Are you seeking a way to immigrate to Canada as a construction millwright? Search no more, as this article discusses how to immigrate to Canada as a construction millwright.
Millwright career is bright and full of moneymaking opportunities. The good thing about this field is you get practical experience and in-depth knowledge about advanced machinery, the installation, and repairing process.
In Canada, there are lots of millwright apprenticeship and other related jobs which provide job security and handsome money earning opportunities.
Therefore, in this article, you will learn everything you need to know about immigrating to Canada as a construction millwright.
In this article
- What do Construction Millwright do?
- Job descriptions of a Construction Millwright
- Examples of jobs under construction millwright
- Employment requirement to immigrate to Canada as a Construction Millwright
- Specific requirement to immigrate to Canada as a construction millwright
- Additional information
- Pathways to immigrate to Canada as a Construction Millwright
- Express entry
- Provincial Nominee Program
- In-Demand occupations
- Job offer
- Quebec Experience Class
- Steps to immigrate to Canada as a construction millwright
- Step 1: Sign up to express entry
- Step 2: Enter a program
- Step 3: Find a job in Canada
- Step 4: Receive an invitation to apply
- Step 5: Submit your application with supporting documents
- Step 6: Get your work permit
- Step 7: Congratulations
- Frequently Asked Questions
What do Construction Millwright do?
Millwrights are also responsible for the creation of maintenance plans to keep the machines running as efficiently as possible.
They can also be called in on an emergency basis if equipment breaks unexpectedly. They can help get the machine repaired and running again, helping to reduce downtime for the company
Additionally, construction millwrights and industrial mechanics install, maintain, troubleshoot, overhaul and repair stationary industrial machinery and mechanical equipment.
However, this unit group includes industrial textile machinery mechanics and repairers. Millwrighting contractors employ construction millwrights.
Thus, industrial mechanics are employed in manufacturing plants, utilities and other industrial establishments. They also move and relocate machinery on- and off-site.
Job descriptions of a Construction Millwright
However, if you are planning to immigrate to Canada as a construction millwright, below are likely duties, tasks, and responsibilities expected of you.
- Read blueprints, diagrams and schematic drawings to determine work procedures.
- Install, align, dismantle and move stationary industrial machinery and mechanical equipment, such as pumps, fans, tanks, conveyors, furnaces and generators according to layout plans using hand and power tools.
- Operate hoisting and lifting devices such as cranes, jacks and tractors to position machinery and parts during the installation, set-up and repair of machinery.
- Inspect and examine machinery and equipment to detect and investigate irregularities and malfunctions.
- Install, troubleshoot and maintain power transmission, vacuum, hydraulic and pneumatic systems, and programmable logic controls.
- Adjust machinery and repair or replace defective parts.
- Operate machine tools such as lathes and grinders to fabricate parts required during overhaul, maintenance or set-up of machinery.
- Clean, lubricate and perform other routine maintenance work on machinery.
- Construct foundations for machinery or direct other workers to construct foundations.
- Assemble machinery and equipment prior to installation using hand and power tools and welding equipment.
Examples of jobs under construction millwright
If you qualify under the NOC code 7311 construction millwright in Canada, you can get employment opportunity under the following job titles
- Ammunition-assembling machine adjuster
- Apprentice industrial mechanic
- Automatic knitting machine pattern setter
- Bakery machinery mechanic
- Boiler- house machinery mechanic
- Braiding machine setter
- Fiberglass-forming machine repairer
- Concentrating plant mechanic
- Construction millwright
- Conveyor repairer
- Mail-processing equipment mechanic
- Utility plant maintenance mechanic
- Water- filtration plant mechanic
- Windmill repairer
- Wire repairer – textile manufacturing
- Carpet loom setter – textile manufacturing
- Carton-forming machine repairer etc.
- Heavy-duty equipment mechanics (See 7312 Heavy-duty equipment mechanics)
- Industrial instrument technicians and mechanics (See 2243 Industrial instrument technicians and mechanics)
- Supervisors of industrial mechanics and millwrights (See 7301 Contractors and supervisors, mechanic trades)
Employment requirement to immigrate to Canada as a Construction Millwright
General requirements to work in Canada
The general requirements for immigrating to Canada as a worker include:
- Education requirements
- Language requirements
- Arranged employment
- Age requirements
- Work experience
- Your partner’s ability
The minimum education to work in Canada as an immigrant is secondary school education. However, you might need other education requirements depending on the job you want to apply.
Firstly, before you can immigrate to Canada, you must reach a certain language benchmark. This will show that you can work in Canada using the Canadian language (English and French).
The best ways to immigrate to Canada as a construction millwright is to arrange employment with a Canadian employer.
However, the employer must show that no Canadian citizen or permanent resident can fill the position.
Another factor that IRCC will check before allowing you to immigrate to Canada as a construction millwright is your adaptability in Canada.
Therefore, you must provide a medical report showing that you are medically fit. In addition to that, you must be able to adapt to the working demands of your job.
The minimum age to work in Canada is 18 year. You must be 18 years to work in Canada as a construction millwright.
However, some employers can employ children under the working age if they meet the requirements.
Another huge factor for immigrating to Canada is your work experience. Therefore, if you have enough work experience, you can use the Canada experience class. However, you can use other programs.
Your partner’s ability
The work experience, skills, language proficiency and age of your spouse or common law partner can also help you to immigrate to Canada as a construction millwright, which increases your CRS point.
