jobs to expect when you immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher
- Your daily duties if you immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher
- Job requirements to meet before you can immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher
- Requirements to Immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher
- Six general requirements to immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher
- Let’s now look at the specific requirements to immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher
- Pathways to immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher
- #1. Express entry path
- #2. Job offers path
- #3. In-Demand occupations path
- #4. Provincial Nominee Program
- Steps to immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher
- Step #1: Create your Express Entry profile
- Step #2: Choose the right Express Entry program
- Step #3: Get a job offer
- Step 4: Receive an invitation to apply
- Step 5: Apply with supporting documents
- Step 6: Pick up your work permit at your point of entry
- Step 7: Welcome to Canada
- Frequently Asked Questions
Houses and concrete finishers in Canada
As mentioned at the beginning of this article, houses are in demand in Canada. Even more, thousands of homes and structures need constant maintenance. This is even more important for high-rise buildings and structures that need constant monitoring.
So if you immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher, you will have a high income.
The NOC code (National Occupational Classification) for workers in this category is 7282.
Concrete finishers are in high demand in Canada. They smooth freshly poured concrete. They apply curing and surface treatments. This includes maintaining structures like foundations, floors, ceilings, sidewalks, and skyscrapers.
Concrete finishers are mostly employed by construction companies. They may also work on a contract basis and be self-employed.
Jobs to expect when you immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher
It’s important to know that concrete finishing is a broad category. It has job roles listed under it.
So when you want to immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher, you should keep this in mind. It’s wise to know the exact thing you do. This will help you to apply for suitable jobs.
Here are the job roles under concrete finishing:
Job roles as a concrete finisher
If you work with freshly mixed concrete, you probably belong to this category. Check below and see the job roles that are suitable for your skills.
In addition to being self-employed, you can apply to the following job roles:
- Apprentice cement finisher,
- Cement finisher (mason and apprentice),
- Concrete finisher (including mason, patcher, polisher, smoother and apprentice),
- Highway and street cement mason,
- Journeyman/woman cement finisher,
- Maintenance cement mason,
- Precast concrete finisher, and
- Sidewalk concrete finisher.
Your daily duties if you immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher
Canadian home builders have very specific job duties. The better you become at work, the higher you rise through the ranks.
In addition, you’ll earn more pay.
Your responsibilities when you immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher
These are your day-to-day tasks. It will depend on your specific job role as stated above.
- Check form works according to grade,
- Fill hollows and remove high spots to smooth freshly poured concrete,
- Work with power vibrator to compact concrete,
- Level concrete surface according to grade and depth specifications,
- Put desired finish to concrete surfaces using hand and power tools,
- Install anchor bolts, steel plates, door sills and other fixtures in freshly poured concrete,
- Apply hardening and sealing compounds to cure concrete surface,
- Waterproof concrete surfaces, and
- Repair damaged sections of floors, walls, roads and other concrete structures.
Job requirements to meet before you can immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher
To immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher, you have to meet these requirements.
In addition to being skilled, you should:
- Have completed secondary school,
- Show proof of apprenticeship (usually four to five years), OR
- Proof of over three years of work experience. High school, college or industry courses in cement finishing are usually required to be eligible for trade certification.
- Trade certification for concrete finishers is compulsory in Quebec. It is voluntary in Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Manitoba, Alberta and British Columbia.
- Trade certification for cement masons is available, but voluntary, in Ontario.
- Red Seal endorsement is also available when you complete the interprovincial Red Seal examination.
NOTE: As you gain more experience, you may be promoted to a supervisory role.
Exclusions from these job descriptions
The following job titles are excluded from this category:
- Bricklayers (See 7281 NOC code),
- Concrete products machine operators (See 9414 NOC code), and
- Supervisors of concrete finishers (See 7205 NOC code)
Requirements to Immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher
In order to immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher, you have to meet Immigration’s general and specific requirements.
In addition to your skills, you will need to meet the following general requirements.
Six general requirements to immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher
In order to move to Canada, foreigners have to meet these. They are quite easy to pass.
Let’s see them:
1. Language requirements
In order to immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher, you will need to know how to speak English, French or both.
You will take an exam to show your language proficiency.
2. Age requirements
There is always an age limit to all construction jobs.
Those that don’t meet this requirement will be denied when they apply to building jobs in Canada.
3. Education background
The basic education requirement for those that want to immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher is this:
You must have completed your secondary education. You should also have a certificate that shows your work experience or apprenticeship. This usually isn’t a problem for experienced workers.
