Great and beautiful outcomes await you right now should you choose to immigrate to Canada as a Dietician. This is because dieticians are among the category of skilled workers who are highly sort after in Canada.
The demand for dieticians in Canada is on the rise as we speak, designated as an in-demand occupation in the Canadian NOC List with the code 3132.
If you are a qualified dietician you are certainly eligible to immigrate to Canada and likewise, eligible for full permanent residency to as high as Canadian citizenship under the Express Entry programs.
In this article
- Who is a Dietician?
- What are the main duties of a Dieticians
- Additional information
- Illustrative examples of the dietician occupation in Canada
- What Qualifications do you need to Immigrate to Canada as a Dietitian?
- Exclusions in the Dietician job category in Canada
- Requirements to Immigrate to Canada as a Dietitian
- Specific Requirement to Immigrate to Canada as a dietician
- Pathways to immigrate to Canada as a Dietitian under the NOC code
- How do I get to immigrate to Canada as a Dietician?
- Steps to Immigrating to Canada as a Dietician
- Dietitian Jobs in Canada
- Frequently Asked Questions
Who is a Dietician?
A dietitian, medical dietitian, or dietician is someone who is an expert in the act of identifying and treating malnutrition which are disease-related.
In addition to conducting medical nutrition therapy, for instance, in designing an enteral tube feeding regimen for clients or arresting the effects of cancer cachexia.
Most dietitians are employed in hospitals, they therefore, attend to patients offering specific nutritional assessment and intervention as requested by a doctor or nurse.
Thus, if a patient has lost the ability to swallow or require artificial nutrition as a result of an intestinal failure, dieticians provide the nutrition regimen and monitor such cases.
Consequently, dietitians are the only regulated healthcare professionals certified to assess, diagnose, and treat such cases.
In addition, in the United Kingdom, the dietitian occupation is a ‘protected title’, this means identifying yourself as a dietitian without appropriate education, registration and certification is prohibited by law.
What are the main duties of a Dieticians
The following are some of the duties of Dietitians and nutritionists
- Dieticians create, prescribe and monitor nutrition and food preparation and service regimens in hospitals, schools, nursing homes, company cafeterias and other institution where their services are required.
- Give nutrition guidance, interpret prescriptions and offer consultation services to health professionals, dietetic interns, individuals, government, community groups as well as the media.
- Monitor the nutritional status of individuals and assist in preventing or treating inadequate nutrition effects.
- Develop, Plan, assess and conduct nutrition sensitization programs with developing educational materials for various clients.
- Work on a self-employed basis or as a member of a team offering nutritional requirements to patients. In addition, they plan, carry out and monitor normal and therapeutic diet programs to maintain and promote general health.
- They conduct research, analyze recent scientific nutritional studies, and monitor the program effectiveness in improving the diet value, taste, appearance and preparation of food.
- Dieticians within the industry work in the creation, analysis and evaluation, in addition to marketing of food and nutritional products, likewise as company reps supplying products and products-related information to health professionals.
- Relate with health professionals, government, and community groups to provide consultation in areas of nutrition interpretation, intervention and policy
- Supervise the tutoring and training of dietetic interns.
- Dietitians and nutritionists can specialize in any of the following areas:
- Administrative dietetics,
- Clinical dietetics,
- Community dietetics,
- Public health nutrition
- Research dietetics.
Dietitians and nutritionists can grow and progress in their career to management positions depending on additional experience.
Illustrative examples of the dietician occupation in Canada
- administrative dietitian
- administrative nutritionist
- clinical dietitian
- community nutritionist
- consultant dietitian
- nutrition specialist
- professional dietitian (P.Dt.)
- private practice dietitian
- public health dietitian
- public health nutritionist
- registered dietitian (RD)
- research dietitian
- therapeutic dietitian
- therapeutic nutritionist
What Qualifications do you need to Immigrate to Canada as a Dietitian?
Dietician Employment requirements in Canada
- Dietitians must have a bachelor’s or master’s degree in dietetics, nutrition or in a related field like food and nutritional science or biochemistry with supervised practical training.
- You must register with a regulatory body, this is a requirement in all province in Canada for dietitians.
- Be a member in the national association of Dietitians of Canada.
- If you are a nutritionist, you would usually require the same education and training as a dietitian.
- Registration with a regulatory body is a must for nutritionists in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec and Alberta (you must registered as a dietitian-nutritionist).
- Nutritionists can also be registered as member with the national association, Dietitians of Canada, or in a provincial regulatory body, as long as you have the same education and practical training as a dietitian
Exclusions in the Dietician job category in Canada
These includes the following:
- Dietary technicians
- Directors of dietetics
- Food service supervisors
- Home economists
These various job title and roles in which a Dietitian can be recognized are all eligible to submit an application under the NOC category of 3132.