Specific requirement to immigrate to Canada as a construction millwright
- Completion of secondary school and training courses or a vocational program is usually required. Completion of a three- to four-year apprenticeship program
a combination of over five years of work experience and industry courses in industrial machinery repair or millwrighting is usually required to be eligible for trade certification.
- Textile machinery mechanics hired from other industries may require additional training in textile processes and experience as a textile manufacturing machinery operator.
- Industrial mechanic (millwright) trade certification is available, but voluntary, in all provinces and territories.
- You can get Construction millwright trade certification in Quebec and Ontario.
- Industrial sewing machine mechanic trade certification is available, but voluntary, in Quebec.
- Red Seal endorsement is also available to qualified industrial mechanics or millwrights upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.
- Construction millwrights are mostly engaged in the initial installation of industrial plant machinery and equipment; industrial mechanics are more concerned with the post-installation maintenance and repair of machinery and equipment.
- Industrial mechanics and millwrights may be cross-trained in a second trade such as pipefitting, welding, machining or electrical maintenance.
- The Red Seal endorsement allows for interprovincial mobility.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
Pathways to immigrate to Canada as a Construction Millwright
There are different ways you can immigrate to Canada as a construction millwright.
Therefore, this can be done under any of the following pathways:
- Express entry
- Provincial Nominee Programs
- In-Demand occupations
- Job offer
- Quebec Experience Class
The Canada express entry has three programs under it for workers who want to immigrate to Canada as a construction millwright.
More so, express entry can be categorized under different programs. The programs include
- Canada experience class
- Federal skilled worker program
- Federal skilled trades program.
In order to immigrate to Canada as a construction millwright, the best program here is the Federal skilled worker program.
However, if you have the needed experience, you can as well apply under Canadian Experience Class.
Provincial Nominee Program
There is a provincial nominee program for every province in Canada. Therefore, if you plan to immigrate to Canada as a construction millwright you can use any of them.
However, you must plan to live as well as work in that province or territory.
Individuals with a certain job offer in one of the Canadian provinces can immigrate to Canada. In fact, NOC classifies certain jobs in Canada as In-demands jobs.
As a result, you may be able to immigrate to Canada as a construction millwright through this pathway.
You can see if your position is on the list of in-demand jobs maintained by the NOC. If it’s on the list, you can apply to work as a construction millwright in Canada, which is a high-demand job.
This is an easy pathway to immigrate to Canada as a construction millright. However, before you can do this, you must get a valid job offer from a Canadian employer.
In addition, the employer must get a certificate from the Labour Market Impact Assessment before employing.
Quebec Experience Class
This is one of several immigration programs operated by the province of Quebec. PEQ is ideal for candidates with French-language proficiency who have legally acquired work experience in Quebec.
PEQ is one of Quebec’s priority immigration programs, meaning that applications are processed at a much faster rate than other programs, such as Quebec Skilled Worker (QSW).
The province of Quebec accepts one of the following French-language proficiency:
- Test d’évaluation du français adapté pour le Québec(TEFAQ)
- Test de connaissance du français pour le Québec(TCF-Québec)
- Test d’évaluation du français(TEF)
Steps to immigrate to Canada as a construction millwright
Below are the important steps to follow when you want to immigrate to Canada as a construction millwright.
Step 1: Sign up to express entry
The first step towards immigrating to Canada as a construction millwright is to visit the IRCC website and sign up.
This sign up means creating an express entry profile. Without an express entry profile, you cannot receive updates about Canada immigration.
Therefore, you must open an account. In addition, you must frequently visit the profile to check for updates.
Step 2: Enter a program
Secondly, you must choose the best program that suites your profile. Therefore, you must check to know the program that you qualify for. The programs include:
- Canada Experience Class
- Federal skilled worker program
- Provincial Nominee program
- Quebec Experience Class
- Quebec skilled worker program
Step 3: Find a job in Canada
However, if you want to immigrate to Canada as a construction millwright easily, you will have to find a job in Canada.
With a valid job offer, you will score more points in the Comprehensive Ranking System. Hence, your chances of getting an invitation to apply increase.
However, your employer must prove that no Canadian citizen or permanent resident can fill the position.
Step 4: Receive an invitation to apply
If you are among the applicants with highest points, you will receive an invitation to apply. You must reply within 60 days of receiving an invitation to apply.
Therefore, all your supporting documents must be ready.
Step 5: Submit your application with supporting documents
The next move after getting an invitation to apply is to submit your application. In addition to the application, you must include all the necessary documents.
Step 6: Get your work permit
However, within one month of submitting your application, you will receive the final report about your application.
However, if you are successful, you will receive a letter telling you that you have been issued a work permit.
Step 7: Congratulations
Congratulations for a successful work permit to immigrate to Canada as a construction millwright.
However, make sure you pick up your work permit at a Canadian border crossing. You will not be able to work in Canada if you do not have it.
Becoming a professional construction millwright means joining one of the oldest and most respected trades in the world.
However, if you like working with machines, precision instruments, and tools, and have a keen eye for perfect assemblies, then you have the basic skills to build a stable career for a lifetime.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a job offer to immigrate to Canada as a construction millwright?
You must use a job offer to immigrate to Canada as a construction millwright. However, if you can get a valid job offer from a Canadian employer, it becomes easy.
What is the processing time for a work visa to enter Canada as a construction millwright?
The normal time to process a work permit in Canada is between 2 to 6 months.