4. Arranged/Standing job offers
Firstly, this is not required. But it is ideal.
When you already have a job offer waiting for you, getting immigration approval will be easier and faster. So, apply to job offers before or while making your application to Canadian immigration.
5. Environment adaptability
Next, not everyone can adapt to different environments. Since winter in Canada gets very cold, a medical report is a must-have. This means that sickly individuals won’t be approved.
Your medical fitness report must be satisfied before you can immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher.
6. Work experience
Construction companies employ foreigners that have high experience.
The more years of experience the better your chances. This is also the case if you want to immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher. Find out how to understand your Express entry CRS result as a concrete finisher.
Let’s now look at the specific requirements to immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher
Here are the specific requirements involved:
- A secondary school certificate,
- Your qualifications (Apprenticeship, certifications like Red Seal, etc), and
- Work experience report.
Pathways to immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher
In order to immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher, you have to go through immigration.
The main pathways include:
- Express entry,
- Job offers,
- In-demand occupations and
- Provincial nominee programs
#1. Express entry path
This is one pathway to immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher.
Firstly, you create an express entry profile. Secondly, you submit your details for review.
You’ll have three profile options to choose from, and they are:
- Canada experience class,
- Federal skilled worker program, and
- Federal skilled trades program.
The main path to choose if you want to immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher through Express entry is the Federal skilled worker program.
Meet the minimum requirements and you will have a high chance of immigrating to Canada as a concrete finisher.
#2. Job offers path
Applying to immigration with a job offer is the best.
Once you have a job offer, getting your visa and work permit will be easier and faster.
#3. In-Demand occupations path
Building jobs are in-demand in Canada. This was confirmed by the National Occupational Classification (NOC).
This means that you have a very good chance to immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher using the NOC code 7282.
#4. Provincial Nominee Program
In addition to the categories above, you can immigrate via the provincial nominee program. Note that when a province nominates you, you have to live and work in that province.
A Canadian province will nominate a skilled concrete finisher that wants to settle and live in that province. This program is called the Provincial nominee program.
If you wish to immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher, this is one program that works well for most foreigners if you do things right.
Steps to immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher
Follow the steps below to start your immigration to Canada if you’re a concrete finisher:
Step #1: Create your Express Entry profile
Firstly, you create your express entry account.
This is the first step if you want to immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher. Visit the IRCC website and create a free immigrant account.
You’ll have to pay an application fee (CA$150) later.
Step #2: Choose the right Express Entry program
In addition to opening your Express Entry account, you also have to apply for the right category.
Here are the four options to choose from:
- Canadian Experience Class
- Federal skilled trade program
- Federal skilled worker program and
- Provincial Nominee programs
Since you wish to immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher, we recommend you apply through the Federal Skilled Worker program.
Step #3: Get a job offer
This step is helpful. Finding a job helps to fasten your application.
You can apply to jobs while waiting for your invitation to apply for a work visa. Presenting job offers will increase your chances of success.
You can look for concrete finishing job offers at:
- Concrete Floor Contractors Association of Canada.
- If you’re going to Ontario, check out the Ontario Formwork Association.
Step 4: Receive an invitation to apply
After registering, you will receive an invitation to apply. You will be judged based on the Comprehensive Ranking System also known as the CRS.
Once you create your express entry account, the next thing to do is to gather your documents and keep them ready. This is important.
Step 5: Apply with supporting documents
Once you receive the invitation to apply, start your application immediately.
Remember that you only have 60 days. Try to submit your application earlier for faster consideration.
Get these supporting documents ready. Your:
- Job offer letter (if available),
- Language proficiency test result,
- ID documents,
- Proof of funds, and
- Document that verifies your work experience and/or apprenticeship.
To complete the application, you will pay an application fee of CA$150.
Step 6: Pick up your work permit at your point of entry
Processing a visa usually takes about two weeks. This applies to everyone. Once your visa is approved, your work permit is also processed.
It is usually available at the airport where you’ll land in Canada.
Step 7: Welcome to Canada
Once your visa is approved, you should start planning your trip to Canada.
You will get great joy building and repairing marvelous structures in Canada.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a job offer to immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher?
It’s good to have an offer, it’s not necessary.
What is the average salary of a concrete finisher in Canada?
The average annual salary of a concrete finisher is ~CA$50,000 per year. However, this depends on experience and your willingness to work. You can earn way more or less.
What is the processing time for a work visa to immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher?
The processing time for a Canadian work visa is between 3 and 6 months.
Follow this guide to successfully immigrate to Canada as a concrete finisher. We wish you instant success in your applications!