Requirements to Immigrate to Canada as a Dietitian
Firstly, in your desire to immigrate to Canada as a dietician, you must undergo the process of calculating your Canada Immigration points for the Express Entry using the Canadian Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS).
You get the CRS Points when you meet the following general requirements (amongst other requirements).
- Your age at the time of application
- Educational Qualifications
- Language proficiency (English/French ability)
- Your partner’s skills, training and qualification
- Work experience
In addition, to providing you with the necessary CRS points, these criteria also add to your overall Immigration Points score which must equal or exceed a total of 67 to be eligible for immigration in the Express Entry program.
Specific Requirement to Immigrate to Canada as a dietician
- You must register with a regulatory body, this is a requirement in all province in Canada for dietitians. Nutritionists also must register as member with the national association, Dietitians of Canada, or in a provincial regulatory body, as long as you have the same education and practical training as a dietitian
Pathways to immigrate to Canada as a Dietitian under the NOC code
All occupation on the Canada NOC List is designated an immigration code, thus the code for those looking to immigrate to Canada as a Dietitian is 3132. This is the same as the NOC Code for Nutritionist.
As a dietician who wants to immigrate to Canada, the express entry process is not the only option for a Dietitian to immigrate; you also have other immigration pathways to secure your Canada Visa from the start.
Firstly, as a dietitian, you are eligible to submit an application forCanada Immigration in the various Canadian Government Immigration programs as a result of the demand for Dietitians in Canada being so great,
Thus, the occupation have been included on the targeted occupations list, commonly referred to as the National Occupation Code in Demand List (NOC list). Therefore, the Dietitians NOC code is 3132
Likewise, note that the Canada Express Entry is not a visa class by itself, however, it is just a method (or database) which Canadian Immigration employs to choose the right candidates for a Canadian Permanent Residency Visa, nevertheless, as an applicant looking to immigrate to Canada as a dietician, you can be looking at the:
Therefore, as a Dietitian you are qualified to make an Express Entry for Canada Residency as long as you have the right skills, work experience and qualifications from your home country.
How do I get to immigrate to Canada as a Dietician?
This mainly happens through a CIC draw of the top candidates from the Express Entry pool, thereafter, they are issued an Invitation to Apply based on how many Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points they have.
The total Comprehensive Ranking Score is 1200. Meanwhile, if you have an offer of employment in Canada or a provincial nomination certificate, this will grant you an amazing 600 points.
Therefore, when you score the minimum required points or above on your Express Entry CRS then you have a very good chance to immigrate to Canada as a Dietician without a Job Offer or Provincial Nomination.
However, if you score less than the minimum points the next best option for you will be through a Provincial Nomination pathway, likewise, you can immigrate by securing a Job Offer in Canada.Immigrate to Canada as a Civil Engineering Technologist
Steps to Immigrating to Canada as a Dietician
Upon receiving an Invitation to Apply (ITA) from Canadian Immigration from the status of your Express Entry application, you have not more than 60 days in which to lodge a formal application.
Therefore, you shouldn’t lodge an Express Entry application unless you already know your points by verification through the various testing, education equivalence certificates and skilled worker assessments provided by Canadian immigration.
Similarly, you must do these assessments before you get any points for them; likewise, because your express entry profile will only be valid for one year, it is therefore, important that you present the best possible points from the beginning.
Before lodging your express entry make sure to have your qualifications and certificates verified as stated by the immigration.
Dietitian Jobs in Canada
The Dietitian code 3132 in the NOC list as been in-demand for years, this presents opportunities across Canada.
If you qualify as new and skilled Permanent resident of Canada, you get a job working full time from the get go. Additionally, dietitian Jobs in Canada usually are better paying than in the UK, Europe and Asia.
Likewise, the Canadian employment law supports the work-life balance. The Canadian industry body for Dietitians is the Canadian Association of Dietitians.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it possible to immigrate to Canada as a Dietitian without a job offer?
Yes, you can. This only possible however, if you have a good total CRS score on your Express Entry application and likewise, meet the 67 immigration point benchmark qualification for the Canada Federal Skilled Worker Visa.
Though, in general there’s not a minimum CRS score required to make application for a Dietitian Canada Express Entry profile.
However, securing a job offer will award you with an instant CRS boost of 200 points, thus, it’s wise to begin this process as soon as is practicable, including job hunting.
immigrating to Canada as a dietician can give you your best life yet, this is because there is so much to gain when you come to Canada, even more so, being a dietician in Canada, you have the opportunity to become a permanent resident in Canada, aside from other immediate benefits that will accrue to you.